PDA

View Full Version : Missed opportunity for a line

Ilya
2006-Apr-03, 06:00 PM
Ever thought that some scene in a movie would be much better with a different line?

REESE: I have been assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination. The Terminator is after you.

SARAH: This is a mistake. I haven't done anything.

REESE: But you will. It is very important that you live.

SARAH: Why?

I always thought at that point, rather than trying to explain to Sarah what she is supposed to do in the future, Reese would say something like "Let me put it this way. It is important to you, isn't it?"

Donnie B.
2006-Apr-03, 11:52 PM
Ever thought that some scene in a movie would be much better with a different line?

I always thought at that point, rather than trying to explain to Sarah what she is supposed to do in the future, Reese would say something like "Let me put it this way. It is important to you, isn't it?"
"I am your father, Luke."

".............. Shut UP!"

GDwarf
2006-Apr-04, 12:12 AM

Tsk tsk tsk
"No, I am your father" :P

mid
2006-Apr-05, 03:15 PM
"Even right now?"

Bruce Willis turns The Sixth Sense into a 30 minute movie.

ggremlin
2006-Apr-05, 03:30 PM
Sorry, off topic, but....

Vader: takes off helmet, James Earl Jones face shows. "Luke, I'm your father!"
Luke: "Uh, I don't think so."

Maksutov
2006-Apr-05, 03:31 PM
A dramatic series of close-ups of a gothic manor. The silhouette of a bed-ridden man is seen against an upstairs window. Suddenly the lights go out. Close up of the man's lips:

Rosebud, you were my sled when I was a boy. How I wasted my life on material pursuits trying to buy happiness, when I should have realized what was really important was there all along... [dies]

Roll credits...

Moose
2006-Apr-05, 03:34 PM
Mid: *lol* Yeah, that'd brought the film to a screeching grinding halt, wouldn't it? *snicker*

"You are paaart of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. Shoot her!"

and

"Restore balance to the Force, he might, but occured you has it not that the balance prophesized might conform not to your expectations? Trained, he will not be, Qui-Gon. Better for the order, this is. To your room, you go. Slam the door, you will not, or grounded you will remain."

Maksutov
2006-Apr-05, 03:47 PM
Patricia Neil as Helen Benson:

Gort! Klaatu barada, uh, uh, (to herself) oh darn, what did Mr. Klaatu Carpenter say the last part was? I can't remember. Well, I'll give it my best shot, (shouts) Gort! Klaatu barrada knickers!Gort then procedes to rescue Klaatu and incinerate the Earth to a burned-out cinder.

Staiduk
2006-Apr-05, 06:02 PM
"Restore balance to the Force, he might, but occured you has it not that the balance prophesized might conform not to your expectations? Trained, he will not be, Qui-Gon. Better for the order, this is. To your room, you go. Slam the door, you will not, or grounded you will remain."
ROFL - the funny thing is you can imagine the cranky little booger saying that, couldn't you? :D

How about this one:
Scene: A blasted, cracked landscape; the vast carnage of a battle on all sides.

Elrond (Narration): Isildur took the Ring. I was there the day the strength of men failed.
Elrond: Isildur hurry! Follow me!

Scene: Inside Mount Doom. The volcano's lava pit seethed below a narrow stone outcrop.

Elrond (Narration): I led Isildur into the heart of Mount Doom, where the Ring was forged, the one place it could be destroyed.
Elrond: Cast it into the fire! Destroy it!
Isildur: No.
Elrond: Isildur!!!

Isildur turns to leave. We see a closeup of Elrond's proud face, twisted with shock and fury.

Elrond (Narration): What could be done Gandalf? Could I let Sauron live? The decision was mine alone!

In one swift move, Elrond leaps forward, picks up Isildur and tosses him over the edge into the lava. Dusting off his hands he casually saunters out of the cave.

Isildur: You eeeeeeeeelvish baaaaastaaarrrr...... Ow! Owie! Owie! Hothothot....

