PDA

View Full Version : The Bermuda triangle, is there any outer world impact.

suntrack2
2006-Mar-11, 04:20 PM
I have read couple of information on Bermuda, but yet not found any clear cut answer over it. do you have idea that the things were really happened there, that region in the sea has any super magnetic properties,or how the planes, ships or so got trouble there, is it true.

are there any good links to read on the above information.? or any other outer world impact on this region is possible? :)

sunil

afterburner
2006-Mar-11, 05:59 PM
i heared that the whole thing is caused by methane deposits suddenly releasing large amounts of methatne...and saw a show on it on discovery channel :)

found this link in wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle#Methane_hydrates

turbo-1
2006-Mar-11, 06:07 PM
http://www.unmuseum.org/triangle.htm

There really is no mystery, just accidents in heavily-trafficed area that gets some pretty severe weather at times.

Dragon Star
2006-Mar-11, 06:22 PM
i heared that the whole thing is caused by methane deposits suddenly releasing large amounts of methatne...and saw a show on it on discovery channel :)

found this link in wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle#Methane_hydrates

Yea, it is one possible reason, but it could be a few other elements involved as well.:D

PhantomWolf
2006-Mar-12, 03:12 AM
The triangle is one of the most heavily transited areas on the planet, so has a number of accidents. However this isn't really unusual either, draw a similar sized triangle about any part of the heavily used areas and you will find a similar number of tales of disapearance and trouble.

cumulusgranite
2006-Mar-12, 03:31 AM
One quick note to this, a lot of things that supposedly happened, did not. A lot of strange events were created by book authors to sell books, also the true nature of some events were stretched a bit for the same reason.

Dragon Star
2006-Mar-12, 06:01 AM
Good point, but I am talking about the stuff that is actually in the records, some of which are quite famous for disapearing...It's a neat area indeed.

suntrack2
2006-Mar-12, 08:22 AM
so methane deposits can create disturbances, so on mars the methane is ample and there what kind of disturbances may occur on "mars".
may be this is possible, as you are saying above.

i have also heard that there were some hundreds of novels came in the market for sell the "bermuda stories".

sunil

PhantomWolf
2006-Mar-12, 09:30 AM
The methane idea is that the bubbling methane in the water changes its density meaning that ships need to displace more water, can't do it and so sink. The idea has been tested and indeed does cause boats to sink, however wherever it is a real problem or not is debaable. Most of the classic cases are simply due to bad weather, shoddy craft, human error or a combination of some or all of them. It has merely been blown out of propotion by the authors, often having made up cases or dragging cases from elsewhere about the globe and claiming they occured in the triange. It's a myth and nothing more.

astromark
2006-Mar-12, 10:05 AM
Yes phantom wolf has it. . . More people have been lost on lake Superior than in the Bermuda triangle. The famous Mary Celest was found abandoned in the Pacific Ocean, crew had launched a life boat in extreme weather and were never found. That story is often brought to the Bermuda area. Wrong.
The Earths oceans can be very hostile. That does not make them weird.

suntrack2
2006-Mar-12, 04:58 PM
as far as gravity is concern in that area, is it more than the normal !
are there any tsunami like tides come through the ocean at that particular point ! or that corner in the ocean confuse the navigation system as well !

sunil

Kristophe
2006-Mar-12, 06:48 PM
as far as gravity is concern in that area, is it more than the normal !
are there any tsunami like tides come through the ocean at that particular point ! or that corner in the ocean confuse the navigation system as well !

sunil

No. As several others have already pointed out, the only physical thing that separates the Bermuda Triangle from the rest of the Earth's oceans is the fact that it lies between Bermuda, Flordia, and Puerto Rico. The number of accidents per vessel in the area is pretty much the same as it is everywhere on the ocean. There are just a lot of vessels in that area due to the large number of tropical islands, and the very rich nation that likes to take advantage of having a large number of tropical islands just off its coast.

