banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Mar-14, 07:24 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/14/sirhan.sirhan.ap/index.html

didn't know the guy was still around

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Mar-14, 07:25 PM
ps. he should not get parole....

2006-Mar-14, 07:43 PM
Yes, his 13th parole hearing. Same old thing.

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation: Lifer parole process (http://www.corr.ca.gov/Offenders/parole_process.html):

It is not uncommon for inmates to receive many parole hearings before they are found suitable for release. By law, murderers can be denied parole for up to five years at a time, although denials for shorter time periods are also granted.

The 12th was in 2003.

CBS News: Sirhan Sirhan Kept Behind Bars (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/07/national/main543105.shtml)

"If he were to be released into the community, his risk appears to be significant," said parole board chairwoman Carol Daly. "Until progress is made, the prisoner continues to be unpredictable and a threat to others."

Gillianren
2006-Mar-15, 01:14 AM
Yeah, "eligible for" and "going to get" are two different things. I mean, heck, Charles Manson's been eligible for parole for a very long time, but you don't see him walking around free, now, do you?

(No, I don't think Sirhan Sirhan should get parole, either, but he should before Manson does. Also, Sirhan Sirhan went to the same junior high school as I, though many years before.)

Celestial Mechanic
2006-Mar-15, 05:07 AM
Almost every time this comes up there is some interview with Sirhan Sirhan in which he goes on about how he has been punished and rehabilitated, etc. I suppose there are people who would be willing to forgive him, but I'm not one of them. He interfered in our electoral process in such a fashion as to nullify the votes of millions of people. Let him rot. :evil:

DroneFour
2006-Mar-15, 10:02 AM
He will never get out. Ever.

mahesh
2006-Mar-15, 01:51 PM
...no Way

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-15, 01:52 PM
He fits my definition of a predator (the human on human variety) and should therefore have been exterminated.

Gillianren
2006-Mar-15, 07:38 PM
He fits my definition of a predator (the human on human variety) and should therefore have been exterminated.

I don't know if his initial sentence was death, but a lot of sentences got commuted to life imprisonment when the death penalty was declared cruel and unusual punishment as instituted at the time back in the 70s. That's why the Manson murderers are all still alive, too, as well as those cop killers from The Onion Field.

Doodler
2006-Mar-15, 07:54 PM
I don't know if his initial sentence was death, but a lot of sentences got commuted to life imprisonment when the death penalty was declared cruel and unusual punishment as instituted at the time back in the 70s. That's why the Manson murderers are all still alive, too, as well as those cop killers from The Onion Field.

It was a Death Penalty commuted to life.

Enzp
2006-Mar-16, 04:13 AM
And remember that his victim was the uncle of the present California governor's wife. I don't see him getting out soon.

2006-Mar-16, 06:18 PM
Reuters: Parole denied (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=newsOne&storyID=2006-03-16T012339Z_01_N15414451_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-KENNEDY-SIRHAN.xml)

"The panel found that he continues to pose an unacceptable risk to public safety and felt that he was not suitable for parole," Tip Kindel, a spokesman for the Board of Prison Terms, said of Sirhan.

"The panel indicated that he had carried out the crime in a cold, calculated and callused manner, had a total disregard not only for the senator but those that were with him."

"His next hearing will be sometime in 2011."

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-16, 11:22 PM
Don't get me started on the death penalty as I've just read about the Bartlett Pervert caught by Gonzalez's Untouchables here in Illinois. Sometimes I wonder if there should be a crueller punishment than even life or death for those who so ruin children's lives.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-17, 03:17 PM
Don't get me started on the death penalty as I've just read about the Bartlett Pervert caught by Gonzalez's Untouchables here in Illinois. Sometimes I wonder if there should be a crueller punishment than even life or death for those who so ruin children's lives.

Too late, I'm already started. I am for the death penalty for certain predatorial crimes. I know, the devil is in the details for determining the exact criteria - but that is not a reason not to have the death penalty, especially given the level of forensic science these days.

Most people who object seem to claim so on moral grounds. I don't think it has anything to do with morals; it's just situational ethics at best. Basically, certain kinds of death make them queasy; and putting someone down like a rabid dog is one of them.

A moral sanctity-of-life objection to the death penalty doesn't wash unless a person is also against assisted suicide, abortion, euthanasia, ALL wars, and every other form of intentional killing that exists. If a person claims that life is sacred, then starts making exceptions, then they do not really have an all-life-is-sacred principle.

They just find certain kinds of killing more icky than others. So do I, but I would not claim it is based on moral grounds - it's personal feeling rooted in cultural bias.

People who prey on children should, quite simply, be exterminated. They are incurable, a danger to society, and not worth the expense of keeping locked up until they die of old age.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-17, 09:27 PM
No comment as my idea is even less defensible.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-18, 12:21 PM
I always found the notion of killing people to demonstrate
that it is wrong to kill people pretty silly.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-18, 01:06 PM
Punishments are not much of a deterrent. Separation from society is still best choice. Allowing a life to be removed from nourishment already is viewed by many as humane for innocents who are judged as incapable of a good future, why not the same for heinous serial criminals?

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-18, 02:57 PM
My position is not one based on deterence. It has to do with protecting civilized members of society from serial killers and the like in the most effective and efficient way possible. It's not about demonstration or punishment, it's about removal.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-18, 03:02 PM
Slippery slope.
Once the government has the legal means to kill citizens,
where does it end?

Historically, where ever the death penalty existed,
it has been abused for political reasons.
Better just not to go there.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-18, 03:40 PM
I have more trust in the government to decide who dies than serial killers. I also don't think that because it has problems it should be abandoned. Make the process better. Forensic science has come a long way - and so has our system of justice.

Like I mentioned, I think we could now formulate a system that could address most, if not all past abuses and errors. The only objections then would be the moral ones, which don't really add up. I mean we have codified rules from the church (Thou shalt not kill) and from the state (Life, liberty, ...) but humans cherry pick around those codes - so the moral high ground some adhere to simply does not exist (in my eyes).

It is all about how it makes people feel. Some feel it is OK to kill people in Iraq, but feel it is wrong to kill a serial killer in the electric chair. Or that it is OK to abort a fetus that has a brain wave for reasons of convenience, but wrong to kill a mass murderer with an injection. The contradictions reveal most objections to the death penalty as reflecting emotions and feelings and the practice of situational ethics more than some guiding moral principle such as all life is sacred.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-18, 05:32 PM
Slippery slope.
Once the government has the legal means to kill citizens,
where does it end?

Historically, where ever the death penalty existed,
it has been abused for political reasons.
Better just not to go there.

When did they not have the legal means? Where in history was here no death penalty? A Ha! I've outed an ETE! (just kidding, I understand where you are coming from. No problem.)