Isildur sinks from sight.

Fade to: Imladris. Elrond is sipping tea with Gandalf.

Gandalf: You did well, my old friend. He was a miserable twit anyway.
Elrond: Yes. It does make a sequel a bit of a moot point though.

Charly
2006-Apr-05, 09:29 PM

ROTJ - after Luke beats Vader....

"Whos ya Daddy now?"

Matherly
2006-Apr-05, 10:57 PM
The bizzare little stop motion animation show "Robot Chicken" did a 'Movie Twists' skit. The Strikes Back bit went something like this:

Darth Vader: No, I am your father.

Luke: Nooooooo. That's Impossible!

Darth Vader: And Leah is your sister

Luke: Nooooooo. That's... that's improbible.

Darth Vader: And C-3PO? I built him when I was a boy

Luke: That's highly unlikely

Dark Vader: And the Emipre will be defeated by Ewoks

Luke: Ummmmmmm

Darth Vader: And the Force? It's just bacteria in you blood called Midiclorians

Luke: Look, if you aren't going to take this seriously I'm gonna leave

Swift
2006-Apr-06, 04:02 AM
:D
A dramatic series of close-ups of a gothic manor. The silhouette of a bed-ridden man is seen against an upstairs window. Suddenly the lights go out. Close up of the man's lips:

Rosebud, you were my sled when I was a boy. How I wasted my life on material pursuits trying to buy happiness, when I should have realized what was really important was there all along... [dies]

Roll credits...
I hate to derail such a serious discussion :eh: , but that reminds me of my favorite Peanuts cartoon. Linus is watching TV and Lucy comes in. She asks him what is he watching. He says, "Citizen Kane, I've never seen it before". She replies, "Oh, I've seen that lots of times..... Rosebud is the sled". "Arrrggghhhh!!!!" :D

Staiduk
2006-Apr-06, 08:15 AM
I hate to derail such a serious discussion :eh: , but that reminds me of my favorite Peanuts cartoon. Linus is watching TV and Lucy comes in. She asks him what is he watching. He says, "Citizen Kane, I've never seen it before". She replies, "Oh, I've seen that lots of times..... Rosebud is the sled". "Arrrggghhhh!!!!" :D

"Arrrggghhhh!!!!" :D

ToSeek
2006-Apr-06, 03:52 PM

My wife has never forgiven Schulz for that one.

Maksutov
2006-Apr-06, 04:43 PM
My wife has never forgiven Schulz for that one.When asked about that strip's possible role as a spoiler for millions of readers, Schulz replied, "I know nottink!"

Staiduk
2006-Apr-06, 05:44 PM
When asked about that strip's possible role as a spoiler for millions of readers, Schulz replied, "I know nottink!"

Ba-doom-chik!

Gillianren
2006-Apr-06, 06:46 PM
Heh. I had not one but two episodes of The Simpsons spoil Planet of the Apes for me. Didn't actually see the movie until college.

Matherly
2006-Apr-06, 06:49 PM
Gee, thanks Gillianren. Now I'm gonna have Troy McClure singing stuck in my head all day.

SeanF
2006-Apr-06, 07:01 PM
Gee, thanks Gillianren. Now I'm gonna have Troy McClure singing stuck in my head all day.
"I mean the Broadway musical, starring you as - the human!"

"It's the role I was born to play!" :D

Gillianren
2006-Apr-06, 07:14 PM

Hmmm . . . I have an appointment with my shrink this afternoon. I bet if I sing "I hate every ape I see/from chimpan-A to chimpanzee," they'll think twice about deciding I'm not nuts!

Donnie B.
2006-Apr-06, 07:33 PM
Hmmm . . . I have an appointment with my shrink this afternoon. I bet if I sing "I hate every ape I see/from chimpan-A to chimpanzee," they'll think twice about deciding I'm not nuts!You know, that line is great. But I just thought of this variant:
"I hate every ape I see/from gorill-A to chimpan-Z".

