PDA

View Full Version : Bioinformatics

Sweety
2006-Mar-26, 11:58 AM
I am studying bioinformatics. What do you all members think about this subject. Is it right stream?

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-26, 01:46 PM
Could you place a link to your particular study? I does sound very interesting.

Sweety
2006-Mar-26, 04:22 PM
Yes the link is http://www.bii.in

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-26, 05:42 PM
Great organization which I pray will honor India with excllent R&D. Huge arena of sciences can be advanced here. It may become more relatable to Astronomy once Mars missions locate bacteria samples from water deposits protected from solar radiation- not an easy accomplishment. A few meteorites may be all the interface available at present. I'd love to hear of other possible applications of bii if you know of any? Periodic updates in General Science section would be my recommendation with Off-topic Babbling as a back-up arena for those who enjoy speculation like I do. Many computer and statistical analysts with engineers of all fields grace this forum. Exo-biologists watch but seldom speak. (Maybe this post will draw them out.)

Sweety
2006-Mar-27, 06:17 AM
The other programs of BII are
biomedical informatics
agriculture information tech.
pharmaco-informatics
drug design and patenting
tele medicine
Did you find detail about bioinformatics. If not I will tell you.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-27, 07:04 AM
It may or may not be a key resource. So much depends on where the research money will go- it's a competitive world out there. I pray that the bird flu does not evolve into anything similar to 1918 flu. If it does, God forbid, BII would be on the cutting edge. (Yes, I looked at 4 pages but not research papers, article applications, or requirements.) Is there something in particular you are asking?

beskeptical
2006-Mar-27, 08:53 AM
Don't listen to Wayne. ;) Bioinformatics is key to the adaptation of computer programs to the vast amount of information that must be managed in genetic sciences. Recently developed lab techniques, namely PCR, opened the flood gates to study DNA and all its mechanisms. Almost everything in the way of new medical discoveries will be coming out of the field of genetic sciences and bioinformatics has a mandatory roll to play in the research.

It sounds like a great field to be going into right now.

captain swoop
2006-Mar-27, 09:16 AM
I know a girl doing Bioinformatics at Manchester UMIST.

Her boyfriend graduated last summer and is still unemployed as are several others. Of the remainder who graduated with him none of them are working in Bioinformatics, three have started training to be science teachers, one has gone to do Oracle DBA training (they used Oracle as part of degree) and one is staying to do a masters.

It's not all its cracked up to be.

Vicky herself is looking at doing Forensics and joining the Police or training to be a Science teacher. She doesn't think she will get a job in the field as it were.

snarkophilus
2006-Mar-27, 09:42 AM
I know an absolutely gorgeous girl who ended up going into bioinformatics... she did her MSc in natural language processing, and is doing bioinformatics for her PhD. It's a really interesting field if you like computers, encompassing all sorts of neat AI, parallel computing, and data mining topics. You can take it in any of a dozen different directions, especially if you're interested in a primarily academic sense (I have no idea what the job market is like, though the skills are highly transferable to other areas of science).

I have no idea what it's like from a biology point of view, but I imagine it is equally exciting in that you're discovering how to interpret the source code of life, figuring out how proteins might fold, and maybe figuring out how to induce gene expression or whatever. There are applications in cancer research, virus research (including, for instance, research into bird flu or AIDS vaccines), advanced imaging for medical use, and a million other things.

Also, all the good looking girls end up going into some branch of biology... I've taken classes for less. ;)

captain swoop
2006-Mar-27, 09:44 AM
Vicky complains that they never get to do any 'wet' biology, just models and simulations.

snarkophilus
2006-Mar-27, 10:00 AM
Vicky complains that they never get to do any 'wet' biology, just models and simulations.

To each his own. As much as I love cutting open rats and pulling out their innards, I much prefer to model them. Still, the occasional butchering of smaller creatures is something I've missed since high school... maybe I'll hunt for some part time/volunteer work in a lab this summer... :think:

Although, I assume that in the context of bioinformatics, wet labs usually involve sticking a bunch of RNA in a microarray and dumping stuff in to see what does what. Again, I'd prefer to model it.

Sweety
2006-Mar-27, 10:58 AM
To each his own. As much as I love cutting open rats and pulling out their innards, I much prefer to model them. Still, the occasional butchering of smaller creatures is something I've missed since high school... maybe I'll hunt for some part time/volunteer work in a lab this summer... :think:

Although, I assume that in the context of bioinformatics, wet labs usually involve sticking a bunch of RNA in a microarray and dumping stuff in to see what does what. Again, I'd prefer to model it.
You know you won't have to go any lab for practicals of bioinformatics. I have this broadband connnection mainly for practicals of bioinformatics. I view/make protein images, DNA structure and do data mining just by sitting on my desktop. I have this PC in my bedroom to learn SQL(which I have learnt). I have installed my PC at the end of last year. I never do anything which is not needed. I am in this section to learn some off topic debates which is needed in GD. Or else I am a book worm.