PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with cascading style sheets?

Glom
2006-Mar-06, 09:43 PM
A few weeks ago, I reformatted my entire website to accept style information from a cascading style sheet. The problem is that when I upload an update to GeoCities, it refuses to recognise the update and keeps on using the old one. Anyone else ever have this problem?

weatherc
2006-Mar-06, 10:20 PM
A few weeks ago, I reformatted my entire website to accept style information from a cascading style sheet. The problem is that when I upload an update to GeoCities, it refuses to recognise the update and keeps on using the old one. Anyone else ever have this problem?This sounds more like a server issue to me than a problem with your style sheets. I know that when a web site changes servers, sometimes it takes a couple of days for that change to work its way throught the system, and this sounds like its similar to that kind of situation. It doesn't seem like there is much that you could do about it on your end, save for changing web hosts. But that's just a guess, really.

ToSeek
2006-Mar-06, 10:28 PM
I spent some time looking at your source files and nothing jumps out at me. If it works fine when hosted on your local machine, then weatherc could be right.

Roving Philosopher
2006-Mar-07, 03:26 AM
You might also try flushing your browser cache. Your browser may be grabbing a local copy of the page rather than the server copy.

Lance
2006-Mar-07, 03:33 AM
Absolutely!

The first thing any developer that uses IE should do is:

Tools -> Options -> Settings:

Check for newer versions of stored pages:
Every visit to the page

mid
2006-Mar-07, 10:39 AM
It sounds like you need to write a program to get rid of them. You could call it DeCSS, perhaps.

Or perhaps not.

Lance
2006-Mar-07, 02:53 PM
It sounds like you need to write a program to get rid of them. You could call it DeCSS, perhaps.

Or perhaps not.
ROFL!

Glom
2006-Mar-07, 07:02 PM
I see what you're getting at, but it's not working. My computer doesn't seem to want to accept that I've updated the css. I even tried deleting the copy in the temporary internet files specifically.

I checked the site from the computers at uni and they read it fine. Do the figure labels, such as here (http://www.geocities.com/freedomforfission/sci/fission.html) appear in a large font on a small font?

Glom
2006-Mar-07, 07:13 PM
Okay, after finally finding the folder for the temporary internet files, I couldn't copy over the proper css file into it. It doesn't let you copy into that folder.

On a different note, does anyone know anything about a program called Python? I discovered a folder for it hidden on the my hard drive.

ToSeek
2006-Mar-07, 07:26 PM
Python is a scripting language.

Argos
2006-Mar-07, 07:27 PM
It must be server cache problem.

Do the figure labels, such as here appear in a large font on a small font?

Small, for me.

Afaik, Python (http://www.python.org/) is an object oriented programming language.

Roving Philosopher
2006-Mar-07, 08:40 PM
According to my HTML book, the CSS should have spaces after the colons.

Edit: I should point out the book is about 5 years old, so standards may have changed since then

Roving Philosopher
2006-Mar-08, 02:06 AM
Okay, after finally finding the folder for the temporary internet files, I couldn't copy over the proper css file into it. It doesn't let you copy into that folder.
I missed this bit last time through the thread. You want to empty the cache (Temporary Internet Files) through the Tools menu rather than try to manually delete anything. And you don't need to copy anything into it. By clearing out the cache, you force your browser to pull the file from the server.

For IE, you go to Tools > Internet Options > General and click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files

For Firefox, its Tools > Options >Privacy and click the Clear button next to Cache (this is ver 1.07. I don't know if 1.5 changed that).

Did you make any content changes to the webpage, or just add in the stylesheet? You can always make some small change to the content, and see if that shows up when you pull up the page. That would at least tell you if your browser is finding the right page.

Taks
2006-Mar-08, 05:59 AM
uh, 777, i can think of NO reason for Python to be on your drive without your permission. it is a language that is used heavily in the gaming industry, and even embedded developers like it for simple script execution (gaming is largely scripted commands to execute blocks of other code, typically written in C or C++). scripting is a good way to run trojans in the background in order to open back doors for intruders.

