PDA

View Full Version : Happy St. Patrick's Day

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Mar-17, 11:07 PM
Beannachtam na Feile Padraig! (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)

All the best to our Irish forum members!

Sláinte! http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/upfiles/smiley/beerchug.gif

Melusine
2006-Mar-18, 01:02 AM
This is Merriam-Webster's salutation to the Irish today. Their Word of the Day (http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/MWOL-wordoftheday.html) is:

doch-an-dorris • \dahkh-un-DOR-is\ http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?doch_a01.wav=doch-an-dorris')) • noun
Scottish & Irish : a parting drink : stirrup cup

Example sentence:
Our kind host supplied us with a wee doch-an-dorris, and then we set off on our journey feeling happy and grateful.

Did you know?
In Scottish Gaelic, it's spelled "deoch an doruis"; in Irish, it's "deoch an dorrias." In either case, it means, literally, "drink of the door" and it refers to the time-honored practice of sharing a parting drink with one's host or guests. But lest you think this custom is practiced only by the descendants of the Gaels, know that "doch-an-dorris" (as it's spelled in English and used primarily by the Scots and the Irish) has an English synonym: "stirrup cup." Originally a small drink of wine or something else taken by a rider about to depart on horseback, "stirrup cup" later acquired the general meaning of "a farewell drink."
[/b]
Drinking and "driving," eh?

BTW, the History Channel had a program on Irish immigrants today. All tonight it's Celebrating the Green, The Irish Mob, Rumrunners, Moonshiners & Bootleggers. Do the Irish get tired of the drinking stereotype?

Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
James Joyce
Irish author (1882 - 1941)

Lianachan
2006-Mar-18, 01:32 AM
I can't get excited about St. Patrick's day, and am amused by the fuss that's been built up around it......

.....but, nevertheless....c&#224;ite bheil an taigh-&#242;sta?

Chuck
2006-Mar-18, 02:15 AM
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/offthemark/archive/images/offthemark2006048850317.gif

Eroica
2006-Mar-18, 02:54 PM
In Irish, it's "deoch an dorrias"
Actually, it's "deoch an dorais".

Do the Irish get tired of the drinking stereotype?
I would if it were untrue. Unfortunately we do have a major problem with alcohol consumption. You can hardly complain about a stereotype when so many of your compatriots are doing their best to validate it!

Eroica
2006-Mar-18, 02:56 PM
Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig! (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)

All the best to our Irish forum members!

Sláinte! http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/upfiles/smiley/beerchug.gif
Go raibh maith agat, a chara! (Thanks!)

suntrack2
2006-Mar-18, 04:22 PM
Many happy returns on the eve of the St.Patrik's Day. ( to you all)

sunil

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-18, 05:58 PM
I can't get excited about St. Patrick's day, and am amused by the fuss that's been built up around it......

.....but, nevertheless....càite bheil an taigh-òsta?

Yep. I wish there was some sort of Scottish holiday to celebrate as well. And you know better than to give me St. Andrew's day, Lianachan. ;)

Melusine
2006-Mar-18, 06:21 PM
Actually, it's "deoch an dorais".

I would if it were untrue. Unfortunately we do have a major problem with alcohol consumption. You can hardly complain about a stereotype when so many of your compatriots are doing their best to validate it!
Yes! If you look at Merriam-Webster's explanation in my post above they point that out:

"In Scottish Gaelic, it's spelled "deoch an doruis"; in Irish, it's "deoch an dorrias."

Merriam-Webster's is an American dictionary, btw, which is why their definitions begin with familiar spellings to us. In the etymology part of each definition they state the original spellings. I'd subscribe to the OED, too, but it's too expensive!

Question: In your opinion, why is there still a major problem with alcohol consumption?

Edit: rephrase question & delete possibly tacky comment

Melusine
2006-Mar-18, 06:28 PM
Yep. I wish there was some sort of Scottish holiday to celebrate as well. And you know better than to give me St. Andrew's day, Lianachan. ;)
:boohoo:

Well, since I don't know my origins, I just celebrate them all and I'm covered. Kiss me, I'm Irish today, tomorrow I could be German, the next day Italian....:razz:

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-18, 06:37 PM
Yeah, Scots have kind of appropriated St. Paddy's day around here. I was downtown last night and caught a group of them dancing down the road, in full kilt, piping away.

Might have something to do with being at a "Scottish" university...

TriangleMan
2006-Mar-18, 06:52 PM
I went to a big St. Patrick's Day bash hosted by an Irish insurance brokerage. Good fun.

It's kind of amusing - I wonder if St. Patrick would have really approved of people partying on his Saint Day. :D

Melusine
2006-Mar-18, 06:53 PM
Yeah, Scots have kind of appropriated St. Paddy's day around here. I was downtown last night and caught a group of them dancing down the road, in full kilt, piping away.

Might have something to do with being at a "Scottish" university...
I thought you didn't drink....:think: ....so what were you doing downtown last night? Kidding. That would be fun to see.

There's a big Scottish club in Houston:
http://www.houstonhighlandgames.com/

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-18, 07:17 PM
Yeah, can't drink, so didn't. A friend has her boyfriend up from North Carolina, so a group of us went to dinner. Actually, now that I think of it, lots of Scottish stuff showed up last night. We were watching curling in the restaurant. ;)

Lianachan
2006-Mar-18, 09:28 PM
St. Patrick's day is more celebrated here than St. Andrews day, which just seems,well....wrong to me.

