PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime VR of Lunar Lander Insides!

Tuckerfan
2003-Mar-13, 02:59 PM
It's the next best thing to being there! Amazing how primitive the thing looks, reminds me of the insides of a WWII bomber!

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/transport/LEMqtvr2.html

David Hall
2003-Mar-13, 08:10 PM
Neat. It's more spacious than I imagined it to be. I wish it would scroll up or down more. I want to see what's overhead and underneath too.

This really needs to go on the Lunar Conspiracy forum though; that hatch looks plenty big enough to get a space-suited body through. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-13, 11:33 PM
That is a massive hatch. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif I never realized how big it was before. Neat thing though. -Colt

johnwitts
2003-Mar-13, 11:52 PM
Geez, it looks like something I made in my garage! Scary to think they used this tin can on the Moon! I wonder if a modern LM would look so much like the inside of a Lancaster bomber..?

daver
2003-Mar-14, 05:50 PM
On 2003-03-13 18:52, johnwitts wrote:
Geez, it looks like something I made in my garage! Scary to think they used this tin can on the Moon! I wonder if a modern LM would look so much like the inside of a Lancaster bomber..?

Depends, i suppose. The controls had to be big and bulky, so they could be operated while wearing a spacesuit. The instruments had to withstand vacuum. The thing had to be light, and fairly rad hard.

I imagine the displays would be fairly different, but the controls might be more similar than you'd like.