PDA

View Full Version : "Proof" of my backyard (and deer)

Van Rijn
2006-Mar-20, 08:47 AM
Some people on BAUT have suggested I don't actually have a backyard that deer, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, cats, and perhaps invisible elves play. I've said I might provide some evidence if I managed to get a good deer picture.

Well, at latest count, there have been up to seven deer in the yard at one time. I managed to get five in a picture once, and here are some pics.

In the first, you see them walking in the lower yard. That is a badminton court in serious need of cleaning and recoating in the background. Picture 2 was taken on another day, but gives a better idea of what the yard is like. Picture 3 shows a couple of deer trooping behind an olive tree on their way out of the yard. They have been munching the ivy all over the yard, especially around that olive tree. That is an orange tree on the left.

I'm still trying to keep the deer out, but I think my elf is working against me. *sigh*

So there you have it. The yard does exist! By the way, there was sun yesterday and today and I finally managed to get some mowing done on that shaggy yard - just in time for the next rainstorm. Heh.

mahesh
2006-Mar-20, 08:56 AM
aah!
how very nice to be soooo close to nature, Van Rijn

Van Rijn
2006-Mar-20, 09:03 AM
aah!
how very nice to be soooo close to nature, Van Rijn

Want me to ship the deer to you? :) They're nice to look at, a minor conversation piece, but a pain to deal with.

The funny thing is that this is deep in rather well developed suburbs. I think it is more of a case of nature deciding to move in than being close to nature.

mahesh
2006-Mar-20, 09:48 AM
ya i understand....
besides our domestic pets, we have squirrels, badgers, foxes, in and around our backyard. urbane they might be (not), urban they definitely are.
we have encroached on their space....

Lianachan
2006-Mar-20, 10:46 AM
I know a good way to get rid of deer - have you ever heard of venison?

:)

Van Rijn
2006-Mar-20, 11:19 AM
I know a good way to get rid of deer - have you ever heard of venison?

:)

Yes, I've jokingly discussed ideas with others that I just might be able to pull it off. A gun is out of the question unless I want a visit from the sheriff. I have considered taking up archery again and buying a compound bow, but I really don't want to take the chance of having to deal with rampaging deer. And then if somebody actually saw me . . .

But seriously, there are homes to all sides and even without the legal issues it would be far too dangerous to do anything like that.

Lianachan
2006-Mar-20, 11:37 AM
Yes, I've jokingly discussed ideas with others that I just might be able to pull it off. A gun is out of the question unless I want a visit from the sheriff. I have considered taking up archery again and buying a compound bow, but I really don't want to take the chance of having to deal with rampaging deer. And then if somebody actually saw me . . .

But seriously, there are homes to all sides and even without the legal issues it would be far too dangerous to do anything like that.

Hmm. I guess you'll have to go all Rambo on them, and make traps, lie hidden in the grass with a big knife in your teeth, etc...

HenrikOlsen
2006-Mar-20, 11:37 AM
Don't try to grow roses, you'll never get any flowers.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-20, 01:48 PM
I didn't know badmitton was played on pavement; thought it was a grass court.

For the deer (and other pests); if you want to keep them away from your fruit trees, try this:

Bar of soap (Ivory recommended) left in wrapper, hole drilled thru it. Hang from lower branch.

Swift
2006-Mar-20, 03:17 PM
Very nice looking yard. You can keep your deer though, I have plenty in mine, plus the occassional flock of wild turkeys passing through (they like the beech nuts from our beech trees).

You can clearly see the invisible elf in the middle photo. All the proof I need. ;)

Frantic Freddie
2006-Mar-20, 05:50 PM
Actually,one of the easiest & cheapest ways to repel deer is with human urine.I'll leave the ideas on how to spread it around to your imagination

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-20, 06:11 PM
Nice picture of the elves in the third one, to the left of the deer.

Tensor
2006-Mar-20, 08:24 PM
[I]

So there you have it. The yard does exist!

I would still say it's a hoax, the shadows aren't parallel. ;)

Swift
2006-Mar-20, 08:37 PM
I don't see any stars either! :shifty:

Van Rijn
2006-Mar-21, 01:25 AM
Don't try to grow roses, you'll never get any flowers.

