PDA

View Full Version : How long before MRO pictures?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Mar-15, 02:58 PM
Just curious- when will MRO start sending pictures back?

Saluki
2006-Mar-15, 03:02 PM
IIRC, it will not be until MRO is finished with its aerobreaking. Sometime in November.

antoniseb
2006-Mar-15, 03:04 PM
MRO will not start its primary mission until November. I have some hope that it will send back some pictures before then, perhaps of Demos and Phobos.

Saluki
2006-Mar-15, 03:06 PM
I am not certain, but I think it has to wait. It probably has to do with keeping the instruments protected until aerobraking is complete. I imagine that aerobraking puts quite a bit of stress on the craft.

Here is a link talking about the science mission. It confirms the November 2006 start:

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/mro/mission/tl_science.html

Romanus
2006-Mar-15, 05:55 PM
I think they will have a few test images, but by and large real imaging won't start until November.

ToSeek
2006-Mar-15, 08:44 PM
I don't have time to look it up right now, but they're planning on a few checkout images in the next couple of weeks. But after that they're not planning on doing anything until aerobraking is done and the solar conjunction is over. But then!!

Wolverine
2006-Mar-16, 01:15 AM
It will be well worth the wait.

skywatch
2006-Mar-16, 07:04 AM
november can't wait. where do we go to get the pics. now we'll see all the buildings on mars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is part were you laugh?