PDA

View Full Version : Mission to HD 284242

Denis12
2006-Mar-07, 03:08 AM
Is a (manned) mission to the A3 type star HD 284242 a possibility in the future? (maybe) it has planets ,and it will be a good set to discover this type of star,and hopefully there are earth or moonlike planets there ,and we can land there and maybe we plant a flag or drive around in (buggys) like we did on our moon and then go back to earth ,or we can stay there for a long time and the astronauts stay there for the rest of their lives ,and will set up a base to explore and live there. And (eventually) there are lifeharboring planets with prehistoric or intelligent life that is far ahead of us ,and we can take a look there and make contact with it. I know it is hypothetical but (hopefully) reality in the future. Let me know what you are thinking about this idea ,lets talk about it,because it has my special interest. Denis12.

Launch window
2006-Mar-07, 03:39 AM
I don't know the exoplanets, and I can only name a handful like Epsilon Eridani, 47-Uma, 51 Pegasi, Upsilon Andromedae

I assume this is a near-by extra solar planet, and you first intend to explore it with robotic craft

A mission to nearby star would be very difficult, the Voyager spacecraft has traveled very far but it will be another 61,500 years or so before it comes close to another star. We depend on rocket fuel & gravity-assist for space-travel but so far we have developed some forms of alternative travel methods such as solar sails, fission power, ion-drive...but even so we would be using a sub-light speed craft means the journey would take many decades
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=433905
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=14351
This mission would be one of the longest running and old missions like Ulysses & Pioneers face the danger of change of government policy or funding cuts
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=36934

These are just sone of the reasons it would be very difficult to get such a mission off the ground

antoniseb
2006-Mar-07, 02:23 PM
Is a (manned) mission to the A3 type star HD 284242 a possibility in the future?

Launch Window has given a good answer. Just to simplify the answer:
Such a mission will not be possible in the near future. We would need to develop a lot of technologies that we don't even know are possible in order to make such a mission work.

Nowhere Man
2006-Mar-07, 03:25 PM
And by extension, what antoniseb just said would apply to any interstellar probe, manned or unmanned. The distances, even to the nearest stars, are just too big.

According to Douglas Adams, "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." And, "The simple truth is that interstellar distances will not fit into the human imagination."

Fred

ToSeek
2006-Mar-07, 04:35 PM
Denis, your repeated questions make it seem as if you have no understanding of just how breathtakingly, staggeringly distant the stars are. For example, look at these two dots, which I've tried to place about a centimeter apart:

. .

Imagine that one of those dots is Earth, and the other is the Voyager 1 probe, which is currently the man-made object that has traveled the greatest distance from Earth. It has taken 27 years to cover the distance represented by the space between those two dots. There is no other probe flying, under construction, or planned that is going to surpass that distance in my lifetime. The nearest star, on the same scale, is about 70 meters away, and that's our next-door neighbor.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Mar-07, 05:17 PM
That's a great analogy, if that's the right word for it, ToSeek.

Dave Mitsky