PDA

View Full Version : What Is Luck

Sweety
2006-Mar-26, 03:56 PM
Do you believe in luck, chance and co-incidence?

WaxRubiks
2006-Mar-26, 04:07 PM
serendipidy, yep.

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-26, 04:54 PM
What's not to believe in? :)

Moose
2006-Mar-26, 04:55 PM
Chance? Yes.

Coincidence? Yes.

Luck as anything other than our perception regarding the results of one or more chance events? No.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-26, 06:07 PM
serendipidy, yep.

Bingo. Coincidence can be very cool.

LurchGS
2006-Mar-26, 08:08 PM
well,chance is a random happening in my book. It MAY not exist, but that's getting way into math I can't begin to grasp.

Coincidence - an artificial construct of observation

Luck - chance occurance that makes a difference to somebody

Swift
2006-Mar-27, 12:06 AM
Chance? Yes.

Coincidence? Yes.

Luck as anything other than our perception regarding the results of one or more chance events? No.
Wow, I was going to say just about the same thing. Was that luck or coincidence? ;)

Fortis
2006-Mar-27, 12:10 AM
Luck is the ability to spot and exploit fortunate events that present themselves. As the old saying goes, you have to make your own luck. :)

Moose
2006-Mar-27, 12:38 AM
Wow, I was going to say just about the same thing. Was that luck or coincidence? ;)

Serendipity. :p

mickal555
2006-Mar-27, 03:31 AM
I don't beleive in luck.

Co-incidence Yes.

paulie jay
2006-Mar-27, 06:54 AM
Do you believe in luck
While some things may happen that we accept as being "lucky" (cripes Bazza, lucky you didn't stick your foot in front of my circular saw after I dropped it), I do not view luck as an actual thing. We may find people who get a greater share of "lucky" incidents, but they are balanced out by those who have "unlucky" incidents. It's all in the interpretation of the incident. Some may view it as lucky, some not.

chance Everytime I roll a dice!

co-incidence Yes coincidences happen. Is there some deeper meaning to them? Not in my opinion. Coincidences are only amazing to those that they happen to. I'll illustrate. I met a guy today who's name was Paul.

Moose
2006-Mar-27, 11:14 AM
Yes coincidences happen. Is there some deeper meaning to them? Not in my opinion. Coincidences are only amazing to those that they happen to. I'll illustrate. I met a guy today who's name was Paul.

What a coincidence! Three of my closest friends are named Paul.

Deeper meaning? Gah! I hope not! :D

mahesh
2006-Mar-27, 12:55 PM
as Einstein said "...chance favors the prepared mind..."

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-27, 01:05 PM
I sense a topic with lots of opportunities for semantic possibilities.

SolusLupus
2006-Mar-27, 02:37 PM
Lady luck and I get along well enough most of the time. When we don't, however, she can get downright ornery.

SeanF
2006-Mar-27, 02:49 PM
"I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." - Garak, Deep Space Nine

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-27, 03:11 PM
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Like when somneone walks into my office and catches me just as I make a 15 foot hook shot (waded up paper into the trash basket). Many would be tempted to say it was a lucky shot. No way - no how!!!

What they don't realize is that I spend countless hours practicing those shots. Point is that all my hours of preparation have made me one of the top Paper-wad-office-basketball players of all time; but they just happen to see one shot and think it has to do with luck.

Gotta go; burning valuable practice time.

gwiz
2006-Mar-27, 04:07 PM
Reminds me of Larry Niven's "Ringworld". The earth is overpopulated and there is a lottery for a licence to have a child. An ET character observes that humans are trying to breed for luck.

Kristophe
2006-Mar-27, 04:38 PM
Serendipity. :p

Oh I wish, I wish that Serendipity (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240890/) did not exist!

SolusLupus
2006-Mar-27, 06:49 PM

Like when somneone walks into my office and catches me just as I make a 15 foot hook shot (waded up paper into the trash basket). Many would be tempted to say it was a lucky shot. No way - no how!!!

What they don't realize is that I spend countless hours practicing those shots. Point is that all my hours of preparation have made me one of the top Paper-wad-office-basketball players of all time; but they just happen to see one shot and think it has to do with luck.

Gotta go; burning valuable practice time.

...You're quite an active person, aren't you?

epenguin
2006-Mar-28, 10:09 AM
I'm the skeptical type, my horoscope says so.

