PDA

View Full Version : Lisa and Albert

Jim
2006-Mar-16, 06:39 PM
As I'm sure all of you know, the 127th anniversary of Albert Einstein's birth was last Tuesday, March 14. The HMNS held a party and Albert attended. (Well, a really good impersonator did.)

The local CBS affiliate, KHOU, had footage of the event on its 6 o'clock newscast. One anchor mentioned that Albert looked pretty spry for a man of 127. The other anchor, Lisa Foronda (http://www.khou.com/insidekhou/newsteam/lforonda.html), quipped, "Well, maybe he's approaching the speed of light... time slows down... he ages less."

ToSeek
2006-Mar-16, 09:01 PM
That's pretty astute coming from a TV news anchor.

novaderrik
2006-Mar-16, 09:43 PM
they must have had some science geek typing into the teleprompter, and probably spent a couple of hours rehearsing it to make it look like an off-the-cuff remark.

Gillianren
2006-Mar-16, 11:52 PM
Oh, I think it's possible that she just knows more than you're giving her credit for. After all, that's one of the most basic ideas of relativity.

lisaleese
2008-May-22, 06:14 AM
So I read TV news but I can't understand the theories of special and general relativity? Any do do knows that we can't make the speed of light. As we get closer, everyone else who's watching from another point in space looks at us as if we are moving ever so slowly...

Hello? space and time are malleable? Is that so difficult for a "TV" person to handle?

Why the hell do you think I left? Being judged on one's looks is pathetic.

novaderrik
2008-May-22, 09:04 AM
So I read TV news but I can't understand the theories of special and general relativity? Any do do knows that we can't make the speed of light. As we get closer, everyone else who's watching from another point in space looks at us as if we are moving ever so slowly...

Hello? space and time are malleable? Is that so difficult for a "TV" person to handle?

umm.. ok..
welcome, and thanks for digging up a really old thread.. are you perhaps the news anchor mentioned in the OP?
i base my opinions of tv news people on what i learned from Will Farrel's portayal of Ron Burgundy..

hhEb09'1
2008-May-22, 09:47 AM
Why the hell do you think I left? Being judged on one's looks is pathetic.Well, ToSeek said you were astute, so that's good enough for me! Welcome to BAUT :)
umm.. ok..
welcome, and thanks for digging up a really old thread.. are you perhaps the news anchor mentioned in the OP?That would make sense, found her name in the OP. You maybe should apologize.

i base my opinions of tv news people on what i learned from Will Farrel's portayal of Ron Burgundy..Now I know you should apologize :)

ToSeek
2008-May-22, 04:48 PM

In a country where a fourth of the adult population doesn't know that the Earth goes around the Sun and more than half think the Earth is less than ten thousand years old, I hope you can understand that some of us are surprised and others skeptical when a general news anchor exhibits any accurate knowledge of science. Note that there are literally dozens of threads on this forum pointing out errors and misunderstandings in various news coverage of scientific events and findings, so we have grown to be pessimistic.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you were troubled by some of the comments on this thread, and I hope your new career is working out for you.