PDA

View Full Version : Media's Sheen Coverage

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-23, 11:09 PM
I am getting puzzled by the increasing number of media sources who cast dispursions about anybody who voices a conspiracy theory. This massive slam-dunk upon people can only cause negative reactions much like the example of the "Unibomber." I don't mind catching flack for side issues like Big Foot or UFO's but if an American questions government intentions, the limited scope for a 9-11 investigation, or research into the other terror-type events of Waco/OK City/ or TWA 800, now they are told to "Get Off the Phone, you Dumby." or wacky-woo-woo-tinfoil-brigadier general etc. etc. Some patriots may get a kick out of this form of entertainment- demeaning people based on their intelligence. Real patriots anxiously hope that the press, radio, and tv will set a better example for the sake of our troops in harms way. When families of our young service people overseas equate defending the war effort (a very good thing) with total carte blache to our president (always a bad thing), what role should a free press play in our country where since 1987's O"Neil speech, we have one party with a plan and another which "opposes" it? Is the Media responsible for setting the stage for an Hegelian dialectic which is now forming in America? Or are all critiques of the media now considered too political?

Gillianren
2006-Mar-24, 12:47 AM
You mean "aspersions." That's as far as I read, because your writing was a bit impenetrable.

James_Digriz
2006-Mar-24, 03:41 AM
I don't mind catching flack for side issues like Big Foot or UFO's but if an American questions government intentions, the limited scope for a 9-11 investigation, or research into the other terror-type events of Waco/OK City/ or TWA 800,

+1

We arn't supposed to talk about politics.

But since you asked: Can you be more specific? I can't see anybody being in the same leauge as the UFO people just because they question government intentions or want a more detailed investigation.

I think you must mean conspiracy type answers to those questions and the answer to that is that conspiracy theories provide easy answers to complicated questions but there the wrong answers.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-24, 04:01 AM
Nevermind.

James_Digriz
2006-Mar-24, 04:06 AM
Neverminding.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-26, 03:04 PM
I'm hoping that Mr. Sheen's antics will generate enough interest
in the 'contents' of the conspiracy theories, rather than just as
a sociological phenomenon, that someone in the mainstream media
will produce a good debunking of it.
So this thing won't keep bleeding into the non-fringe public mindset.

James_Digriz
2006-Mar-26, 04:09 PM
So this thing won't keep bleeding into the non-fringe public mindset.

Unfortunatley the averge member of the non-fringe public was more concerned with watching American Idol then the Republican or Democratic National conventions last election year. That's what I heard anyway. I hope it wasn't true.

The Incredible Bloke
2006-Mar-26, 05:24 PM
While conspiracies do occur(it's even a crime) it's the general nuttiness of the CT's themselves who see something sinister everywhere that brings ridicule upon them. And rightfully so.

Musashi
2006-Mar-26, 05:55 PM
For example. (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=711427&postcount=955)

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-26, 06:03 PM
I have even seen it suggested, on GLP, which seems to be down right
now, that the 'exposure' itself is part of an even larger conspiracy.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-26, 07:01 PM
This may be so, but a free press is fundamental to a good military. May they both thrive as this link suggests:

http://www.sfbayview.com/110905/radioactivetank110905.shtml

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-Mar-27, 05:07 AM
I think you must mean conspiracy type answers to those questions and the answer to that is that conspiracy theories provide easy answers to complicated questions but there the wrong answers.
More often than not it's quite the opposite: complicated "answers" to easy questions.

James_Digriz
2006-Mar-28, 12:18 AM
More often than not it's quite the opposite: complicated "answers" to easy questions.

In Science sure, but we are talking about Conspiracy Theories.

This may be so, but a free press is fundamental to a good military. May they both thrive as this link suggests:

I really don't think the free press has helped the military much. There have been too many cases where they have hurt them for my tastes. The Newsweek bit about the Korans being flushed down the toilet which caused riots where people died and which Newsweek later retracted being only the latest.

The soilder who had been hit by a suicide bomber the day before and then shot that guy who was moving. Then said soilder is brought up on charges becuase it was caught on a newsmans tape reel. It's WAR. Not the Special Edition of Star Wars where Han Solo lets Greedo have the first shot.

All the negative coverage of the war and very little of the good.

The almost nightly focus on body counts for a while.

The continuous Abu Grabi coverage for way too long.

All the poor predictions. Ground war quagmire, election bloodbaths, ect.

I know im still missing some but you get the point.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Apr-04, 12:46 AM
I hear ya. I personally don't care whether it is called main-stream or alternative, the press has a responsibility to expose the evil without playing on people's fears. Hopefully those who do a goos job will be rewarded someday.