IMO, run the heaviest, dutiest virus scanner you can find and be certain to run an updated spyware program. you may even want to change the name of the directory temporarily and see if it impacts any known good programs (if it does, change it back).

taks

Taks
2006-Mar-08, 06:00 AM
Edit: I should point out the book is about 5 years old, so standards may have changed since thenthe nice thing about standards is that they never change, once accepted. version numbers, however, are an entirely different loophole to that rule. :)

taks

Glom
2006-Mar-08, 02:01 PM
For IE, you go to Tools > Internet Options > General and click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files

I've been trying that but somehow, it always manages to find the old version.

uh, 777, i can think of NO reason for Python to be on your drive without your permission. it is a language that is used heavily in the gaming industry, and even embedded developers like it for simple script execution (gaming is largely scripted commands to execute blocks of other code, typically written in C or C++). scripting is a good way to run trojans in the background in order to open back doors for intruders.

IMO, run the heaviest, dutiest virus scanner you can find and be certain to run an updated spyware program. you may even want to change the name of the directory temporarily and see if it impacts any known good programs (if it does, change it back).

taks

You reckon?

Lance
2006-Mar-08, 02:52 PM
Did you do this yet?

Absolutely!

The first thing any developer that uses IE should do is:

Tools -> Options -> Settings:

Check for newer versions of stored pages:
Every visit to the page

Roving Philosopher
2006-Mar-08, 03:25 PM
OK, try this:

Make a copy of one of the pages that isn't working, and rename it to anything you'd like. Then upload that page to GeoCities, and point your browser at it. Since IE has never seen that page before, it should load properly. If it does, the problem is likely with your browser. If it doesn't, then it is the CSS.

By the way, what version of IE are you using? Is it the same as the ones at uni?

Also, when you first added stylesheets to your website, did it display what you expected? Or has it never worked properly with the stylesheets?

Lance
2006-Mar-08, 04:10 PM
Is this problem occuring on the website in your profile?

If so, you are not including the stylesheet in the page. There are a couple inserted by geocities but that's all. You do have some style information in the page itself though. Is that what you're working on?

The proper CSS for your visited link is:

a:visited
{
color: #008080;
font-family:sans-serif;
}

"vlink" means nothing in CSS.

You can format <a> tags thusly: (Substituting your own values)

a, a:link, a:visited
{
COLOR: #ff0;
TEXT-DECORATION: underline;
}
a:hover, a:active
{
COLOR: #f00
}

Glom
2006-Mar-08, 04:21 PM
Did you do this yet?

As soon as you first suggested it.

Make a copy of one of the pages that isn't working, and rename it to anything you'd like. Then upload that page to GeoCities, and point your browser at it. Since IE has never seen that page before, it should load properly. If it does, the problem is likely with your browser. If it doesn't, then it is the CSS.

That didn't work, but I suspect because it is still loading from the same CSS. I have a copy of the site on my computer and everything loads fine there.

When I view the css on GeoCities, it shows the old version. When I edit it, it shows the new one.

More freakish still, I've now completely deleted the css and yet my browser is still displaying most features properly.

Glom
2006-Mar-08, 04:49 PM
Is this problem occuring on the website in your profile?

If so, you are not including the stylesheet in the page. There are a couple inserted by geocities but that's all. You do have some style information in the page itself though. Is that what you're working on?

The proper CSS for your visited link is:

a:visited
{
color: #008080;
font-family:sans-serif;
}

"vlink" means nothing in CSS.

You can format <a> tags thusly: (Substituting your own values)

a, a:link, a:visited
{
COLOR: #ff0;
TEXT-DECORATION: underline;
}
a:hover, a:active
{
COLOR: #f00
}

Thanks for the correction on the code. I'm still new to the whole thing. I've updated my css (not that I can tell). The index page that you're probably looking at doesn't use the css because it has it's own styling.... It does now.

While we're on the subject, how would you put the coding in a css for the background colour of a table?

Taks
2006-Mar-08, 05:02 PM
You reckon?i'm assuming a facetious remark? :)

no issues, either?

taks

Glom
2006-Mar-08, 05:23 PM
Okay, now here's the test. On the index page, here's what should be happening:
the chapter titles in OCR A Extended
links change colour when you move the cursor over them

I'm not seeing either or those things in the online page.

