PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Equipment

SolusLupus
2006-Mar-29, 12:01 PM
Okay, this is how it is. For English class, our assignment was to write a paper on something that interested us based on the short stories we've been reading. I selected writing about the equipment of civil war soldiers; including artillery, rations, weapons and ammunition, and how they helped and/or hindered the soldiers. The essay is not going to be truly in-depth, as it's main focus is to get us used to quoting sources in MLA format.

I do not need any help with this endeavor; I have my sources picked out, and a wealth of information to sift through. About the only help I need is with actually citing the sources in the "Works Cited" list, but that's no biggie. I can just ask the instructor for help on that, and I really honestly doubt I need much help on it (I just have to get around to doing it).

Nonetheless, I may host the essay and link to it. If I do this, I don't expect a truly critical review; but in the interest of knowledge and academics, would there be anyone here that would like that?

It's a three-page essay. As such, it won't have a ton of information.

If it's a "yes", I'll have the rough draft up by Monday at least. The final essay will be done when it's to be done, which will probably be a week from then.

(I posted in this section under the assumption that history could be considered a form of science)

ryanmercer
2006-Mar-29, 02:13 PM
http://citationmachine.net/ is fairly helpful

Jim
2006-Mar-29, 04:42 PM
Nonetheless, I may host the essay and link to it. If I do this, I don't expect a truly critical review; but in the interest of knowledge and academics, would there be anyone here that would like that?

(emphasis added)

Huh, over 2,500 posts to this BB, and you really think you can avoid "critical review" of anything?

But, yes, post a link. It sounds interesting. And, while history may not be a science, your essay topic sounds like it is a scientific treatment of it.

Gillianren
2006-Mar-29, 07:52 PM
I'd like to read it; the Civil War is one of my many historical interests.

SolusLupus
2006-Mar-29, 08:00 PM
http://citationmachine.net/ is fairly helpful

Thanks. I mentioned that I don't really need any help, but help is always cool anyways.

Alright, guys. I don't promise much, though. I'm not exactly writing a thesis, after all. I'll link to it by the weekend.

Wolverine
2006-Mar-30, 01:38 AM
I posted in this section under the assumption that history could be considered a form of science

Given the subject matter, it would be more appropriate in BABBling than General Science.

Moved.

Cylinder
2006-Mar-30, 05:44 AM
I, too, am a Civil War buff and would be happy to review your work. I go treasure hunting in the outskirts of Poison Springs Battlefield here in Arkansas.

I've found several mini-balls, a badly-deteriorated bayonet and two uniform buttons. My friend goes scouting new land every year that is on the trail of the Red River Campaign in southern Arkansas.

There's a nice swampy area nearby that was the site where a Union line was routed with many Yanks getting caught up in the bog. Those who weren't killed outright ended up dropping everything as they fled. It's a good place to hunt (and therefore top secret to treasure hunters) though it's fairly picked clean. Quite a few rifles, handguns, canteens, cannonball, cannister shot, etc have been recovered there.

Tolls
2006-Mar-30, 11:01 AM
The muskets were generally matchlocks, about a third of the infantry had pikes, and...

Oh...

Not that Civil War...

:)

Gruesome
2006-Mar-30, 11:18 AM
As an American Civil War geek (or is it nerd?) I would be interested in reading it. Link away...