PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten (almost) Plausible ways to destroy the earth

SchrodingersCat
2006-Mar-21, 10:18 PM
I found this after looking through some of the 'noah's ark' links - thought it was interesting :)

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/top10_naturaldisasterthreats_us-1.html

GDwarf
2006-Mar-21, 10:24 PM
Ah yes, the full up-to-date site can be found here (http://qntm.org/destroy). I'm fairly certain that it's due to that site that I found Badastronomy.org, and it provides all sorts of interesting info about the Earth.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-22, 10:07 AM
it would be pointless to tell anyone. Ming the Merciless already tried these approaches back in the 1930's. Dr. Evil had a good explanation about why he still bothers to try. Besides we already absolved Darth Vader for his Alderand (sic) prank. They don't make bad guys like they used to any more. As Kurt Vonnegut once said, "So it goes."

Jakenorrish
2006-Mar-22, 03:09 PM
I'm sure that the best way would be for Robbie Williams to release another album, but maybe that's just me....!

Swift
2006-Mar-22, 03:18 PM
I did like this bit...

Current Earth-destruction Status

Number of times the Earth has been destroyed: 0
Number of plans currently in progress with the final aim of bringing about the Earth's destruction: 0

The second, I imagine, is "to the best of their knowledge". ;)

Staiduk
2006-Mar-23, 06:01 AM
Why not put a few shovelfuls into a box every time there's a Shuttle flight? Toss the box into deep space...you'd need a rocket motor on the box, I guess; or Tiger Woods could give it a good whack...when you get to orbit? That's work!

Granted, it'd take a few trips...

eburacum45
2006-Mar-23, 08:56 AM
Techincally, that falls under option#4
Meticulously and systematically deconstructed (http://www.livescience.com/technology/10ways_destroyearth-4.html)

but it would take a long time, and use up a lot of energy.

One source of energy that the writer of that site didn't consider is fusion; all the elements that make up the Earth with a lower atomic number than iron are fusible in theory, and would give out heat in the process. If they could somehow be persuaded to get friendly with each other (very difficult) then the resulting energy would be enough to disassemble the Earth.
Note that chemical explosives would not be strong enough; it would take a ball of TNT ten times as big as the Earth to blow it completely apart, if that makes any sense.

Robert Andersson
2006-Mar-23, 09:39 AM
EARTH-DESTRUCTION ALERT LEVEL: GREEN

Current Earth status: NOT DESTROYED

A "Green" Earth-Destruction Alert Level (EDA Level) indicates that the Earth has not been destroyed. This is the default EDA Level in peacetime. In the event of the Earth being destroyed, the EDA Level will change to "Red".
Good to know. They also have a mailing list that will alert you in the event the Earth is destroyed.

Swift
2006-Mar-23, 03:33 PM
You could always just ask the Vogons to put in a bypass. ;)

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-23, 09:47 PM
You could always just ask the Vogons to put in a bypass. ;)
That would require a request in quintiplicate. :eh:
And loooots of patience.