WaxRubiks
2006-Mar-28, 11:49 AM
I'm the skeptical type, my horoscope says so.

you don't buy the right paper, you should buy SkepticToday. edit-if that makes any sense :/

epenguin
2006-Mar-28, 01:11 PM
It doesn't, I must be out of luck

Monique
2006-Mar-28, 05:01 PM
I do not believe in luck.I believe in Karma.
If one live with rhythm of life, life fill wih wonderful moments. :)

jkmccrann
2006-Mar-29, 04:14 AM
Depends how you define Luck. I tend to regard myself as a very lucky person, but that's probably just how I choose to look at things..........

WaxRubiks
2006-Mar-29, 07:57 AM
there's good luck and then there's bad luck.

SolusLupus
2006-Mar-29, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I couldn't buy this at all. Too many innocent people dying for no reason. I mean, there is no way you can convince me that a million people in Rwanda were just "not with the rythm of life". Or maybe the jews in Germany.

We make our own luck in that sense. If I save a child, it wasn't karma; it was my decision to save that child. That thought gives me power. That is why I prefer it.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-29, 12:50 PM

I agree, but I also think everybody creates most of their own rhythm. I call it the cadence by which you live. One of my favorites (a Zimbabwe proverb):

If you can talk, you can sing. If you can walk, you can dance.

Imagine a little musical-notes-smiley-thingy here.

N C More
2006-Mar-29, 01:37 PM
I don't think it's a matter of believing in chance and coincidence, a great many things simply happen in that manner.

It's like a game of poker, you're dealt certain cards and you have to work with what you get. Some hands are pretty good, others aren't. What's under a person's control is how well they can assess the dynamics of the game, how they play their cards. I think those who are good at this are often labeled *lucky*. It's like my Dad used to say, "A person makes a lot of their own luck".

dvb
2006-Mar-29, 01:59 PM
I met a guy today who's name was Paul. Did he change his name? :confused::confused:

"I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." - Garak, Deep Space Nine Cardassians don't believe in luck either.

Do I believe in luck? Sure. Could I walk across the street today, and get hit by a car running a red light? Why not. Of course, it's all a matter of chance, but to me, that's what luck is. Whether fortunate or unfortunate.

Swift
2006-Mar-29, 03:48 PM
there's good luck and then there's bad luck.
And there is the old line, "If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all". ;)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Mar-31, 04:17 PM
Luck is when a positive outcome is not caused by your choices.

Monique
2006-Mar-31, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I couldn't buy this at all. Too many innocent people dying for no reason. I mean, there is no way you can convince me that a million people in Rwanda were just "not with the rythm of life". Or maybe the jews in Germany.

We make our own luck in that sense. If I save a child, it wasn't karma; it was my decision to save that child. That thought gives me power. That is why I prefer it. I do not say person control own destiny. I say Karma is ripples in water. To live with rhythm of life, produce ripples of love and joy. People who do not live so cause harm form many.

SolusLupus
2006-Mar-31, 05:48 PM
I do not say person control own destiny. I say Karma is ripples in water. To live with rhythm of life, produce ripples of love and joy. People who do not live so cause harm form many.

It only seems like you're claiming that if you're good to others, then you cause more good than bad. No need to make it so mystical, it's really just logic.

Lianachan
2006-Apr-01, 12:13 AM
I don't "believe" in coincidences, I just think we notice them more than the countless things that happen every minute that aren't coincidences.

I remember the train ticket I got in Glasgow years ago that was the same ticket number as my phone number, for example, but not the numbers of any of the 1000's of other train tickets I've had.

andyschlei
2006-Apr-01, 01:07 AM

But would it be lucky if the person walking in is your boss? ;)

Monique
2006-Apr-03, 04:09 PM
do not say person control own destiny. I say Karma is ripples in water. To live with rhythm of life, produce ripples of love and joy. People who do not live so cause harm form many.

It only seems like you're claiming that if you're good to others, then you cause more good than bad. No need to make it so mystical, it's really just logic.
I disagree. I much is logical, rational in the world, but not people, not love.

SolusLupus
2006-Apr-03, 05:55 PM
I disagree. I much is logical, rational in the world, but not people, not love.

You seem to not understand what I was saying.

I disagree with you on claiming that all humans are not logical. That's an over-generalization that I cannot agree with. I have met plenty of logical people.

And if you're good to others, then the majority of the time, they'll at least be pleasant to you. Yes, that is logical. Name how many people get by in the world by acting like a butthead to everyone, including their boss? This is a logical conclusion, based on logical evidence. Period.

Monique
2006-Apr-03, 05:56 PM
The rational mind ;)

SolusLupus
2006-Apr-03, 06:02 PM
Yes. I'd stick with the rational instead of the irrational any day.