Glom
2006-Mar-08, 05:24 PM
i'm assuming a facetious remark? :)

no issues, either?

taks

Well I moved it into another folder, but I haven't tried many games yet.

SeanF
2006-Mar-08, 05:47 PM

Both seem to be working for me.

Lance
2006-Mar-08, 05:51 PM
While we're on the subject, how would you put the coding in a css for the background colour of a table?
Sure:

Some Identifier
{
BACKGROUND-COLOR: #00f;
}

Taks
2006-Mar-08, 06:33 PM
wish i could help regarding the style sheet issue, but that's not something i ever play with.

it seems you're in good hands with the rest in here, however, so no loss. :)

i'll send out a question to a friend that has a pretty solid understanding of all things windows. he might know why python would be on your system. you could always search your registry to see what keys are attached to it, btw.

taks

Roving Philosopher
2006-Mar-08, 06:51 PM

It's all working for me on my PC. My Mac doesn't get the OCR A Extended, but that's no big deal.

What version of IE are you using?

Lance
2006-Mar-08, 07:22 PM

It's working for me...

Here is a resource for you:

W3C CSS Validation Service (http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/)

Glom
2006-Mar-08, 07:35 PM
Well it's good to know things are working properly for most people. I'm using IE v6.0.

I found this wonderful site about css and having been working through it making some modifications. From my off-line version at least, it looks great (well less Micky Mouse than before).

ToSeek
2006-Mar-08, 07:54 PM
What's the site?

Glom
2006-Mar-08, 08:49 PM
What's the site?

W3 schools (http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp)

I'm reading up on JavaScript and php now as well.

BTW, I'm now at university, using Mozilla. The site is working fine. Must be my browser that sucks (it is after all IE).

Roving Philosopher
2006-Mar-08, 09:36 PM
After a bit of searching, I did find some info on the web suggesting that IE has some issues with CSS (particularly with refreshing), though the problem identified was on a Mac (no info on how to correct it, though). Don't know if the problem is the same one, but it looks like you've exhausted all the possible solutions offered here. Best thing to do is install Firefox (or some other browser of your choice). Even if you prefer IE generally, it's handy to have for testing when you are doing web design.

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-Mar-08, 11:18 PM
After a bit of searching, I did find some info on the web suggesting that IE has some issues with CSS (particularly with refreshing), though the problem identified was on a Mac (no info on how to correct it, though). Don't know if the problem is the same one, but it looks like you've exhausted all the possible solutions offered here. Best thing to do is install Firefox (or some other browser of your choice). Even if you prefer IE generally, it's handy to have for testing when you are doing web design.
IE has some severe problems with CSS, regardless of the platform. You should see what little there is of my website (http://cl1mh4224rd.home.comcast.net/) in IE. *shudders*

A:link
{
color:#004080;
font-family:none sans-serif;
}
The font-family attribute is a comma-separated list of values, and I don't think too many people will have a font called "none". ;)

That doesn't solve your problem, though, which is in all likelyhood an issue with IE itself rather than your CSS. I just don't know what...

Glom
2006-Mar-09, 12:44 PM
Well what d'you know. The thing has updated. The problem is that I now have an even newer version of the css to upload. :wall:

Now let's talk about the <acronym> tag. There are lots of acronyms and abbreviations in my website. How do I get it to display acronyms without having to go and tag them all one by one. I know it can be done because on the forum at airliners.net, they have a system for IATA airline and airport shorthand. You make a post where you refer to DL flying out of ATL and when posted, putting your cursor over these terms will automatically yield Delta and Atlanta as a tip.

And what's the difference between the <acronym> and the <abbr> tag?

Roving Philosopher
2006-Mar-09, 04:22 PM
From what I can tell, there's not much difference between the two, though <acronym> may be better supported in IE than <abbr>.

Offhand, I don't know of an easy way to insert the tags. I expect that the IATA website is database-driven, and part of the page creation process references a table listing airline names and abbreviations. With static webpages, your options are far more limited. There might be a way to do it using javascript, but I'd have to look into that.