PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Computers

Reacher
2003-Mar-05, 05:27 PM
I recently read a letter on the new scientist website about Quantum computers. Firstly, i have no idea what one of thers is. seconly, it made some unusual statements, including:
When operating a quantum computer, you would not need to run a program to acheice a task. you would merely wait the amount of time it would take to run the program,and at the end of this period, the task would be done.
With this in mind, the author went on to say(and this is a rough quote, taken from my blurry memory): "so, theoretically, would we not even have to invent the things ourselves, just wait the correct amount of time, and there they would be?"
I find that to be the single most confusing and proposterous thing i have ever heard, and i go to a government high school!
Is there any truth to this baffling letter, and can a "Quantum computer" ever really exist?

g99
2003-Mar-05, 09:06 PM
I don't know alot about Quantum computers but a popular novelist takes this theory into one of his story lines. He describes it pretty well and makes it seem theoretically possible.

Now he does go into some weird tangents (like intelegent Design) in his other books (and goes onto theoretical psychologial things like common minds etc. later on in this book), but the basic facts about the Quantum computers seem soundly based in this one.

Robert J. Sawyer (http://www.sfwriter.com/exfh.htm) Called Factoring Humanity

Click on "Jacket Blurb" to see a synopsis of the book.

I know this won't be much of a help right now, but i tought you might be interested. Sorry. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-05 16:07 ]</font>

darkhunter
2003-Mar-05, 09:19 PM
Easiest oversimplification for Quantum computers: Massivly paralleled chips that accomplist all of the steps simultaneously.

Probably off the mark but thats the easiest way I have to get my head wrapped around it...so I'm probably wrong.

g99
2003-Mar-05, 09:26 PM
The way the novel describes it is that it is a single small computer. But this computer links with the same computer in diferent dimentions and realities. So you will get millions upon millions of computers each doing the work in the space of one computer. But the problem is that there is no way to really tell what piece of the project that single computer will do.