PDA

View Full Version : No Television For A Month

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Mar-30, 01:03 PM
I have always wondered how people would respond if there was no Television for 1 month. Would you agree to be included in such as experiment?

I don't know how to set up those Poll lists. Perhaps a Mod could assist me on that.

(Thanks Mahesh for suggesting I start a thread)

Nicolas
2006-Mar-30, 01:07 PM
I've done more than a month without television on more than one occasion. I have a television now, but I have watched it for 1 hour in the past 3 weeks :)

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Mar-30, 01:15 PM
I've done more than a month without television on more than one occasion. I have a television now, but I have watched it for 1 hour in the past 3 weeks :)

5 years ago I lived without a TV for 6 months. When I did see TV at friends houses I was much more aware of how much violence TV portrays, acted violence and real violence.

Metricyard
2006-Mar-30, 01:16 PM
I'm going on 8 years without the tube. Don't miss it at all. I'd rather be here and on other sites than site in front of a non interactive tele.

TriangleMan
2006-Mar-30, 01:21 PM
Has anyone heard of TV Turnoff Week (http://www.tvturnoff.org/)? It's coming up soon. I plan to take part again (I even started a thread on it last year).

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-30, 01:24 PM
There's a very good read related to this titled The Age of Missing Information. The author records all 150 or so channels 24X7 for about a week from her cable provider - then watches it all.

She contrasts her findings with a week spent hiking in the rural hills of Vermont, or someplace like that. The thrust of her book is that, while TV may connect us to the "rest of the world" in some ways, it disconnects us from some other "rest of the world" and in doing so dramatically changes how we act and who we are.

She doesn't really bash TV terribly, just contrasts the information and connections we get via the media, versus the information and connections we get from actually going out into the world.

Myself, I'm not so kind. I consider TV as a way of connecting to the world without actually experiencing it. To me it is a form of depravation.

Moose
2006-Mar-30, 01:25 PM
I've been without cable for a while, and I'm not planning on getting it in my new house either. I have to ask, though, I assume this includes DVD movies as well?

peter eldergill
2006-Mar-30, 01:35 PM
But then I wouldn't be able to watch hockey...and watch the Leafs lose again...

Pete

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Mar-30, 01:41 PM
Has anyone heard of TV Turnoff Week (http://www.tvturnoff.org/)? It's coming up soon. I plan to take part again (I even started a thread on it last year).

Sorry, wasn't aware of this. Don't want to duplicate stuff if it's avoidable.

mahesh
2006-Mar-30, 01:54 PM
Eric
thanks for this

am i being silly / naive....
like e.g. would / should beer get cheaper...no commercials!?
big food chainstores lowering prices..no commercials?
advertising agencies going to the wall?
murdoch...crying to his bank.....

oh oh it's only for a month!!!...so no tangible commercial effects..
only my baby disappointed ...no cartoon network or nickelodeon or cbeebies

ToSeek
2006-Mar-30, 01:57 PM
Not when the Sci-Fi Channel is showing Doctor Who! ;)

antoniseb
2006-Mar-30, 02:01 PM
I've gone months without TV a few times. At this point I watch about 45 minutes a day, four nights a week. I don't get sucked in the way I used to... but we are ony a week from baseball season starting, so I'll probably be seeing more soon.

pumpkinpie
2006-Mar-30, 02:03 PM
I'd only do it after the current tv season is over. I just have to see how 24 and Lost finish up! After that it really wouldn't be too difficult. I don't have cable, so the myriad channels don't tempt me. And I can, and do, get my news from NPR. As long as I could still watch dvds, and not have to go running from the room when I'm at another person's house who turns the tv on, I'd be willing to try it come June! Especially when I can listen to baseball games in the evening. I can have them on and read or clean or do other productive things.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Mar-30, 02:17 PM
I see it possible in two ways - Mahesh/everyone
We take all the TV's away - or the TV companies stop transmitting for a month.

TriangleMan
2006-Mar-30, 03:00 PM
Sorry, wasn't aware of this. Don't want to duplicate stuff if it's avoidable.
No need to apologize, I was just pointing out that there are initiatives out there to try to get the public educated about watching too much TV.

Here's the thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=17753) from last year.

