PDA

View Full Version : (Anti)-Bad Astronomy is Spreading

Swift
2006-Mar-16, 02:50 PM
The Cleveland Museum of Natural History is doing an adult education class in Bad Astronomy.
LINKY (http://www.cmnh.org/education/classes/adult.html#badastronomy#badastronomy)

Bad Astronomy
Thursday evenings, March 23 and 30, April 6, 20 and 27 and May 4, 7 to 9 pm
Instructor: Astronomy Programs Coordinator Jason Davis
Understanding astronomy would be much simpler were we not bombarded with inaccurate representations of everyday phenomena in the popular media. Movies featuring "sonic" explosions in space, full moons every single night for a week and planetary alignments that trigger earthquakes have meddled with our understanding of the natural world. Let's sort through it all together. We will review movies and television shows, examine articles from newspapers and magazines, and talk a quite a bit about the Moon landing "hoax" and even astrology.
:dance:

I hope THE BA is made for copyright infringement. ;)

John M. Dollan
2006-Mar-16, 03:03 PM
I don't really care about sound effects in space, or how things are portrayed in the movies (not that it isn't fun to nit-pick!). Heck, I'm one of three people here who liked Armageddon simply because it was a great romp.

What really pleases me is that they're addressing items such as the supposed moon hoax theory. *That*, in my opinion, is where the mass media has really stuck it to not just those who were involved in the Apollo Program, but to the average American. When a special comes out on Fox entitled "Was the Moon Landing A Hoax?", it pretty much sets up in the viewer's mind that it was, and Fox is out to expose it. Such faux news or informative programming has done more to damage the popular conception of astronomy and space science achievements than 100 Armageddon-like movies.

Let's face it. If someone thinks that Armageddon (or any pure entertainment movie) is an attempt to accurately show what science is, then they're in trouble on a whole lot of different levels. But if someone watches Jonathon Frakes narrate a Fox special on Roswell (and like Trek or not, Frakes has shown himself to be a fine enough actor to pull off the straight faced reporter schtick), they're gonna be confused. Especially when a fake autopsy is touted as the real thing by the mass media for weeks on end.

Sorry, I'm in a ranting mood this morning. At any rate, the program listed above is a great thing indeed! I hope it receives a lot of takers.

...John...

pumpkinpie
2006-Mar-16, 05:41 PM
That is so cool. I wish the Cleveland wasn't such a long commute for me, otherwise I'd sign up!

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-16, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I'm in a ranting mood this morning. At any rate, the program listed above is a great thing indeed! I hope it receives a lot of takers.

...John...

But it's a very good rant.

Gillianren
2006-Mar-16, 07:28 PM
That is so cool. I wish the Cleveland wasn't such a long commute for me, otherwise I'd sign up!

Longer commute for me . . . .

But, yes, I wish someone around here was doing something like that. I'd go even though I know more about Bad Astronomy than the average.

NEOWatcher
2006-Mar-16, 07:46 PM
Longer commute for me . . . .

But, yes, I wish someone around here was doing something like that. I'd go even though I know more about Bad Astronomy than the average.
Short one for me.

Unfortunately, the room will be filled with open-minded people (like you), especially at $59-$66 each. It's the one's that don't care that need to go.

Swift
2006-Mar-16, 08:36 PM
From the bottom of the listing:

Naturalist Certificate Hours: 12

I suspect this means that at least one targeted audience are educators, interpreters, and naturalists. Hopefully, they will spread the word to those who need to know.

Swift
2006-Mar-20, 07:04 PM
I had my first chance for a personal, anti-moon hoax encounter today. I was talking with this fellow who is a machinist and does some contract work for my company. He has a lot of interest in science, and likes to talk about it, but he reads a lot of marginal stuff. He was telling me about some book about all the repressed science (like the free power sources that the bad energy comanies are hiding so they can continue to make money). He mentioned that there was a chapter about the moon landing hoax and sounded half convinced.

The arguments he mentioned were the shadows (but that they were different lengths, not non-parallel), the deadly radiation, and panning the rover camera up to watch the ascent module take-off. I think I was able to answer all of these. He was skeptical himself that such a big hoax could have been kept hidden and I encouraged those thoughts. I referred him to both the badastronomy.com and clavius websites.

Melusine
2006-Mar-20, 09:00 PM
I had my first chance for a personal, anti-moon hoax encounter today....I think I was able to answer all of these. He was skeptical himself that such a big hoax could have been kept hidden and I encouraged those thoughts. I referred him to both the badastronomy.com and clavius websites.
The "BAUT-memeplex" is spreading...;)