GeorgieB
2006-Mar-12, 07:19 PM
I seem to remember a show on one of the better channels (Discovery, Nat Geo..or one of those) some time ago where C. Berlitz was interviewed and was asked a question like "Why do you write books like this?"...

His straight answer was "To make money".

Says it all.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-13, 01:45 AM
Berlitz's conclusion in his book was actually that there wasn't anything to it.
Surprised me a bit.

TriangleMan
2006-Mar-13, 12:08 PM
The number of accidents per vessel in the area is pretty much the same as it is everywhere on the ocean. There are just a lot of vessels in that area due to the large number of tropical islands, and the very rich nation that likes to take advantage of having a large number of tropical islands just off its coast.
I think the main reason there is so much boat traffic is that ships from the Gulf of Mexico going to Europe (and vice-versa) go through the Triangle. Shipping from the Northeast US to the Carribean would also go through it.

As others have pointed out the area does not have an unusual number of dissappearances so there is no mystery to explain. Also, last year there was confirmation of a phenomena called freak waves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_wave) after one hit the cruise ship Norwegian Dawn in 2005. Freak waves could explain some ship sinkings in the world's oceans (not just the Triangle).

R.A.F.
2006-Mar-13, 01:11 PM
As I have posted in other "triangle" threads, the book The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879759712/002-9498401-4340809?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance) puts an end to the Bermuda Triangle mystery.

Elyk
2006-Mar-13, 03:10 PM
Must be aliens. Yeah, that makes sense.

Irishman
2006-Mar-15, 01:06 AM
Yes phantom wolf has it. . . More people have been lost on lake Superior than in the Bermuda triangle. The famous Mary Celest was found abandoned in the Pacific Ocean, crew had launched a life boat in extreme weather and were never found. That story is often brought to the Bermuda area. Wrong.

WOW, I didn't know the Bermuda Triangle was powerful enough to pull ships from the Pacific! ;-)

Blob
2006-Mar-15, 01:52 AM
Hum,
Does that mean the Bermuda triangle is a parallelogram?

Wolverine
2006-Mar-15, 06:55 AM
Moved from Q&A to BABBling.

mickal555
2006-Mar-15, 08:36 AM
There is a skeptical cruse going through the bemuda triangle soon I think...

Like a mini TAM, randi is going...

captain swoop
2006-Mar-15, 11:45 AM
You don't hear of the English Channel triangle or the North Sea triangle or the ...

agingjb
2006-Mar-15, 12:23 PM
There seems to be a difference of opinion on where the Mary Celeste was discovered. Wikipedia gives "off Portugal". But in any case, not the Bermuda Triangle (which is where, exactly?)

BenderBendingRodriguez
2006-Mar-15, 12:42 PM
Another thing that shows that the triangle isn't really abnormal is that rates for insurance aren't higher for ships going through it.

And if you know insurance-companies: that's about all the evidence you need :D

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-15, 01:16 PM
Just like highways - the more traffic and the more obstacles - the more accidents.

Every big city has a super-junction of highways (or several of them) called things like Spaghetti Junction, and they are of course all haunted.

My guess too is that plane crashes are most common near airports. It's probably because most airports are surrounded by alien communities. I think they run the hotel industry.

TriangleMan
2006-Mar-15, 01:29 PM
But in any case, not the Bermuda Triangle (which is where, exactly?)
The exact location of the Triangle can differ between believers but generally the three points of the Triangle are Miami, San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Bermuda.

That skeptics cruise Mickal555 mentions leaves from Ft. Lauderdale then goes to the Gulf of Mexico so it starts in the Triangle then leaves it. I think the cruise is in the Triangle for all of about two hours.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-15, 01:46 PM
The exact location of the Triangle can differ between believers but generally the three points of the Triangle are Miami, San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Bermuda.

That skeptics cruise Mickal555 mentions leaves from Ft. Lauderdale then goes to the Gulf of Mexico so it starts in the Triangle then leaves it. I think the cruise is in the Triangle for all of about two hours.

So they're cautious skeptics.