PDA

View Full Version : The movie "Signs" in 4 steps

Gruesome
2006-Mar-06, 01:38 PM
Purty durn hilarious.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=signs

Metricyard
2006-Mar-06, 02:45 PM
Funny link. Pretty much sums it up. For some reason I did enjoy the movie, even with it's glaring flaws.

Gillianren
2006-Mar-06, 08:44 PM
One of the people at my Oscar party last night mentioned she has it on her Netflix list (there was an AmEx commercial with M. Knight Shyamalan), and I said, "You know, I hear that's really bad." (She has The Village on her list, too.) However, she apparently wants to see all of his movies. I've half a mind to send her the cartoon so she can skip the movie.

Doe, John
2006-Mar-06, 11:56 PM
the only one of his movies I've liked so far is "Shattered"or was it "Unbreakable"? I forget, but that one was excellent.

Gillianren
2006-Mar-07, 03:17 AM
the only one of his movies I've liked so far is "Shattered"or was it "Unbreakable"? I forget, but that one was excellent.

Unbreakable--I love that one, too. I enjoyed The Sixth Sense, but I thought Unbreakable was better.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Mar-07, 08:57 AM
Unbreakable--I love that one, too. I enjoyed The Sixth Sense, but I thought Unbreakable was better.

Me too.

Dave Mitsky

Tog
2006-Mar-07, 10:54 AM
I like Sixth Sense the best.
Unbreakable had a rushed feel to the end, but otherwise I liked it a lot.
Signs I liked up until they got out of the cellar. Until then there was no clear shot of just what the danger might have been and that aded to the the suspense for me. Once the Sleestack showed up it got pretty silly. Again, it felt rushed.
The Village I liked alot, even though I knew what the twist was going to be about 20 minutes into it. (When they were in the watchtower the first time).

I think Sixth Sense actually hurt his later movies by putting a lot more pressure on them to be what Sense was.

TinFoilHat
2006-Mar-07, 04:30 PM
I haven't seen Signs, but I have read reviews and plot synopsis of it. It sounds like it makes no sense, right? But thinking about it, I was struck with an explanation that seems to explain everything.

It's an alien reality TV show.

"We've taken these condemned prisoners, stripped them naked, and dropped them on a planet covered with corrosive liquids and hostile natives! Armed with just their wits and some almost entierly useless weapons, they'll have to avoid capture or death and try to make it back to the dropship! We'll be recording their every move on hidden cameras for your viewing pleasure. Don't miss this week's episode of the Running Zzorg!"

The mysterious giant symbols carved in wheat fields beforehand would, of course, be the corporate logos of the show's sponsors.

NEOWatcher
2006-Mar-07, 07:58 PM
This adaptation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306047/)of Signs was more realistic.

Doodler
2006-Mar-07, 08:31 PM
I haven't seen Signs, but I have read reviews and plot synopsis of it. It sounds like it makes no sense, right? But thinking about it, I was struck with an explanation that seems to explain everything.

It's an alien reality TV show.

"We've taken these condemned prisoners, stripped them naked, and dropped them on a planet covered with corrosive liquids and hostile natives! Armed with just their wits and some almost entierly useless weapons, they'll have to avoid capture or death and try to make it back to the dropship! We'll be recording their every move on hidden cameras for your viewing pleasure. Don't miss this week's episode of the Running Zzorg!"

The mysterious giant symbols carved in wheat fields beforehand would, of course, be the corporate logos of the show's sponsors.

:D:D:D:D

Beautiful

jscotti
2006-Mar-07, 10:21 PM
Pretty funny cartoon. I always called "Signs" - "Signs of a bad movie". The movie had so much potential and considering Shyamalan's previous movies, I expected a lot more from it as well. Instead of being original and intriguing, it degenerated into the standard alien invasion movie. And not a very good one at that. Wouldn't it have been cool if Mel Gibson's character had totally generated the invasion in his own mind and the aliens were benevolent (at least until they ran into Gibson's character) or maybe even nonexistant? Any sort of twist like that would have perhaps saved the film in my mind. Blah to Signs - 2 thumbs down.

Moose
2006-Mar-08, 10:45 AM
TFH, I think you've covered all the bases. Well done. :)

Gruesome
2006-Mar-08, 02:51 PM
I like Sixth Sense the best.

Can't argue with that. I saw it on TV about a week ago and it still creeps me out. I'm not sure why that movie is so powerful, but darn if it doesn't work.

That scene where he's in the bathroom and the woman walks in front of the camera....whoa....makes me want to hide under the bed.

Darasen
2006-Mar-08, 04:44 PM
Funny cartoon.
"The Village" is best movie yet IMHO.
Signs was his least favourite of mine though I liked it. Seems to me that his last 2 were about the characters more than the "twist" I think that is what throws some people off.

Hokie
2006-Mar-08, 05:12 PM
Pretty funny cartoon. I always called "Signs" - "Signs of a bad movie". The movie had so much potential and considering Shyamalan's previous movies, I expected a lot more from it as well. Instead of being original and intriguing, it degenerated into the standard alien invasion movie. And not a very good one at that. Wouldn't it have been cool if Mel Gibson's character had totally generated the invasion in his own mind and the aliens were benevolent (at least until they ran into Gibson's character) or maybe even nonexistant? Any sort of twist like that would have perhaps saved the film in my mind. Blah to Signs - 2 thumbs down.

But it is not a ailen invaion movie.

Spoilers

It is not really about aliens at all it is about Mel Gibson's character finding his faith again.

Moose
2006-Mar-08, 05:21 PM
WARNING, MASSIVE SPOILER CONTAINED WITHIN! SELECT TEXT AT OWN PERIL

Funny cartoon.
"The Village" is best movie yet IMHO.
I'm recalling Bart Simpson's quotable to Lisa when she's reading him Edgar Allen Poe on one of the Halloween specials:

"Hey Leese, you know what's scarier than nothing? ANYTHING!" :p

Ara Pacis
2006-Mar-13, 07:34 AM
I think that Signs was actually two movies. One part was a really good psychological drama that built up tension then there was the other part... which was a cop-out long the lines of "and he woke up and the enemy death ray charging up was actually his alarm clock going off."

Lianachan
2006-Mar-15, 11:00 AM
Sixth Sense - liked it, although the twist was pretty obvious and well sign-posted.

Unbreakable - I agree that it had a rushed feel to the end, but apart from that I really liked it.

Signs - terrible, terrible film with no redeeming characteristics whatsoever.

The Village - not seen it, didn't really fancy it from the trailers.

parallaxicality
2006-Mar-19, 12:13 AM
The Villiage is OK; not really a horror film, more of a Twilight Zone episode.