Swift
2006-Mar-30, 03:06 PM
I could easily imagine no TV for a month. I suspect I average less than 10 hours a week, and most of that is watching the news in the morning while I eat breakfast. It probably goes up a little in baseball season.

But how about this for a scary thought.... No Internet for a MONTH! No BAUT for a Month! :eek:

mahesh
2006-Mar-30, 03:20 PM
But how about this for a scary thought.... No Internet for a MONTH! No BAUT for a Month! :eek:

eeeek!

so help me... :wall: :wall: :wall:

Moose
2006-Mar-30, 03:25 PM

NoooooOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!

[korean double-dub vader] DO NOT WANT!!!! [/kddv]

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Mar-30, 03:38 PM
I could easily imagine no TV for a month. I suspect I average less than 10 hours a week, and most of that is watching the news in the morning while I eat breakfast. It probably goes up a little in baseball season.

Thats just HORROR.

Monique
2006-Mar-30, 04:52 PM
My friend Wanderer does not have TV for over two year. He read many books and share time with friends. :)

When I leave BAUT, I come back several time to peek. Is difficult not to read, post at BAUT!! :eek:

Andromeda321
2006-Mar-30, 04:55 PM
When I was in middle school I decided to see if I could last a week without TV, then simply never went back to regularly watching it (and nowadays most of the time I do it's to prove that I have enough time to waste that I can!). It's worth noting that I tried the same experiment with a computer, though, and it didn't work very well!

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Mar-30, 04:56 PM
TV? Beh. I haven't even turned one on since I was home for reading week in February. It was a mistake.

ToSeek
2006-Mar-30, 05:58 PM
As my previous post implied, I go along with those who say they could do without television quite easily when the shows they watch aren't airing new episodes.

Wolverine
2006-Mar-30, 06:32 PM
No TV for a month? No problem. There's hardly anything worth watching.

No PC for a month? Forget it! ;)

Gillianren
2006-Mar-30, 07:34 PM
I have to admit, about 90% of the reason I watch TV has to do with my silence issues. TV makes noise quite satisfactorily.

Then again, there are certain individual shows that I do watch on their own merits. Discovery has a new show called Everything You Need to Know that I'm quite into, and of course, there's MythBusters--but if it's a repeat, I generally don't watch. And that's the thing, isn't it? Repeats are very easy to skip, and since there's a fairly limited number of shows that interest me, I might as well just leave the TV off most of the time.

peteshimmon
2006-Mar-30, 07:43 PM
Its about 50 years since, as an infant, I got
to enjoy the first television in the family.
It was the cartoons that attracted me not all
those grown ups yapping. Had to wait up till
ten before that funny marching one with the
upside down notice (Ey up!). Then afterwards
something with fireworks..Durr Dunnydooners.
But eyes were drooping by then. Caught up
with them over the past 25 years through
reruns. I think the Bilko series was just to
get the Chimp in the Army one in, it creased
me up. Of course I now see it was all social
manipulation through this new media, Bilko
was for recruiting and Gleason helped show
life was not bad in apartments with a view of
brick walls:)

WHarris
2006-Mar-30, 08:03 PM
Not when the Sci-Fi Channel is showing Doctor Who! ;)

And certainly not when baseball season is about to start!

soylentgreen
2006-Mar-30, 08:11 PM
One month...no tv...no problem; One month...no computer...mmmm, very tough but not impossible; One month...no books...I'll take the hemlock, thank you!

As my previous post implied, I go along with those who say they could do without television quite easily when the shows they watch aren't airing new episodes.

Honesty. Quite refreshing. :)

Of course I now see it was all social
manipulation through this new media, Bilko
was for recruiting and Gleason helped show
life was not bad in apartments with a view of
brick walls:)

I would hardly consider THE HONEYMOONERS social manipulation. Now DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, GREYS ANATOMY, CSI, etc... with tie-in musical plugs, tie-in guests with musical plugs, tie-in musical guests with auto plugs, etc...THAT'S manipulation!

Though I confess I've never really allowed myself to be exposed to the grossly over-estrogened strumpets on Wisteria Lane. I would rather be forced to deal with 100 hours of GILMORE GIRLS administered via the Ludovico Technique! :sick:

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-30, 08:39 PM
I have to admit, about 90% of the reason I watch TV has to do with my silence issues. TV makes noise quite satisfactorily.

Then again, there are certain individual shows that I do watch on their own merits. Discovery has a new show called Everything You Need to Know that I'm quite into, and of course, there's MythBusters--but if it's a repeat, I generally don't watch. And that's the thing, isn't it? Repeats are very easy to skip, and since there's a fairly limited number of shows that interest me, I might as well just leave the TV off most of the time.

What are your silence issues? You like background noise? Lack of it is a problem?

OptimusShr
2006-Mar-30, 09:59 PM
If nothing I watch was going to be new for a month. Sure I could go without watching TV.

Internet? Can't live without it.

mike alexander
2006-Mar-31, 01:07 AM
I respectfully disagree with peteshimmon about the Honeymooners (although I noticed the possibly ironic smiley there). It's one of the saddest programs ever shown on television.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Mar-31, 09:12 AM
I only watch motorsports and documentaries on TV. I think home computing has taken over from TV addiction. Having said that I do all my posting and emailing during work hours. I don't touch the computer when I am at home.

Gillianren
2006-Mar-31, 07:49 PM
What are your silence issues? You like background noise? Lack of it is a problem?

Lack of background noise is a big problem. I get twitchy; if the silence lasts too long, I'm getting near panic attack territory. (Yay, mental illness!)

soylentgreen
2006-Mar-31, 08:23 PM
Lack of background noise is a big problem. I get twitchy; if the silence lasts too long, I'm getting near panic attack territory. (Yay, mental illness!)
Gillian, seriously check into things like Sleep Mate (http://www.naturestapestry.com/sleepmate.html).

I have one by my bed. I too need sound for reading, sleeping, etc.

The sleepmates are great because they're actually fans, not sampled sound. I had a natural sound device and after a little while my mind could zero in on the looping point in the sample and the rythm of the soundclip would become very irritating.

Interestingly enough, I got my first exposure to these incredible devices years ago. My girlfriend at the time would see her psychologist once a week and he had one in the waiting room. Needless to say, I very rarely made it through the hour without falling asleep in my chair. ;)

A'a
2006-Mar-31, 09:19 PM
I find that those who say they can live without TV are the ones already living without TV.

Ok, that sounded too obvious. Basically I think you're better off not knowing what you're missing. I once went without TV for about a year, and after the first week or two, it was really easy (does watching sports at bars count). It'd be really tough now that I'm locked into the few shows I watch though.

Moose
2006-Mar-31, 10:55 PM
Ok, that sounded too obvious. Basically I think you're better off not knowing what you're missing.

Yeah, sort of. The correction is better. Not good, but better.

Just a correction, though: I know _exactly_ what I'm missing (more or less). I chose to turf my cable and have no desire whatsoever to get it back. What, pay 60/month for the sort of drek they're putting out now? Enterprise and Firefly were the last shows produced I feel were worth watching. I'm similarly uninterested in the junk Hollywood's been putting out lately (with a very few notable exceptions.)

DVD rocks.

paulie jay
2006-Mar-31, 11:05 PM
My big weakness is sport. Aside from sport there is almost nothing that I feel that I have to watch, aside from Mythbusters :)

Peter Wilson
2006-Mar-31, 11:12 PM
Has anyone heard of TV Turnoff Week (http://www.tvturnoff.org/)? It's coming up soon.
When? If its before baseball season, I'll have to turn mine on so I can participate.

Gillianren
2006-Apr-01, 04:27 AM
Gillian, seriously check into things like Sleep Mate (http://www.naturestapestry.com/sleepmate.html).

I have one by my bed. I too need sound for reading, sleeping, etc.

The sleepmates are great because they're actually fans, not sampled sound. I had a natural sound device and after a little while my mind could zero in on the looping point in the sample and the rythm of the soundclip would become very irritating.

Interestingly enough, I got my first exposure to these incredible devices years ago. My girlfriend at the time would see her psychologist once a week and he had one in the waiting room. Needless to say, I very rarely made it through the hour without falling asleep in my chair. ;)

I have my computer by my bed. I keep WinAmp playing on repeat/shuffle all night, and if I wake up in the night, I turn on my speakers. I do it that way because my boyfriend prefers to fall asleep to audio books, and since it's all sound to me, that's fine. I can't afford $50 for white noise any time soon.

ocasey3
2006-Apr-01, 08:17 AM
I respectfully disagree with peteshimmon about the Honeymooners (although I noticed the possibly ironic smiley there). It's one of the saddest programs ever shown on television.

Mike, I was wondering if you might explain your thoughts on this. It has been a very long time since I have watched any episodes. Thanks.

peteshimmon
2006-Apr-01, 09:36 AM
Well I suppose two people *****ing most of the
time is not anyones idea of a honeymoon! But
I did smile at some shows about 10 years ago.
Like the time Gleason gets home and finds a
neighbour teaching Latin dancing. He gives an
embarrassed smile and goes to the kitchen
before he thinks "what the H*ll"! Its eerie
we are talking about something from 50 years
go.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Apr-01, 03:02 PM
I have my computer by my bed. I keep WinAmp playing on repeat/shuffle all night, and if I wake up in the night, I turn on my speakers. I do it that way because my boyfriend prefers to fall asleep to audio books, and since it's all sound to me, that's fine. I can't afford $50 for white noise any time soon.
Then you'd feel quite confortable at my place, 4-6 computers on at all time some of them not very silent.

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Apr-02, 07:58 AM
Interesting thread.

I rarely watch TV at home. I work at a TV station and rarely bother to watch TV when I'm not working.

Unless it's Dr.Who. That's the only TV series I make a point of making time to watch.

Melusine
2006-Apr-02, 07:02 PM
There's a very good read related to this titled The Age of Missing Information. The author records all 150 or so channels 24X7 for about a week from her cable provider - then watches it all.

She contrasts her findings with a week spent hiking in the rural hills of Vermont, or someplace like that. The thrust of her book is that, while TV may connect us to the "rest of the world" in some ways, it disconnects us from some other "rest of the world" and in doing so dramatically changes how we act and who we are.

She doesn't really bash TV terribly, just contrasts the information and connections we get via the media, versus the information and connections we get from actually going out into the world.

Myself, I'm not so kind. I consider TV as a way of connecting to the world without actually experiencing it. To me it is a form of depravation.

I hate to do this to you Farmer, but unless there's another book with the same title, I have "The Age of Missing Information," and it's by Bill McKibben. He watched 93 channels in Fairfax, Virginia and then afterwards went for 24 hours on top of the Adirondacks and listened to the birds, bugs, et al. It's an interesting book. NOW, I have over 100 channels, and once I just channel-surfed for hours and it's pretty pathetic...especially all the infomercials.

I can go without TV: an island retreat my family has been a part of for years has no electricity, so no blow-dryers and other noise...just boat-motors and waves, seagulls and children laughing (mostly). We did always have radios and music, though. Once an uncle brought one of those small battery-charged TVs to watch the Wimbledon finals and it annoyed everyone. Time seems to move slower when there's no TV dividing the days into half-hour or hour time slots. I can deal without a TV as long as it's not near me, but I'm like Gillianren in that often I have it on as background noise, especially while I'm on the PC.

When I go on vacation access to a PC is usually unavailable or so slow it drives me nuts. Last vacation I had no problem not looking at the PC for a week, but then I start to feel like I'm missing out on something. Someone got on my case last night for spending too much time online--"You have to interact with people!" As if I don't know that....:rolleyes: I interact with lots of people all week long, and by Friday most people annoy me. :razz:

The Mangler
2006-Apr-03, 02:58 AM
I went for about two years without TV and about six without computer/internet not long ago. After about a week you get used to it. I don't see any reason why I couldn't do it again. I know I would save a bunch of money. I buy too much crap off of the internet...

EvilBob
2006-Apr-03, 09:26 AM
There was an article on this in our weekend paper a couple of weeks ago - the writer and her husband spent a month without TV to see what it would be like. She said after a week she was fantasizing about watching it, and caught some c-grade cop show at an airport lounge and thought it was the best show ever made. Towards the end of the article, her comment was 'We've decided to only watch TV if there's something we really want to watch on.'

I kept staring at that comment in disbelief - do people really plonk themselves down in front of it and watch whatever sludge comes pouring out? I guess they must, but I couldn't stand it. I do have friends who have the TV on all the time, with the sound down. Maybe it makes them feel like they're in the pub...

I'll watch Mythbusters (although here in Aus on Free-to-air at them moment it's all lame clip-show 'specials' which is becoming really irritating) and 'Spicks and Specks (http://www.abc.net.au/tv/spicksandspecks/)', but that's about it. The only entertainment I couldn't do without for a month would be my books.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Apr-03, 12:09 PM
I hate to do this to you Farmer, but unless there's another book with the same title, I have "The Age of Missing Information," and it's by Bill McKibben. He watched 93 channels in Fairfax, Virginia and then afterwards went for 24 hours on top of the Adirondacks and listened to the birds, bugs, et al. It's an interesting book.

Hate to do what?

That's the one. I did get the number of channels wrong, been a long time since I read it.

Melusine
2006-Apr-03, 03:21 PM
Hate to do what?

That's the one. I did get the number of channels wrong, been a long time since I read it.
Hate correcting someone...it seems when I do, I don't manage the right tone, despite smilies. You had everything wrong except the basic idea, which in this case, is really the point. ;)

I tend to watch more TV in the winter, and much less in the summer. But lately I've been avoiding the political pundit shows because I get too incensed over them, lol, so I haven't watched much...been online more. I watch the Science Channel (especially on Tuesdays) and special programs and/or movies. I am totally clueless about many shows on ABC, CBS and NBC...they talk about them at work and I have no idea since I watch the upper channels (except for PBS). I dislike any of those reality/survivor shows. I watch the Comedy Channel often, but I haven't for over a week. I had CNN on as background during the eclipse, but their news-loops drive me nuts, so it really is background noise (plus they made such dumb comments).

EvilBob made a good comment about those people: passively watching TV when one doesn't even care for the program! That's really treating the TV like an umbilical cord if you're not even that enthused with what you're watching.

Peter Wilson
2006-Apr-03, 05:52 PM
Do people really plonk themselves down in front of it and watch whatever sludge comes pouring out?
I dunno, but many years ago, my wife and I accepted a dinner invitation from some new acquaintances. When we arrived, the hostesss momentarily stopped what she was doing in the kitchen, invited us in to sit down, then turned on the TV...and loud. The message seemed to be, "Since you're our guests, we don't want you to be bored..." Actually, I felt kinda awkward. We hadn't come over to be entertained by their TV (we had one at home). Conversation over the blaring TV was difficult, at best. I couldn't help but wonder, What would Martha Stewert think of this kind of "entertaining"?

HenrikOlsen
2006-Apr-03, 05:56 PM
Apart from not missing tv a lot, when I do see it, I tend to break demographics, with actually liking Ghilmore Girl as one of my major weirdnessess.
I got to Firefly, not because it was sci-fi, bur because it was Whedon, and I knew him as solid gold from Buffy and Angel, another demographics breaker.
When will the studios realise that there exists a producer out there who have made every season of every series he's ever be made on time and under budget.

ToSeek
2006-Apr-03, 06:04 PM
EvilBob made a good comment about those people: passively watching TV when one doesn't even care for the program! That's really treating the TV like an umbilical cord if you're not even that enthused with what you're watching.

Yes. Network folks use the phrase "appointment television" for programs that people actually decide ahead of time to sit down and watch. But virtually all of my television viewing is appointment television.

Jakenorrish
2006-Apr-04, 11:08 AM
I could've gone a year without TV until recently as we only get the 5 TV channels in the UK. Thing is I got a thing called a 'freeview box' which gives you access to a load of digital free to air stations, now I'm addicted to the History channel and the Daily show with John Stewart. Not sure I could go a month without that!

pumpkinpie
2006-Apr-04, 12:39 PM
I could've gone a year without TV until recently as we only get the 5 TV channels in the UK. Thing is I got a thing called a 'freeview box' which gives you access to a load of digital free to air stations, now I'm addicted to the History channel and the Daily show with John Stewart. Not sure I could go a month without that!
You get those free? I want to hear more about this freeview box. :D