The Scottish holiday you guys have is Tartan Day, isn't it? Or is that just an American thing? I know it's just viewed over here with bemusement.

(Although I'm all for anything that promotes Scotland, especially if it's distinct from Britain)

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-18, 09:35 PM
Tartan Day? Never heard of it. Must just be a US thing. Maybe Burns' birthday would be a good holiday?

And you know what? To heck with it. Come November 30th, I might just throw something togther. Like I said, lots of Scots around here. Too bad it's on a Thursday this year...

Eroica
2006-Mar-19, 10:55 AM
Don't the Scots have a Burns' Night or something like that?

Then there's Hogmanay.

Launch window
2006-Mar-19, 01:17 PM
I thought I'd post this link

JFK,
the President that actually did something for space exploration unlike those other Democrat fiascos and Republican fiascos
http://www.jfklibrary.org/jfk_san_antonio_11-21-63.html
John F Kennedy makes a non-partisan speech about exploration, American research, new frontiers and speaks about a writer named O'Connor

JFK seemed to have some great ideas for America's future thinking 20 years ahead of his own time.

Lianachan
2006-Mar-19, 01:32 PM
Yup, looks like Tartan Day is purely an American thing (http://www.tartanday.com/about.htm), as suspected.

Don't the Scots have a Burns' Night or something like that?

Indeed yes. I wasn't lamenting the lack of any Scot's national days, just mentiong that I am amused that St. Patrick's day is more celebrated here than St. Andrew's day. I suspect it's to do with the consumption of Guinness more than anything else.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-19, 06:06 PM
I just need more excuses to wear my kilt. Say what you will, it's bloody comfortable. And the ladies love it for some reason. Go figure. So far, my list of "Kilt Days" is:

Queen's Frosh Week
Queen's Homecoming
St. Andrew's Day
Burns' Birthday (I'm planning a less... er... formal Burns Night. At a pub. *Ahem*)
St. Patrick's Day (Seems to be a tradition here. Odd, but any excuse will do.)
Victoria Day
Canada Day

Melusine
2006-Mar-19, 09:11 PM
I just need more excuses to wear my kilt. Say what you will, it's bloody comfortable. And the ladies love it for some reason. Go figure. So far, my list of "Kilt Days" is:

You should put a picture in the photo album - Bawheid has a kilt on in his picture (though he seems to be gone now). As far as the ladies liking kilts...I could say so many things, but I won't. :silenced:

(I think you Scots are usurping this Irish thread, though I guess since St. Patrick wasn't a native Irishman it's OK, huh?)

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-19, 09:24 PM
You should put a picture in the photo album - Bawheid has a kilt on in his picture (though he seems to be gone now).

I think I will, as soon as I have access to a camera.

As far as the ladies liking kilts...I could say so many things, but I won't. :silenced:

Well, now. I'm intrigued. Spill it! :lol:

(I think you Scots are usurping this Irish thread, though I guess since St. Patrick wasn't a native Irishman it's OK, huh?)

Yeah, my fault. Terribly sorry. It's just that Scots usurping St. Paddy's day is what happens in real life here, so...

Melusine
2006-Mar-19, 09:52 PM
I think I will, as soon as I have access to a camera.
They have disposable digicams in the drugstore, don't they?

Well, now. I'm intrigued. Spill it! :lol:

NO WAY!! I don't want to get banned. It's against the RULES:

18. Rule Additions & Revisions

The administrators reserve the right to modify existing rules and/or add additional rules as they see fit. In many ways, this board is like a living thing, subject to change. Situations sometimes arise which cannot be anticipated, and thus, rules must be added to accommodate them.

19. New Rule Regarding Decorum

In addition to the above rules, the administrators do not feel it is appropriate to discuss Scottish kilts and the nature of the attraction of such kilts, as this could be construed as "off-color" and not family-friendly.

Yeah, my fault. Terribly sorry. It's just that Scots usurping St. Paddy's day is what happens in real life here, so...
It's past St. Paddy's Day anyway....

Lianachan
2006-Mar-19, 10:10 PM
I don't have a kilt - in fact, I've only ever worn one once. However, I'll be doing so again. Extremely comfy!

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-19, 10:48 PM
They have disposable digicams in the drugstore, don't they?

Yep. But my kilt is in Ottawa, and I'm not. Besides, I need to have the darn thing taken in a bit before I can wear it. It's no good if it's around my ankles...

NO WAY!! I don't want to get banned. It's against the RULES:

Alright, alright! Can't break the rule now, can we? ;)

I don't have a kilt - in fact, I've only ever worn one once. However, I'll be doing so again. Extremely comfy!

I was actually surprised the first time that I wore one. It was about 30 C out, and we were doing a MacBeth skit at school. Before I changed out of my uniform, I was sweltering. Afterward, it was like having my own personal air conditioner.

And the reaction from the class was great. One of the girls was a piper for the local Air Cadets squadron, and I think her reaction was thus:

"Wahaa! Yes! That's awesome! C'mere!"

Which was nice, y'know? :razz:

LurchGS
2006-Mar-20, 02:44 AM
well, while there's both Scot AND Ire in me, I favor St Patty's day with a gimlet eye of disfavour... though it's good for my SAR group - we had a full 2 minutes of coverage in the Denver parade this year.

Humph - and I was home under the influence of wonderful chemicals