There are two rose bushes. I never saw a deer until late last year. I'm probably partly at fault for that - there is one point at the fence where the ground rises quite a bit and that's where they like to come in. In the front yard at that spot there is a tree that had a massive overgrowth of ivy - trunks several inches in diameter (I've been known to play Tarzan while attempting to pull down ivy). The ivy had laid siege on the tree and was getting close to killing it, so I got rid of a lot of ivy.

Unfortunately, that also left an empty spot near the fence. *sigh*

Van Rijn
2006-Mar-21, 01:26 AM

I don't see any stars either! :shifty:

Darn! I knew I forgot something!

Sammy
2006-Mar-21, 03:30 AM
Actually,one of the easiest & cheapest ways to repel deer is with human urine.I'll leave the ideas on how to spread it around to your imagination

Only works 'til the first rain, tho.

I have spent hours online researching "deer resistant" plants for my back patio planting, inspired by losing 3 large (and expensive hydrangeia) last summer. The problem is that one "expert's" resistant plants are slammed as "deer buffet" by another "expert." It seems to come down to population pressure and (deer) personal taste.

Haven't decided what to try yet. Anyone here with sucess in find plants that their deer won't eat?

Enzp
2006-Mar-21, 05:09 AM
I never doubted. I have deer also, as well as the wild turkeys (though they mostly live in the farm field across the street), and the whole crew of woodchucks, racoons, possums, chipmunks, skunks (nothing more fun than one of those camping under the porch), the once in a while coyote, and even a fox. The swamp next to us hosts sandhill cranes (though I have yet to hear them this season, they're a few weeks late now), geese, muskrats, and who knows what else. Oh, rabbits of course. Moles and voles and things in holes.

I "share" my fruit trees with them. I think the secret is to plant enough for all of you. I did put some wire and a fencer around the garden a couple years. Didn't see many deer tracks in the area then, but it did nothing to deter the rodents and rabbits. A salt lick and some sacrificial fruit trees or other plantings as far from the area you want to keep as possible might help.

Tim Thompson
2006-Mar-21, 08:51 PM
It's a message from beyond. You should start a deer farm.

Swift
2006-Mar-21, 09:06 PM
I have used this deer repellent (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=deer+repellent&pid=2208212011732675841&oid=16685926370953053087&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=mrd&hl=en) with some success. It does not wash away in the rain, but does need to be reapplied periodically.

I have also used this stuff (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=rabbit+repellent&pid=1774552565468636877&oid=11486974604151416753&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=mrd&hl=en) for deer and rabbits. Again, they work pretty well, but are not perfect. This liquid stuff does smell pretty bad, at least when first applied.

Enzp
2006-Mar-22, 03:23 AM
Or maybe just post a John Deere letter on a tree, they'll read it and drift away brokenhearted.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-22, 03:32 AM
Pfft. Deer. In Ottawa, I live right at the edge of the suburbs, and there are cougar in them parts. I hear this (http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/animal/BigCats/cougar6.wav) a lot. Never seen one, though...

Van Rijn
2006-Mar-22, 06:50 AM
I have used this deer repellent (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=deer+repellent&pid=2208212011732675841&oid=16685926370953053087&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=mrd&hl=en) with some success. It does not wash away in the rain, but does need to be reapplied periodically.

I have also used this stuff (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=rabbit+repellent&pid=1774552565468636877&oid=11486974604151416753&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=mrd&hl=en) for deer and rabbits. Again, they work pretty well, but are not perfect. This liquid stuff does smell pretty bad, at least when first applied.

Thanks for the suggestions. Does "shake away" also have a very obvious/bad smell?

Van Rijn
2006-Mar-22, 07:10 AM
Pfft. Deer. In Ottawa, I live right at the edge of the suburbs, and there are cougar in them parts. I hear this (http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/animal/BigCats/cougar6.wav) a lot. Never seen one, though...

That's the thing though: This is well in the suburbs. I think they work their way up from the river, but that's some distance away. Deer may have been here before people, but this is a case of deer moving into the suburbs.

I hope we never get a mountain lion/cougar here. They're very rare in the valley, but if you get one, you can say goodbye to any outside domestic cats. Coyote are more common - and also dangerous for the domestics.

Enzp: We have had skunks, I forgot to mention them. One night it was quite dark and I saw my cat walking by me on a narrow path. As I started to bend down to pet him I noticed he was walking oddly and had a white stripe on his back . . . I froze instantly. That darned skunk just kept walking by like it didn't have a care in the world. I didn't smell a darned thing.

