PDA

View Full Version : Might collaboration w/ ESA help save crucial space science missions?

folkhemmet
2006-Apr-01, 11:39 AM
Funding for space science is being dramatically reduced into the foreseeable future. A major reason for these cuts is the ISS. The International Space Station is a failure. It is incredibly expensive (>$70B), does no research,
and excites no one. I think it should be discontinued immediately.

Hopefully some of these cuts in space science will be reversed when congress has a chance to look over the budget. As citizens there is not much we can do, but universetoday members should create an online petition or something or compose a joint letter to congress to protest the cuts.

My question is: do you think international collaboration with ESA will help save some of the space science missions since the cost would be spread out? For example, ESA has its own version of the terrestrial planet finder called Darwin.

Launch window
2006-Apr-01, 10:27 PM
My question is: do you think international collaboration with ESA will help save some of the space science missions since the cost would be spread out? For example, ESA has its own version of the terrestrial planet finder called Darwin.

It can be a great idea but will only help with some issues, the United States already does joint missions, Russia launching American astronauts on Soyuz and ESA helping explore Saturn with Cassini-Huygens. But sometimes international missions become problematic such as the ISS trouble, there is also the issue of national pride. If the USA needs Russia, China or Europe to return to the Moon and Mars it would be very embarrassing for NASA.

ToSeek
2006-Apr-03, 03:16 PM
Moved from Universe Today Website Feedback to Space Exploration.

Nicolas
2006-Apr-03, 03:37 PM
The International Space Station is a failure. It is incredibly expensive (>$70B), does no research,
and excites no one.

for the record, I commented on this exact same quote of yours in the ISS thread. Having an opinion and making it clear is fine, but staying factually correct helps your case.

boppa
2006-Apr-04, 04:30 PM
folkhemmet(imho an equally valid view-butchered quote by boppa)Funding for space science is being dramatically reduced into the foreseeable future. A major reason for these cuts is the space shuttle. The space shuttle is a failure. It is incredibly expensive (>$70B), does no research,
and excites no one. I think it should be discontinued immediately.

Hopefully some of these cuts in space science will be reversed when congress has a chance to look over the budget. As citizens there is not much we can do, but universetoday members should create an online petition or something or compose a joint letter to congress to protest the cuts.

this is the second thread on exactly the same subjectm ive seen tonight...

(ive butchered the original quote-imho its equally wrong in my version as the original..)

im assuming that folkhemmet either has an axe to grind or is unaware of the fact that nasa-or indeed the usa- doesnt `own' space and is by some peoples opinion becoming increasingly irrelevant to the space effort at all