PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest - Astronomy Lovers !

vkp
2006-Mar-11, 04:20 AM
Hello !

I am from India - My name is Varun.I a student of XII grade and have done the amateur astronomy course from S.P.A.C.E (Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators)

I am into astrophotography but always do it with my friends.I have a 2 inch telescope and a good pair of binoculars (114m/1000m).

I want to take the pleasures of astrophotography by capturing those orion hayden,messier objects,galaxies and supernovas.For this I need to buy a good telescopic camera and till now consider me a total novice in this field of selecting good telescopic cameras(be it CCD,infinityscopes, etc. etc.)

I thought baut would be a gud place which can help me out in this endeavour.Please suggest about the same so that I can make purchase at the earliest.:dance:

Thanks alot !;)

paul f. campbell
2006-Mar-11, 02:14 PM
Hi Varun. I have a Meade etx 125 and a sac 7 ccd camera. My next scope will be a Meade lx200 10 inch and a new canon dslr . If you want to take great deep space photos you will want to get a scope 8 inch's or bigger. I know auto scopes are not cheep but if you have the money thats the way to go {I think}.

Iceman has a large dobs on a tracking platform. It looks good and it takes great planet photos. I think his planet photos are the best I have seen on this forum. That would be a good way to go to.

There are also small apature scopes out there that take great deep space photos but they cost lots of money. good hunting Paul

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-11, 02:14 PM
Look in Astronomical Observing...etc. Forum// Scroll down through pages for your particular interest. Good hunting!

Dave Mitsky
2006-Mar-11, 05:55 PM
Astrophotography and imaging other than quick "snapshots" of the Moon, the Sun, and the bright planets is usually quite involved and can be extremely expensive.

Imaging nebulae and galaxies is going to cost big time and will require a fairly large aperture and a costly digital SLR camera or a dedicated CCD camera.

I suggest you read http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/lab/6529/primer.html and get a copy of Michael Covington's _Astrophotography for the Amateur_ before going any further.

Dave Mitsky

randb
2006-Mar-11, 08:55 PM
You should also consider import duties you would have to pay, to import such expensive devices. I remember reading that there's a 100% duty on electronics imported to India. A DSLR would be the best option for you. (Canon 20D = $1000)

Wolverine
2006-Mar-11, 11:02 PM
Note: duplicate threads merged.

Coyote203
2006-Mar-25, 01:34 AM
Dave,

I followed your link for the astrophotography. I am also interested. I currently have a Celestron C6-N telescope. The only camera I currently have available is an HP Photosmart 635 digital camera. Your link suggested a barn door tracker. Can this be used on a telescope? I was actually thinking of getting the motor to go with my C-4 mount or possible purchasing a C-5 mount with GOTO. I believe the GOTO would automatically track as well. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I get the motor for the C-4 at $125 or wait several months to get the $700 C-5 GOTO. I am really enjoying the scope as it is but want to do more with it. Also, will my current camera work? Any suggestions would be welcome.

andyschlei
2006-Mar-25, 01:56 AM
You might want to also check out Ron Wodaski's book The New CCD Astronomy. It is a great reference and contains information to help evaluate what you want to do.

I agree with Dave Mitsky -- going beyond planetary imaging to deep space objects (nebulae, galaxies, etc.) can be very expensive. I know from experience.

HTH,

--Andy
http://www.obsballona.org/

Dave Mitsky
2006-Mar-25, 03:01 PM
Dave,

I followed your link for the astrophotography. I am also interested. I currently have a Celestron C6-N telescope. The only camera I currently have available is an HP Photosmart 635 digital camera. Your link suggested a barn door tracker. Can this be used on a telescope? I was actually thinking of getting the motor to go with my C-4 mount or possible purchasing a C-5 mount with GOTO. I believe the GOTO would automatically track as well. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I get the motor for the C-4 at $125 or wait several months to get the $700 C-5 GOTO. I am really enjoying the scope as it is but want to do more with it. Also, will my current camera work? Any suggestions would be welcome.

If your intention is to take wide-field shots with the camera lens, you can simply piggyback the camera on the driven telescope.

I'd probably wait for the GoTo mount. You'll need right ascension and declination drives as well as a drive corrector of some sort and a guide scope with reticle eyepiece or a flip mirror. An accurate GoTo setup is a blessing for astrophotography/imaging.

To the best of my knowledge, when it comes to digital cameras only DSLRs allow long exposures to be taken at prime focus.

You may want to pick up a copy of Michael Covington's book on amateur astrophotography.

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astro/astrowhat.html

Dave Mitsky

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-25, 04:24 PM
Don't buy anything until you have research enough to find at least one alternative to your favorite choice. Compare as objectively as possible. Even visit Ebay to see what people don't want anymore, they have learned from experience that the "song remains the same" -"You can't always get what you want" (Alright! Two Rock Classics in one sentence!)