PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious green light?

queen.pea
2006-Mar-24, 09:03 PM
Me and my friends were on holiday in Cyprus when we all saw a green light go across the sky in a arch shape. It was clearly green and it was too slow to be an aircraft, but not extremley fast either. It then broke up into two parts and it dissapeared. It wasnt a fire work as it was firing sideways and we were walking on a long strech of road with no residential areas close to. Once we go to our destination (about 5 mins later) we saw a flash like lighting but after that nothing happened like a storm or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really interested. Thanks in advance! :D

WaxRubiks
2006-Mar-24, 09:19 PM
perhaps it was some kind of metal debry from a space vehicle.

I don't know which element glows green when it burns though. Perhaps it was copper.

George
2006-Mar-24, 09:33 PM
Meteors can glow a bright green, though they are not as common as other meteors. Ionized oxygen produces a strong green color. [There are some regions in space that glow so brightly in green, from oxygen, that the naked eye would see it as green (the BA did a cover story article on this in Astronomy called "Alied Skies", IIRC).

Swift, from this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=36850) offers a nice link.

queen.pea
2006-Mar-24, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your reponses. I'm glad I saw it ^-^

trinitree88
2006-Mar-24, 10:31 PM
perhaps it was some kind of metal debry from a space vehicle.

I don't know which element glows green when it burns though. Perhaps it was copper.

Copper is correct. ...also barium. Copper also gives some blue in a flame test.

2006-Mar-24, 11:09 PM
Was it a real parabolic arch with an up and down portion like a tossed ball, or a fairly straight line across the sky that might have appeared to arc?

If it looked more parabolic I might think marine signal flare -- though most are red. How far were you from the water?

George
2006-Mar-25, 12:05 AM
Copper is correct. ...also barium. Copper also gives some blue in a flame test.
Doesn't the ionization emission dominate over the minimal copper content emission (for green anyway?).

I found this. (http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireballs.html)

Any colors you see are probably caused by ionized atmospheric gasses, and not by material in the meteoroid. Green, for example, is produced by ionized oxygen (meteroids do not contain significant amounts of copper.)

It has a great shot of a green fireball (defined by IAU as a metor with mag. > -4; also called a bolide).

queen.pea
2006-Mar-25, 12:55 AM
Well we were walking in the opposite direction of the sea 01101001 and yes it was like throwing a ball. That link you provided George seems to be very similar to what I saw but I still dont know what the flash of light was 5 minutes later.

eburacum45
2006-Mar-25, 12:02 PM
The flash was probably a completely unrelated event, like distant lightning or something man-made on the ground.
Green fireballs are supposedly quite common, the colour caused by oxygen ionisation apparently.

trinitree88
2006-Mar-26, 07:40 PM
Doesn't the ionization emission dominate over the minimal copper content emission (for green anyway?).

I found this. (http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireballs.html)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

It has a great shot of a green fireball (defined by IAU as a metor with mag. > -4; also called a bolide).

In a meteor, GEORGE, I think you're the expert....I was thinking satellite debris. I saw a pretty green meteorite...summer of 81...August, I think...and believe it was either a copper or gold plated/copper cladding of a satellite piece. I was on my way for a night flight lesson at Plymouth Airport, Mass. So, the normal low copper content in a rock would overwhelm the dilute copper emission with ionization emission, but the sat.-debris would burn outside -in...copper layer first. It looked like the coloration from a Bunsen burner flame test...but as I didn't put it on a spectroscope...it could've been oxygen, too. I haven't seen a lot of auroras, but do have a pretty keen eye for discerning greens...at the garden center, I can see a dead geranium out of a thousand in a few seconds as the eye can determine more shades of green than any other part of the visible spectrum. Pete.

George
2006-Mar-26, 08:37 PM
...I was thinking satellite debris. I saw a pretty green meteorite...summer of 81...August, I think...and believe it was either a copper or gold plated/copper cladding of a satellite piece. I was on my way for a night flight lesson at Plymo...
I wondered if you may have meant a satellite. Copper is bound to be common on them. I once saw a Russian satellite fireball slowly trek across the sky of Texas and crash in Canada, IIRC. It was in the daytime and appeared white.

Is there a site that lists terminal rentry dates and locations for satelites?

sunsugar
2006-Apr-01, 04:53 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: Hi I am new and am replying because I am looking for answers too. 2 days ago in broad daylight, I saw a glowing green fireball travel horizontally along the wires of some utility wires for approx. 3 minutes. This ball was so bright that it changed the hue of the area around it so that everything appeared to be shaded green. When it had travelled approx a 1/2 a block along this wire it burned a bright white then winked out. Later upon inspection of the wires there was no heat damage and no smell of burnt ozone in the air. I may not have the right forum but it is driving me batty trying to determine what I saw. Does anyone know of an instance where a squirrel or other object could cause such a reaction on a powerline? I have research some quantum physics theories, color of light theories, etc but nothing has provided a logical answer for what I saw! Help!!! :confused:

Robert Andersson
2006-Apr-02, 12:02 PM
sunsugar's concerns have their own thread here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=40025).