PDA

View Full Version : REALLY BAD AP headline

Rift
2003-Mar-14, 08:46 AM
Mars Odyssey May Pose Radiation Risk (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=624&e=1&cid=624&u=/ap/20030314/ap_on_sc/mars_odyssey)

Just plain worded wrong...

MARS may pose radiation risk to future astronauts, not Odyssey.

GRRRR, I HATE headlines like this, a lot of morons just read the headlines and not the article.

I don't know if Yahoo wrote the Headline, or AP did. But it is just plain bad.

Rift
2003-Mar-14, 11:54 AM
Well, I just noticed that they changed the headline, lol.

It now says "Scientists: Mars Radiation Dangerous".

Well, better late then never, but they are still weenies.

Kaptain K
2003-Mar-14, 07:17 PM
From the article:

A three-year mission would expose astronauts to the radiation limit considered safe by NASA over the career of an astronaut...
Yeah, right. If they were out in it, but they're not! The astronauts will be inside a shielded space craft.

Mr. X
2003-Mar-15, 08:27 PM
weenies... lmao! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

tracer
2003-Mar-16, 12:38 AM
On 2003-03-14 06:54, Rift wrote:
It now says "Scientists: Mars Radiation Dangerous".
Oh, great.

Now people are going to think that standing outdoors at night (on Earth) while Mars is in the sky will be dangerous for them!

beskeptical
2003-Mar-17, 08:57 AM
My usual gripe:

Whenever any new study is published or released, the news media always seem to think a brand new discovery has been made. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

It's worse with 'medical breakthroughs'. Most of the time some research involves a really early step and human trials let alone approved use are years away. But it's a breakthrough. I really think reporters need science process education.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beskeptical on 2003-03-17 03:58 ]</font>

tracer
2003-Mar-18, 02:45 AM
Yeah, but who would bother to read an article titled "Scientists verify 10-year-old hypothesis"?

Rift
2003-Mar-18, 04:01 AM
Another scientist /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

beskeptical
2003-Mar-18, 09:18 AM
How about just some common sense like early research looks promising....