Another time I tried to trap a feral cat and got a skunk instead. That time I got a single drop of spray on my shirt from about a 8' distance - and despite washing, the small amount that made it to my skin was obvious the whole day. (By the way, forget tomato juice. It doesn't work. From Mythbusters, I've learned that hydrogen peroxide is reasonably effective, but I didn't know it then.)

No wild turkeys - though they aren't unknown in the area - but occasional ducks and geese stop in the pool. One duck stuck around for most of a day and was almost tame. Moles and voles for sure.

Swift
2006-Mar-22, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Does "shake away" also have a very obvious/bad smell?
Much, much less.

Swift
2006-Mar-22, 03:54 PM
That darned skunk just kept walking by like it didn't have a care in the world.
That's only because they don't. ;) Unfortunately for them, they haven't figured out yet that cars don't care about their spray.

(By the way, forget tomato juice. It doesn't work. From Mythbusters, I've learned that hydrogen peroxide is reasonably effective, but I didn't know it then.)

Skunk anti-oder recipe (http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html)
You want a little baking soda in there with the peroxide, it works better under basic conditions. Make sure you are using 3% peroxide, not the industrial strength, or you may burn yourself or your pet.

Gemini
2006-Mar-22, 10:59 PM
So, where's the invisible Elf? :-x :P ;)

Enzp
2006-Mar-23, 02:35 AM
He's standing right there. The shorter one is his wife.

snarkophilus
2006-Mar-23, 09:51 AM
How do we know that's your back yard? I suggest that it is, in fact, your neighbour's yard, and indeed his elf, whose identity you have appropriated for your own sinister ends! How do you prove that I am wrong? ;)

Gigabyte
2009-Oct-04, 03:07 PM
http://www.bautforum.com/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=1038

That's no elf!!!

cosmocrazy
2009-Oct-04, 07:23 PM
It is is just got big and hairy in the last few years or so.

tdvance
2009-Oct-04, 09:07 PM
Only works 'til the first rain, tho.

I have spent hours online researching "deer resistant" plants for my back patio planting, inspired by losing 3 large (and expensive hydrangeia) last summer. The problem is that one "expert's" resistant plants are slammed as "deer buffet" by another "expert." It seems to come down to population pressure and (deer) personal taste.

Haven't decided what to try yet. Anyone here with sucess in find plants that their deer won't eat?

A cousin of mine back in WV has a big deer problem, but he has an arrangement with a local barber to collect the hair and dump it on his garden. It gives it that nice, human smell, (hunter smell, even, in WV).

Gigabyte
2009-Oct-04, 09:46 PM

Notice the deer is leaving.

Tobin Dax
2009-Oct-04, 10:11 PM

That's obviously because Bigfoot (on the other side of the tree) told him to take a hike.

Van Rijn
2009-Oct-04, 10:56 PM
Funny I never noticed this before, but here's something else. I wonder what this could be:

Van Rijn
2009-Oct-04, 11:06 PM
Link to post and image (http://www.bautforum.com/1589330-post33.html)

Amazing what you can find with the right image filters, isn't it?

Gigabyte
2009-Oct-04, 11:25 PM
I like where this thread is going. You have a fascinating backyard, did you know that?

Rue
2009-Oct-05, 02:44 AM
That's amazing. Start a bed and breakfast for city folk!

Tobin Dax
2009-Oct-05, 02:59 AM
Every once in a while, I realize that I should check the bottom of the previous page before posting. :shifty:

mugaliens
2009-Oct-05, 06:53 AM
I like where this thread is going. You have a fascinating backyard, did you know that?

Fascinating, yes! If a bit crowded...

Gigabyte
2009-Oct-05, 10:18 AM
I suspect it is going to become even more crowded.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Oct-05, 12:59 PM
Funny I never noticed this before, but here's something else. I wonder what this could be:
What's that elephant doing in your pool?

Swift
2009-Oct-05, 01:32 PM
It could be that your pool is WAY overdue for a cleaning.

megrfl
2009-Oct-05, 01:49 PM
That's what the Nessies for... http://www.epinions.com/review/McEwen_Industries_Nessie_Automatic_Pool_Cleaner/content_27777011332

It looks like its working pretty good. :)