PDA

View Full Version : Superman

Evac
2006-Mar-16, 01:03 AM
Hi everybody,

Id like to propouse a "what if" thread.

One of the aspects I like more about this site are the movie reviews. I just love movies. And as you must know, a new Superman movie is comming soon (Superman Returns).
So I was checking old reviews abut the first movie Christopher Reeve (q.e.p.d.) did, and cant stop thinking about the last scene when he (Superman) turns back time to save Lois by counter-spinning earth.
Now, I know thats pure fantasy, but Im wondering, can it really be done? I mean, not turn back time, but invert the rotation of the planet with just atmospheric friction?. And in case we can "do it" in any way, what would happen? It would be any influence in the translation around the sun?

Well, Im not an astronomer, what can I say.

mid
2006-Mar-16, 09:52 AM
Complete, total and utter destruction of all life on Earth, is my guess.

The energy transfer required to impart that much momentum would destroy the atmosphere, and the tectonic activity sparked by the crust grinding to a halt and being pulled the other way would finish anything off that hadn't already been baked to a crisp.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-16, 01:04 PM
It'd be like trying to stop a speeding freight train with a marshmallow - and not the big guy on Ghostbusters. But he is Superman.

Evac
2006-Mar-16, 01:49 PM
Ok, I get the point. I mean...wow...off course. So Superman did more harm than good. Have you seen the new trailer? Finally we see a shock wake and a sonic boom whem he speeds up through the atmosphere.

Swift
2006-Mar-16, 03:01 PM
On a different track of problems Superman might create, I've always loved Larry Niven's short story Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex (http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html).
WARNING - Adult situations.

John M. Dollan
2006-Mar-16, 03:05 PM
Isn't there a theory floating about that the Venusian atmosphere is largely responsible for the planet's ridiculously slow rotation? And effect, though, brought on over billions of years, not overnight!

...John...