PDA

View Full Version : First Photo from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Fraser
2006-Mar-25, 04:41 AM
SUMMARY: After years of development and months of spaceflight, NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is beginning to return photos of the Red Planet. The spacecraft pointed three of its cameras at the surface of Mars on Thursday, and started snapping pictures. This photo was taken when the spacecraft was at an altitude of 2,489 kilometers (1,547 miles), which is about 9 times as high as its final orbit - the pictures are going to just get better. Even so, the resolution at this altitude is about the same as the best pictures returned by other Mars orbiters.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/first_mro_image.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2006-Mar-25, 01:11 PM
The other orbiters have been taking pictures detailed enough to see individual sand dunes (barely) in the areas where the rovers are. This should be able to take some amazing images.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-25, 03:51 PM
Another facet of this experiment, besides greatly enhanced resolution, is the
three camera shots of the same locations on different orbits. It may reveal thermal changes which will greatly advance our understanding of Martian weather and geology in real time.

Spacemad
2006-Mar-26, 12:30 AM
The other orbiters have been taking pictures detailed enough to see individual sand dunes (barely) in the areas where the rovers are. This should be able to take some amazing images.

It would be amazing if this new orbiter were able to take shots of the Rovers on Mars Surface!!!

Do you think it may be able to image the landing area of the European probe (Beagle2) that crashed a couple of years ago?
No doubt it would be of great help to the engineers of ESA if its remains could be imaged! I believe it has the resolution to be able to do so.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-26, 04:27 AM
Yes, but will we be able to see it too? As long as it pases the national security desk, I don't see why not.

antoniseb
2006-Mar-26, 12:59 PM
Do you think it may be able to image the landing area of the European probe (Beagle2) that crashed a couple of years ago?
No doubt it would be of great help to the engineers of ESA if its remains could be imaged! I believe it has the resolution to be able to do so.

I think it will be imaged, but I don't think the resolution will tell us more than whether it broke apart, or just tipped over.

R.A.F.
2006-Mar-26, 02:51 PM
That is an amazing image...I can't even comprehend what the full res images from a tenth of that distance will look like.

I can't wait...:)

astro-orange
2006-Mar-27, 03:52 AM
This is great science in the making. Enjoy! The resolution will be such that a human on the surface could be imaged (I know no one is there as of yet :-) !)
I congratulate the scientists, technicians, and managers of MRO Project.

michaelwilce
2006-Mar-28, 02:03 AM
I congratulate the scientists, technicians, and managers of MRO Project.

Totally agree.

Shame that all Fraser can do is call all their efforts "Snaps" :-/