PDA

View Full Version : i think we need Uranus and Neptue orbiters.

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-27, 12:05 AM
There is so much we dont know about these planets

2006-Mar-27, 12:07 AM
There is so much we dont know about these planets
Where do you plan on getting the dollars to support all these marvelous missions you've recently recommended?

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-27, 12:08 AM
Space tourism my good friend

antoniseb
2006-Mar-27, 12:19 AM
Hi VenusROVER.

I'm curious as to how old you are. I don't want to target my answers at the wrong level.

There has been some discussion of a Neptune Orbiter, but it is not at the level of being a proposed mission at NASA yet. The mission probably wouldn't launch for another twenty years, and not get there for another twenty beyond that.

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-27, 12:24 AM
I'm thirteen and i understand the length of time and engineering not to mention money to do so but it would b pretty awsome. And beleive i know everything you're talking about

antoniseb
2006-Mar-27, 12:34 AM
Hi VR, I will try to respond to your posts knowing you are a smart well educated 13-year-old. Please keep in mind that sometimes people like you (other smart 13-year-olds) think about things that might be possible, but are presently completely impractical. We will sometimes tell you that something is impossible, and give a reason. It will be helpful if you not contradict us unless you know we are wrong.

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-27, 12:38 AM
We sent cassini to orbit Saturn and its moon and ring system. Now why not send a cassini type probe to orbit the Uranus or Neptune system.

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-27, 12:39 AM
How much did cassini cost anyone now

antoniseb
2006-Mar-27, 12:46 AM
How much did cassini cost anyone now

Cassini was 3 billion dollars when it was built, but inflation would have lifted that to about 5 billion now. Plus a new probe similar probe to Uranus would require building new RTGs to power it, and we currently don't have enough plutonium for such a probe. Making more would be pretty expensive. This lack of Plutonium almost cancelled the New Horizons mission, and they launched with an RTG with only about 2/3 the amount they were supposed to have.

A Uranus or Neptune orbiter will take a bigger rocket to launch it. It will take a bigger transmitter to send high-speed data back to Earth. It will take much longer to get there, so the equipment will have to be built better.

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-27, 12:49 AM
I understand but it does not mean the thing is impossible And what the hecks so hard about getting plutonium could we not use a mini nuclear reactor for thrust and plus plutonium to power the thing

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-27, 01:04 AM
I think we need Uranus and Neptune orbiters.
Of course we do. *sigh*

antoniseb
2006-Mar-27, 01:04 AM
what the hecks so hard about getting plutonium could we not use a mini nuclear reactor for thrust and plus plutonium to power the thing

The reactor for thrust is sort of what they were talking about for the JIMO mission, but it got so expensive that they cancelled it.

The plutonium for the RTGs is a special isotope. There is no Plutonium on Earth except what we make ourselves through some very inefficient nuclear reactions, and this isotope must be separated from the other types of Plutonium through some very slow messy processes.

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-27, 01:07 AM
how expensive do u think the mission is that im talking about is
Give me a price tag for a Uranus orbiter and a Neptune orbiter in your words how much do u think they would cost

antoniseb
2006-Mar-27, 01:26 AM
It depends on how the mission is put together, but at a minimum we're talking about five billion dollars each, with ten to fifteen billion each for a more satisfying set of instruments and landers.