PDA

View Full Version : Are there any instance of seismic activity on moon?

suntrack2
2006-Mar-14, 05:09 PM
This question was in row in my mind hence asking here, the earthquakes are very common here, but can it be happen on moon, or moon is the same suferer like earth ?

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-14, 05:30 PM
We placed seismometers on the moon, and they detected moonquakes, but the moon was a lot quieter ("dead") than the earth. I don't think the seismometers there are active anymore.

suntrack2
2006-Mar-15, 04:59 PM
really awesome information by you. hh'. I had a doubt, now that doubt has clear. may be the moon's crust have no any such plates like earth ?

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-15, 06:12 PM
may be the moon's crust have no any such plates like earth ?As near as we know, there hasn't been any plate activity on the moon. No evidence has been found that I know of.

Of course, the moon is a quarter of the radius of the moon--but that means its volume is 1/64 of the earth, and it is less dense so it has even less mass. The entire width (diameter) of the moon is about the same as the earth's mantle, where earth's convection takes place. There may not have been room, and anyway the moon could have been able to cool a lot quicker--its surface area to mass ratio is over four times greater than earth's.

2006-Mar-15, 09:57 PM
This question was in row in my mind hence asking here, the earthquakes are very common here, but can it be happen on moon, or moon is the same suferer like earth ?
So, are you actually a shill for NASA? That sounds like a question they wanted to have asked.

Science@NASA: Moonquakes (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/15mar_moonquakes.htm)

March 15, 2006: NASA astronauts are going back to the moon and when they get there they may need quake-proof housing.

That's the surprising conclusion of Clive R. Neal, associate professor of civil engineering and geological sciences at the University of Notre Dame after he and a team of 15 other planetary scientists reexamined Apollo data from the 1970s. "The moon is seismically active," he told a gathering of scientists at NASA's Lunar Exploration Analysis Group (LEAG) meeting in League City, Texas, last October.
[...]
There are at least four different kinds of moonquakes: (1) deep moonquakes about 700 km below the surface, probably caused by tides; (2) vibrations from the impact of meteorites; (3) thermal quakes caused by the expansion of the frigid crust when first illuminated by the morning sun after two weeks of deep-freeze lunar night; and (4) shallow moonquakes only 20 or 30 kilometers below the surface.
[...]
Neal and his colleagues are developing a proposal to deploy a network of 10 to 12 seismometers around the entire moon, to gather data for at least three to five years. This kind of work is necessary, Neal believes, to find the safest spots for permanent lunar bases.

And that's just the beginning, he says. Other planets may be shaking, too: "The moon is a technology test bed for establishing such networks on Mars and beyond."

astromark
2006-Mar-16, 10:08 AM
Be proud Suntrack2 your question has more relevance than you thought. I see NASA has gone public with this latest story of seismic activity across the Moon. 5.5 on the Richter scale is teeth rattling stuff when you are 390,000 km from home and inside a pressurized environment on a hostile environment. I know what i am talking about here, I live in New Zealand. Now we need to know if Mars is also shaking its dust about. Has Olympic Mons tremors,?

suntrack2
2006-Mar-16, 01:27 PM
thank you astromark. 5.5 on the richter scale is a sufficient one to experience it on a greater side. well if the moon and earth comes in the conjunction and moon got a seismic stroke, what would be the impact on earth, do you think that tsunami like experience may also be witness in such case, but the people of earth are much confident that no planetary effect come from moon(or it is very few).

sunil

astromark
2006-Mar-16, 06:43 PM
I am not confident that I understand your question; If its,' does seismic activity on the moon register here? then its no. If the Moon was blown apart the first indication here would be the spectacular sight and then . . .
All i am saying here is that even a shattered moon would still have the same mass, It would be spreading out but, still have the same gravity as it does now. for a few days. . . .and then. . . .?

suntrack2
2006-Mar-17, 03:17 PM
I got it, astromark, there are different posibilities as far as moon is concern and different possibilities also can not be ruled out, I think there is a very least study on this sort of topic, I have tried to find out but could not succeed to get more material.

sunil

Tensor
2006-Mar-20, 08:28 PM
RM, I know what you meant here, but I still got a chuckle.

Of course, the moon is a quarter of the radius of the moon

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-20, 08:33 PM
RM, I know what you meant here, but I still got a chuckle.O sure laugh at a guy while he's down

down what I'm not telling

suntrack2
2006-Mar-21, 02:35 PM
only geo stationary satelite can do the best study of all such activities, and like MRO (mars reconnisance orbitor) there is a need to install a powerful aperatus to study all such possibilities, regarding earthquakes, minerals, other important data, is very much avaitaing in the next 10 years, since the moon is quite nearer than any other object in the sky ( as far as visible shape is concern) though moon is almost dead in the language of world scientist, as they are mostly saying that moon is not that useful for earth since there is no oxygen, but we can make a good use of it for earth in the future's different needs like, gas, some inner chemicals. yet the erruption of magma from the moon's core not witnessed.

sunil :)

vk3ukf
2006-Mar-24, 03:21 PM
Hi, anyone have periodicity data for the moonquakes ? A timeline of events and their richter scale measurements. ?

Kev.

Dan Luna
2006-Mar-28, 04:58 PM
I had a search on NASA Astrophysics Data System (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/ads_abstracts.html) and found these papers:

A Seismic Risk for the Lunar Base (http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1992lbsa.conf..231O&data_type=PDF_H IGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf) (1992)

and

Apollo Lunar Seismic Experiment - Final Summary (http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1982LPI....13..576N&data_type=PDF_H IGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf) (1982)

Apparently 28 shallow moonquakes, which are the strong type to worry about, were detected in 8 years.

Irishman
2006-Mar-28, 06:35 PM
APOD had a relavant post:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060327.html

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-28, 08:44 PM
APOD had a relavant post:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060327.htmlWhat I remember, was the moonquakes had some correlation with the tides caused by the earth. The tides would change position on the moon only because of libration, and tides on earth are not correlated with earthquakes, but the tide raising power of the earth on the moon surface is about twenty times greater than that of the moon on the earth.

Dan Luna
2006-Mar-29, 02:47 PM
There are about 3000 deep moonquakes per year, which are much weaker than the strong, shallow ones discussed above. These do seem to follow monthly patterns as you say.

I'm having trouble finding online details, as many of the papers are on scientific databases for which you have to pay, but

Chaotic Occurrence of some Deep Moonquakes (http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/1077.pdf) (J. Koyama, 2005)

talks about monthly peridocities for some of the sources.