Now, which one is better?

Swift
2006-Apr-06, 09:14 PM
Heh. I had not one but two episodes of The Simpsons spoil Planet of the Apes for me. Didn't actually see the movie until college.
You Maniacs! You blew it up!

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Apr-06, 09:35 PM
You know, that line is great. But I just thought of this variant:
"I hate every ape I see/from gorill-A to chimpan-Z".

Now, which one is better?

Naw, yours makes too much sense. The humour comes from the fact that there's no such thing as a "chimpanay."

Doodler
2006-Apr-06, 10:19 PM
A furious light sabre duel is under way. DARTH VADER is backing LUKE SKYWALKER toward the end of the gantry.

A quick move by Vader, chops off Luke's hand! It goes spinning off into the ventilation shaft.

Luke looks round, but realizes there's nowhere to go but straight down.

DARTH VADER: "Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father."

LUKE: "He told me enough! He told me you killed him!"

DARTH VADER: "No! I am your father!"

LUKE: "No, that's not true! That's impossible."

DARTH VADER: "Search your feelings; you know it to be true."

LUKE: "NO!"

DARTH VADER: "Yes, it is true and you know what else? You know that brass droid of yours?"

LUKE: "Threepio?"

DARTH VADER: "Yes, Threepio, I built him when I was 7 years old."

LUKE: "No."

DARTH VADER: "Seven years old! And what have you done? Look at yourself, no hand, no job, and couldn't even levitate your own ship out of the swamp."

LUKE: "I destroyed your precious Death Star!"

DARTH VADER: "When you were 20! When I was 10, I single-handedly destroyed a Trade Federation Droid Control ship!"

LUKE: "Well, it's not my fault."

DARTH VADER: "Oh, here we go. 'Poor me, my father never gave me what I wanted for my birthday, boo hoo, my daddy's the Dark Lord of the Sith...waahhh wahhh!' You make me sick."

LUKE: "Shut up!"

DARTH VADER: "You're a slacker! By the time I was your age, I had exterminated the Jedi Knights!"

LUKE: "I used to race my T-16 through Beggar's Canyon!"

DARTH VADER: "Oh, for the love of God, 10 years old, winner of the Boonta Eve Open. Only human to ever fly a Pod Racer, right here baby!"

Luke looks down the shaft. Takes a step toward it.

DARTH VADER: "I was wrong. You're not my kid. I don't know whose you are, but you sure ain't mine. Get out of my sight, you loser!"

Luke takes a step off the platform, hesitates, then plunges down the shaft. Darth Vader looks after him.

DARTH VADER: "AND GET A HAIRCUT!"

Chuck
2006-Apr-07, 01:01 AM
Vader: "Luke, I am your father."

Luke: "I'd applaud, but..."

AGN Fuel
2006-Apr-07, 04:58 AM
Hmmm . . . I have an appointment with my shrink this afternoon. I bet if I sing "I hate every ape I see/from chimpan-A to chimpanzee," they'll think twice about deciding I'm not nuts!

It works as well if you walk in, sing a bar of 'Alice's Restaurant' and walk out.

AGN Fuel
2006-Apr-07, 05:01 AM
All time favourite changed scene...

Act 1, scene 1: (Enter Godot from left)

mid
2006-Apr-07, 01:28 PM
Marcus Brody: Marion's the least of your worries right now, believe me, Indy.

Indiana: What do you mean?

Marcus: Well, I mean that for nearly three thousand years man has been searching for the lost ark. It's not something to be taken lightly. No one knows its secrets. It's like nothing you've ever gone after before. The moment you open it, all the Nazis in the area die horribly.

Indy: Good point. Let's just leave them to get on with finding it themselves, shall we?

Tog
2006-Apr-07, 01:47 PM
How about West Side Story?

He walks into Spanish Harlem, yells "Maria!", and all 80 Marias in range pop out instead of just the one.