PDA

View Full Version : What will we do when Comet Halley arrives?

Denis12
2006-Mar-27, 10:04 PM
When it passed again? Thinking about a mission to this comet ,and maybe land on it? Manned sounds expensive to me ,but unmanned sounds good. I think about a lander that can survive for a period on the surface of the comet ,and maybe it survive a journey to a very close distant (maybe shorter than Mercury is to the sun) to the sun but i dont really know about the technology that a lander needs then. It is only an idea of me. Or are short or longlived rovers also a good idea to land on the comet? The only thing i can say is ,what is the possibility and the safety of such a mission? Give your opinion and idea. Regards.:)

Nicolas
2006-Mar-27, 10:16 PM
Safety of a manned missions seems extremely low to me :).

It also seems extremely expensive and difficult, so indeed I would go for an unmanned mission.

I don't know whether Halley has significant scientific value over other comets?

antoniseb
2006-Mar-27, 10:39 PM
I don't know whether Halley has significant scientific value over other comets?
That's right. It is newer and more active than the very short period comets we see, and we know when it is coming back. On th other hand we might do better with the same equipment to try and match velocity with a new comet that we detect on its perhaps first inbound trip to the Sun in billions of years.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Mar-28, 12:09 AM
In 2061 I'll be an old geezer. (97)
I'd just be happy to get to see it. :whistle:

antoniseb
2006-Mar-28, 12:23 AM

I'm slightly older than you. I did see it last time. Not as amazing as Hale-Bopp, but good to know I'd seen it. It'll be a miracle if my eyes are able to see well enough to identify it next time.

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-28, 12:47 AM
When it passes they definetly should land something on the thing who knows maybe even a manned mission by then.

Ilya
2006-Mar-28, 12:57 AM

I will be 95. And I did not even get to see it last time! :(

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-28, 12:59 AM
When will it next arrive again

antoniseb
2006-Mar-28, 01:01 AM
See post #4 of this thread.
http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=712445&postcount=4

VenusROVER
2006-Mar-28, 01:07 AM
I'll be 68 when it arrives

Chuck
2006-Mar-28, 05:34 AM
110 for me. I hope I remember.

Nicolas
2006-Mar-28, 08:23 AM
When it passes they definetly should land something on the thing who knows maybe even a manned mission by then.

I would not count on it. You can be happy if manned Mars travel (and staying on mars) is a regular thing by then, and other manned destinations exist (other than the Moon :)).

Even with advanced technology, landing men on Halley will be extremely dangerous. First to get there, then to stay there. EVA's will be very hard to perform. I think the risks do not weigh up to the benefits of manned landings on Halley. The moon was dangerous, Halley seems totally nuts to me.

Landing some probe on it OTOH might be nice, if scientifically Halley is interesting enough (by then!) to do that.

agingjb
2006-Mar-28, 09:48 AM
I would have thought that, were there ever sufficient justification for such a flight, one of the damocloids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damocloids)
would be more suitable.

Argos
2006-Mar-28, 01:35 PM
When it passed again? Thinking about a mission to this comet ,

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away, there was a probe called "Giotto"... (http://www.solarviews.com/cap/comet/halley.htm)

Romanus
2006-Mar-28, 03:51 PM
<<When it passed again? >>

We'll watch it. ;)

ngc3314
2006-Mar-28, 03:59 PM
I will be 95. And I did not even get to see it last time! :(

I did get to see it last time (some pictures here (http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/comets/)), and was already about age 28. Good thing, too - bodes really poorly for my seeing it next apparition. Maybe there is time to get our kids interested.

agingjb
2006-Mar-28, 05:00 PM
A second unmanned probe to Halley would be sensible, if only to see how much it has changed.

It wasn't very bright from the northern hemisphere last time, really needed at least binoculars to see it properly - but, depending on my eyesight when I'm 123...

voyager_3
2006-Mar-28, 05:05 PM
I saw it very faintly in 1986.

I'll be 87 when it next puts in an appearance but at least I got to see Hale-Bopp!

mantiss
2006-Mar-28, 05:30 PM
I'll be 92 on the next pass, officially classified then as "old fart" or having fused with the Nexus or Singularity (thanks Kurzweil and co.). I did not look in 1986, too dim. I remember Hyakutake however, that was a gorgeous Comet.

What is the orbital outlook for 2061 what hemisphere will see the best view and approach. Simply put, how good of a show shall we expect?