PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Bad Astronomy

PhantomWolf
2006-Apr-01, 01:30 PM
For those that didn't know, The Chronicles of Riddick is the sequel to Pitch Black, and the astronomy in it hasn't got any better.

Although there are probably many many more, I'm just going to deal with two. First off we have the situation where an advance civilisation can't tell the difference between a comet and a fleet of space craft. However the second is the worst and is quite a big part of the film.

The scenes are set on a prison planet which is extremely close to the sun. They describe it as being -200 degrees in the night and 700 degrees in the day (I'm assuming F since it's American.)

Well okay, sounds reasonable I suppose, but then comes the excitement. Dawn brings with it a firestorm of flames and moten rock leaping from the ground. It's into this hell, well the night and trying to stay ahead of this hell, that the hero and his friends made a desperate run. Dressed in short sleeves they head across the surface (remember it's only -200 out there) without any need for breathing apparatus or warm clothing. So, not only are the sun's rays so powerful that they can set fire to the air and melt rocks within a few minutes of dawn, but the planet somehow has a breathable atmosphere that remains so, refusing to change out of gaseous state at even at -200.

Well I suppose after Pitch Black I should have know better.

edited to fix spelling for Gillianren and ToSeek. ;P

Gillianren
2006-Apr-02, 08:42 PM
Um, is it spelled "Cronicals"? 'Cause if so, that's Bad English, right there.

Roy Batty
2006-Apr-02, 09:10 PM
I didn't mind the 1st film, it was fun in a non cerebral kind of way, but my opinion of the 2nd? well, however you spell it, I'd just stop at 'chronic' ;)

ToSeek
2006-Apr-03, 02:05 AM
I've edited the thread title so that Gillian and I will no longer start twitching when we see it.

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-03, 02:11 AM
Dispite the bad Astronomy, I thought the movie was great.

PhantomWolf
2006-Apr-03, 02:23 AM
I've edited the thread title so that Gillian and I will no longer start twitching when we see it.

I've never claimed to be able to spell. ;) Besides, it got you in here. ;)

peter eldergill
2006-Apr-03, 03:21 PM
I really enjoyed Pitch Black, but Chronicles...? Uggh. Two hours of my life I'll never get back.

I suppose I should go teach my class now...(grade 9 math)

Pete

ToSeek
2006-Apr-03, 06:21 PM

I've never claimed to be able to spell. ;) Besides, it got you in here. ;)

I'm everywhere. I just don't always say so. :D

Gillianren
2006-Apr-03, 06:36 PM
Thanks, ToSeek!