PDA

View Full Version : New scope advice

Joedog
2006-Mar-14, 09:08 PM
I have a chance to buy a new scope with no money out of my pocket:)
My original plan when I was paying for it myself was an 8in homebuilt Dob.
but since I don`t have to pay for this scope I am thinking about getting
a........Celestron C10-NGT.....
It looks like it would fit my needs as I would like to get into astrophotography.
And it appears to be at least barely portable.. the scope weighs 83lbs with out the mount. You think its a good choice.
I have read most of the scope advice in this forum but would like some fresh advice...
Thanks

JohnW
2006-Mar-14, 11:14 PM
I have a chance to buy a new scope with no money out of my pocket:)
My original plan when I was paying for it myself was an 8in homebuilt Dob.
but since I don`t have to pay for this scope I am thinking about getting
a........Celestron C10-NGT.....
It looks like it would fit my needs as I would like to get into astrophotography.
And it appears to be at least barely portable.. the scope weighs 83lbs with out the mount. You think its a good choice.
I have read most of the scope advice in this forum but would like some fresh advice...
Thanks
I don't have any hands-on experience with this scope, but Celestron's SCTs have a good reputation. I would recommend thinking carefully about the portability issue though. Will you be moving this around on your own? If so, you're going to be doing some fairly delicate movements of an 83lb weight, at shoulder height, in the dark.

randb
2006-Mar-15, 01:24 AM
83 lbs without the mount??? Wow... I've got portability issues with my 20 lb OTA. But then...I'm a 140 lb weakling. I think 83 lbs will be a bit too much.

randb
2006-Mar-15, 01:26 AM
I just checked. The whole telescope weighs 83 lbs.

Joedog
2006-Mar-15, 01:37 AM
Part of my job is moving County Record boxes all day.
So moving the scope would not be to bad.

The Mangler
2006-Mar-15, 01:38 AM
That is pretty heavy. Personally, I wouldn't let that stop me from getting it though. I wouldn't have to carry it very far to get set-up (15-20 feet). I wouldn't be taking it on any road trips though.

How did (or how will you) you manage to get something like that for free? Birthday?

Joedog
2006-Mar-15, 02:02 AM
A member of my wife`s family passed away last year.
He used to bring a scope up with him we he visited and gave everyone a nice tour of the sky.
He left my in-laws a large sum of money.
So the are letting my wife`s family and my brother in-laws family buy
telescopes in his honor.
It just seemed to be the right way to remember him.
My wife and I are going to have a small brass plaque made with his name on it.

The Mangler
2006-Mar-15, 03:32 AM
Sorry to hear about a death in the family, but it sounds like he would have liked everyone getting a new scope.

redshifter
2006-Mar-15, 05:18 AM
Sorry about your loss, but that is a pretty nice way to leave a legacy. I hope you enjoy your scope! Nice gesture putting a plaque on your scope as well.