PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat off-topic...

irony
2003-Mar-12, 03:19 PM
This probably doesn't quite belong in this forum, and is not really about bad astronomy in any case, but I simply had to share the fact that there exists a webcomic called Chibi Cheerleaders from Outer Space (http://www.pnhcomic.com/chibi/).

(See? 'from Outer Space'! This is astronomy-related! I can post it here!)

Russ
2003-Mar-13, 12:56 PM
An interesting juxtaposition of cheerleaders and them being from space. I wonder if there's a bit of a double entendre there?? I think that, were I a cheerleader, I'd take the time to be offended.

Regarding the cartoon in general. It would have to be better to be lame. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

gethen
2003-Mar-13, 01:35 PM
Irony, where do you find this stuff? Your web site just cracks me up.

irony
2003-Mar-13, 02:38 PM
On 2003-03-13 08:35, gethen wrote:
Irony, where do you find this stuff? Your web site just cracks me up.

I seriously don't know. It just sort of comes to me.

Although a lot of recent stuff in the 'antiscience' section has been kindly provided by you people /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

gethen
2003-Mar-13, 04:11 PM
You must be referring to the spongemonkies? I think I've been scarred for life by that one.

Colt
2003-Mar-14, 12:44 AM
Ok, Irony, I now hate you, in a good way. I was actually distracted from the BABB by your site.. Amazing site, I am just going through random links. One (hollow earth) gave me the idea for a thread just now. Thanks. -Colt

g99
2003-Mar-16, 07:03 PM
I'm with colt. The internet distracts me wwaayy too much to be good for me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

kilopi
2003-Mar-16, 08:43 PM
Check out the sweater letters on these two (http://www.pnhcomic.com/chibi/?comic=21) in the first frame: BA. That's gotta mean something.

irony
2003-Mar-16, 10:15 PM
I've got my own webcomic I've been working on for a while, and I may finally get it online when keenspace gets back on its feet. It contains, I admit, some horribly Bad Biology, but no Bad Astronomy... except for a bit in this (http://66.216.7.172/irony/bitsnpieces/harrison.jpg) drawing of one of the characters. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The shirt will appear in the comic itself at some point, too... I hope Dr. Plait doesn't mind. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

David Hall
2003-Mar-16, 11:05 PM
Uh, excuse me, how can it be a web comic if it's not online? Am I missing something here? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

jokergirl
2003-Mar-16, 11:06 PM
*high-fives her fellow comic artist*

Whee! Of course, there is BA in my comic... like phaser bolts, but i will try and explain them away some time if I get to it. Already have a BA special planned, too.
(Just don't click on the link right now, please... the files got horribly damaged in the crash and at the moment nothing is working /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
I will have to redesign the page when I get time off from my usual stress.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

irony
2003-Mar-16, 11:21 PM
On 2003-03-16 18:05, David Hall wrote:
Uh, excuse me, how can it be a web comic if it's not online? Am I missing something here? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Fine, then, go ahead and nitpick. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Allow me to clarify: it's currently just a comic. It will be a webcomic, when I can get webspace for it.

Better? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

David Hall
2003-Mar-16, 11:31 PM
Aw, I'm just ribbin' you. I think your artwork looks fantastic. I truly wish I could draw like that (heck, I just wish I had any talent at all. I'm hopeless in the creative arts). I can't wait to see more. Are you going to fill us in on what it's going to be about, or not?

irony
2003-Mar-16, 11:36 PM
Well, I'm afraid doing so would be seriously off-topic... it's not astronomy related. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

g99
2003-Mar-17, 01:05 AM
Wow. Great drawing! I am very impressed. I really wish i can draw.
But to make up for my drawing i am very good at digging myself into holes. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-17, 06:22 AM
I seem to only be capable of drawing schematic type art (see site below). I have had little success with drawing living things. Though the skills I do have help me draw astronomy related stuff, solar systems, spacecraft, etc. -Colt

g99
2003-Mar-17, 07:05 AM
Surprisingly i am amazingly good at drawing straight lines with a ruler! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Actually i have been trying to teach myself to draw with some good books. Hopefully it will pan out. Here's to trying...

tracer
2003-Mar-18, 02:43 AM
On 2003-03-12 10:19, irony wrote:
I simply had to share the fact that there exists a webcomic called Chibi Cheerleaders from Outer Space (http://www.pnhcomic.com/chibi/).
If they're from outer space, why do they look so much like people?

(Don't tell me ... same 4-billion-year-old "genetic program" planted throughout the galaxy which created the Klingons and the Vulcans and the Cardassians, right?)

irony
2003-Mar-18, 03:18 AM
Dude, Chibi Cheerleaders from Outer Space don't need reasons! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

gethen
2003-Mar-18, 02:13 PM
Irony--all of a sudden my server doesn't recognize your domain name and I can't get to your website. You haven't changed anything have you? I will investigate further.

irony
2003-Mar-18, 02:33 PM
Nothing's changed except that ainself.net is having some server problems. I don't know when it'll be fixed.

gethen
2003-Mar-18, 03:13 PM
On 2003-03-18 09:33, irony wrote:
Nothing's changed except that ainself.net is having some server problems. I don't know when it'll be fixed.

Ah, that's probably the problem. I'll just wait it out then. Thanks!

tracer
2003-Mar-18, 09:49 PM
On 2003-03-17 22:18, irony wrote:
Dude, Chibi Cheerleaders from Outer Space don't need reasons! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
That's just what they want you to think! Darn it, man, they've blinded you to their obvious flaw: They've undergone ridiculous, unbelievable amounts of parallel evolution! Not only do these creatures, who evolved in a completely different biosphere from Earth, look remarkably like human beings (except for the enormous oversized eyes), but they also managed to evolve a culture so similar to that of 20th century Western civilization that they independently invented cheerleading! (And, apparently, they independently developed English as a language, too.)

g99
2003-Mar-18, 10:17 PM
On 2003-03-18 16:49, tracer wrote:

On 2003-03-17 22:18, irony wrote:
That's just what they want you to think! Darn it, man, they've blinded you to their obvious flaw: They've undergone ridiculous, unbelievable amounts of parallel evolution! Not only do these creatures, who evolved in a completely different biosphere from Earth, look remarkably like human beings (except for the enormous oversized eyes), but they also managed to evolve a culture so similar to that of 20th century Western civilization that they independently invented cheerleading! (And, apparently, they independently developed English as a language, too.)

and all in two dimensions /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

irony
2003-Mar-19, 01:32 AM
You guys need to watch more movies... then you might stop thinking this was so odd. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

gethen
2003-Mar-19, 01:36 AM
Yeah, my brother-in-law will not rent a movie that does not have cheerleaders either in the title or in the picture on the front. Cheerleaders are saturating our culture. Maybe they acutally ARE invaders from outer space.

Ba Witda
2003-Mar-19, 05:06 PM
On 2003-03-18 20:32, irony wrote:
You guys need to watch more movies... then you might stop thinking this was so odd. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ba can see nothing good coming from that. If a person thinks this is normal, it's time for them to be carted off to make baskets.

tracer
2003-Mar-20, 09:17 PM
Nonsense! Nowhere in the universe have we ever discovered a life-bearing planet that didn't have cheerleaders on it! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif