I turned the oven off after less than two seconds and tried
restarting it, but it makes the same noise. I'm hoping that by
stopping it quickly, I've avoided any additional damage to the
magnetron. But that also means I don't know whether it is
putting out microwaves.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

WaxRubiks
2006-Mar-30, 08:16 PM
2 of the wheels on my turntable have broken and it makes a noise as it turns round.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-30, 08:32 PM
If it has a turntable, it' probably that or part of it's drive mechanism. Take the platter out and try again. If there are other pieces under it, take them out and try again. See how far you can get by eliminating unnecessary parts to see if the noise stops.

If you decide the oven is shot and are going to replace it, you can have some fun by putting 4 or 5 CDs on the platter and turning it on. The effects are very cool. Looks like when a shield device deflects weapons fire on Star Trek. I've got an old oven I've done this with several times (maybe for a total of about 45 seconds) and it does not seem to have harmed it - yet.

Jeff Root
2006-Mar-30, 10:25 PM
The noise isn't mechanical in origin-- I can just tell.
It must be either the magnetron or the power supply.
I've opened it to replace a fuse. I'll open it again to diagnose
and/or fix it, but it is too much work for me to go in with almost
no idea what the problem is. It might be trivial to fix, or it might
be time for a new oven. It still looks fine. The turntable goes
round and the light comes on. Oooh-- I tried it again and it
sounds horrible! It reminds me a bit of the building's fire alarm.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Nowhere Man
2006-Mar-30, 10:55 PM
If you're going to nuke some CDs, my advice is to take the oven outside first, or do it in Someone Else's House. The resulting smell is absolutely incredible. And not in a good way.

Fred

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-31, 01:46 PM
If you're going to nuke some CDs, my advice is to take the oven outside first, or do it in Someone Else's House. The resulting smell is absolutely incredible. And not in a good way.

Fred

There is that, and the possibility of a fire. Best I issue the disclaimer heh?

Farmerjumperdon Appliance Consulting Inc, dba Fun with Fire, explicitly and implicitly will dodge all culpability and responsibility for results of engaging in experiments with microwaves, magnifying glasses, toaster ovens, fireworks, model rockets, piles of a mixture containing 70% magnesium - 20% sulfur - 10% carbon, shotguns aimed at old televisions, etc, etc, and so on and so forth, ad nauseum, ipso colossum.

Do not try these things at home - go to a friend's house. Better yet, do it in a place where everyone already dislikes you.

weatherc
2006-Mar-31, 04:26 PM

FredIf you're going to microwave CDs for any length of time, you're right. However, I "erase" data CDs and DVDs that I've burned before throwing them away by putting them in the microwave for two seconds. This is long enough to obliterate the CD and create a cool light show, but short enough to keep the burning plastic smell to a minimum.

Lianachan
2006-Mar-31, 04:45 PM
Lit candles are also good. Apparently. I've never been allowed to try, not even when we had an ancient microwave to get rid of. Pah!

enginelessjohn
2006-Mar-31, 04:55 PM
On a slightly more serious note, is there any smells coming from the electrical side of the microwave? Electrical stuff on its way out tends to give off an acrid smell and is usually the engineer's first sign to reach for the circuit breakers. If it isn't smelling, I'd keep running it, and looking at the turntable.

I wouldn't particularly recommend trying to repair a microwace either. For one the shielding will never be as good as it was originally and for seconds they are dirt cheap nowadays anyway. So BURN STUFF!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers
John

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-31, 05:04 PM
Lit candles are also good. Apparently. I've never been allowed to try, not even when we had an ancient microwave to get rid of. Pah!

A lit candle in a microwave? Anyone try this?

Lianachan
2006-Mar-31, 05:12 PM
A lit candle in a microwave? Anyone try this?
Hmmm..... this guy has (http://www.everist.org/special/mw_oven/), and it sounds like I didn't miss much. What a relief!

farmerjumperdon
2006-Mar-31, 05:52 PM
I kinda like having a working oven in the barn, but maybe I'll try a couple of the milder experiments.

WaxRubiks
2006-Apr-02, 02:05 PM
great! now my microwave is playing up. Each time I switch it on the tripswitch goes. Strange.

Jeff Root
2006-Apr-19, 01:54 AM
I haven't received any really useful advice yet, but maybe...

Based on the sound, I suspect the transformer. I'd like to
unplug the magnetron, plug the oven back in, and find out if
the noise still occurs when I turn it on. Can I do that without
connecting anything in place of the magnetron? One wire from
the magnetron goes to the transformer, the other goes to a big
capacitor.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Maksutov
2006-Apr-19, 07:14 AM
There is that, and the possibility of a fire. Best I issue the disclaimer heh?

Farmerjumperdon Appliance Consulting Inc, dba Fun with Fire, explicitly and implicitly will dodge all culpability and responsibility for results of engaging in experiments with microwaves, magnifying glasses, toaster ovens, fireworks, model rockets, piles of a mixture containing 70% magnesium - 20% sulfur - 10% carbon, shotguns aimed at old televisions, etc, etc, and so on and so forth, ad nauseum, ipso colossum.Too late, your culpability has already been established.

Do not try these things at home - go to a friend's house. Better yet, do it in a place where everyone already dislikes you.Like where stunt professionals burn the microwave popcorn that atomizes the entire office? http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif