PDA

View Full Version : Would doing this get you out of a black hole?

WaxRubiks
2006-Mar-21, 02:40 PM
If you followed closely, a wormhole into a blackhole(beyond event horizon) and then fell through the wormhole before being crushed to emerge somewhere else in the Universe.

antoniseb
2006-Mar-21, 03:09 PM
If you followed closely, a wormhole into a blackhole(beyond event horizon) and then fell through the wormhole before being crushed to emerge somewhere else in the Universe.

We are not certain that wormholes exist, and are very unclear about what properties they might have with one end inside an event horizon but not at a singularity.

It would be easier to answer your question if you could specify which theory's wormhole model you are talking about.

WaxRubiks
2006-Mar-21, 03:24 PM
It would be easier to answer your question if you could specify which theory's wormhole model you are talking about.

the star trek theory. :)

Other than that, I don't really know :shrug:

eburacum45
2006-Mar-21, 04:09 PM
The physicist and science fiction writer Geoffrey Landis thinks it is feasible (at least for the purposes of fiction);
this story describes a trip into, and out of a black hole using a wormhole.
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/perimelasma.htm

Note- this story has a literal twist in the tale...

I have considered this possibility myself as well- a wormhole into a black hole could possibly be useful as a negative energy factory- negative energy is theoretically manufactured at the inner edge of the event horizon, balancing the positive Hawking radiation. Using a wormhole you might be able to extract considerable amounts of negative energy from inside a black hole. No doubt this would violate some universal principle, but it sounds an intriguing possibility to me.

Disinfo Agent
2006-Mar-21, 06:27 PM

Other than that, I don't really know :shrug:Sure, all you need to do is reverse the polarity of the neutron flow. ;)

umop ap!sdn
2006-Mar-22, 02:33 AM
It'll only work if it's >50 minutes into the episode and you're doing this to escape a villain. :razz:

On a serious note, I thought black holes and wormholes were similar entities: the fabric of 4D space-time warped in such a way that it's similar to a 2D sheet stretched into a funnel. It seems then that the situation described would involve a wormhole protruding from the "neck" of the black hole, in which case one might easily slip into it and avoid spaghettified doom.

I know nothing of the math involved though.

Peter Wilson
2006-Mar-24, 10:02 PM
Why would you follow a wormhole into a blackhole?

Dragon Star
2006-Mar-24, 11:21 PM
The gravitational waves that are produced by black holes would crush and contort anything before you could even get close, it's just not possible.

Disinfo Agent
2006-Mar-24, 11:25 PM
No problem. Frog March would just have to activate the shields of his spaceship.

alainprice
2006-Mar-25, 06:27 AM
Let's try a supersized wormhole inside a supermassive blackhole.