PDA

View Full Version : Top Of The World

paulie jay
2006-Mar-27, 07:11 AM
On Saturday just past I had the pleasure of going on a "Bridge Climb" over the Sydney Harbour Bridge! It really was a great experience, not as tough as I thought it would be, and luckily the rain held off long enough so that we didnt have to do it in the wet :)

If anyone here does head down to Sydney for their vacation I can strongly recommend that you give it a go. Here is a pic of me with my girlfriend, about halfway up the arch, with the city skyline in the background.

http://www.thepicplace.com/images/pauliejay/bridge2.jpg

Melusine
2006-Mar-27, 11:54 AM
Cool! More power to you climbing up there! That's a great picture (you look a bit different than your stock photo ?) You look like a pleased-as-punch, cute couple...what a view, but I think I'd take the normal route. :)

Swift
2006-Mar-27, 03:14 PM
Nice pic. It sounds cool, but what exactly is a "Bridge Climb"? I see the gear, did you actually have to climb, like mountain climbing, or is there a walkway?

ToSeek
2006-Mar-27, 04:11 PM
I'd love to do that someday.

paulie jay
2006-Mar-27, 10:22 PM
Well, it's called a "climb" but there's no ropes or rigging, though there are some fairly lengthy "ladder" sections that will wake your legs up! You do have to put on a pretty groovy jumpsuit, and there is a nifty tether system that keeps you hooked to the bridge at all times. Once you get on to the actual arch most of the hard work is done, and getting to the top from this position is like walking up a steep hill.

hat's a great picture (you look a bit different than your stock photo ?) Really? I reckon they both look like me :)

AGN Fuel
2006-Mar-27, 10:44 PM
Good on you, Paulie J! I did it a couple of years ago and I agree, once you get to the arch, it's like walking on a wide path. I found the freakiest part to be the walkway under the main deck heading to the south pylon...there's something that's just not natural about walking on a mesh grating about 40 metres above a roadway....

Very highly recommended to anyone who comes to Sydney though - the views are just outstanding. I did the afternoon/evening climb - the lights of the city as it got dark were just magic!

Melusine
2006-Mar-27, 10:46 PM
Well, it's called a "climb" but there's no ropes or rigging, though there are some fairly lengthy "ladder" sections that will wake your legs up! You do have to put on a pretty groovy jumpsuit, and there is a nifty tether system that keeps you hooked to the bridge at all times. Once you get on to the actual arch most of the hard work is done, and getting to the top from this position is like walking up a steep hill.
So people are climbing around on that arch while cars are cruising over the bridge? I don't think they allow that on any of our bridges (maybe they do, not sure where). I looked at the site for your bridge (http://www.bridgeclimb.com); apparently twilight and dawn are big times to go. Their picture on the site gives a 360 view of Sydney Harbor. Really pretty. It looks very easy for someone to jump--wonder if that's happened.

Really? I reckon they both look like me :)
I think because your hair is so different--not as short on the sides, front hanging down, etc, and you're smiling...you kind of remind me of Greg Kinnear in this photo.