PDA

View Full Version : Time - by Michio Kaku

eburacum45
2006-Mar-23, 07:01 AM
I have been a little dissapointed in this series, until last night's episode on BBC4.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/time4.shtml
So far Kaku has been discussing the philosophical implications of time, and the possibility of life extension; interesting enough, but not the sort of mind bending stuff I would expect from a string physicist.

Here was Kaku, on top of an Alp, in a mountain top lab which detects time-dilated muons; then he was shrunk down to the Planck length, surrounded by cosmic foam; a pair of wormholes were created and turned into a time machine
Video clip (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/bbcfour/media/time4b?size=16x9&bgc=C0C0C0&nbram=1&bbram=1)

(for the sake of high strangeness, Kaku glossed over the problems with negative energy somewhat).

All in all, rather jolly stuff, and worth watching. Shame that this was the last in the series, and not the first.

Roy Batty
2006-Mar-23, 04:39 PM
It was the 1st one i've managed to see all the way through but have to agree it seemed the most interesting! I get the impression he trying to be the next 'Carl Sagan' presenter :)

Gullible Jones
2006-Mar-25, 09:35 PM
Argh... Realplayer. Why oh why Realplayer?!

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Mar-27, 02:35 AM
Argh... Realplayer. Why oh why Realplayer?!
Um ...

'Cause they Can ...

Also, it Is The Easiest to Download, Especially on a SLOOW Connection!

:clap:

parallaxicality
2006-Mar-27, 12:48 PM
I've been less than impressed with the series; I was hoping for a profound examination as to the nature of time itself and what it was. Instead I got a pastiche of different themes about how we, the world, and ultimately the universe EXPERIENCE time, but nothing about time itself, bar a few brief discussions of general relativity.

loglo
2006-Apr-01, 06:02 PM
I've been less than impressed with the series; I was hoping for a profound examination as to the nature of time itself and what it was. Instead I got a pastiche of different themes about how we, the world, and ultimately the universe EXPERIENCE time, but nothing about time itself, bar a few brief discussions of general relativity.

Exactly the problem with every popular treatment of time I have read or seen. Too much about what it does, not enough about what it is! Perhaps they should get Julian Barbour to do a show.

parallaxicality
2006-Apr-01, 11:01 PM
I dunno. Barbour's ideas come a bit too close to fate for my taste.

loglo
2006-Apr-02, 12:09 PM
Maybe, but at least he is addressing the problem and not just waxing philosophical. I'm impressed he has been going at it for so long without going nuts, his papers make my brain ache. (Andersons are worse though) :)