PDA

View Full Version : The Strongest Magnetic Fields in the Universe

Fraser
2006-Apr-03, 11:45 PM
SUMMARY: The most powerful explosions in the Universe are the mysterious gamma ray bursts, which astronomers now think are collisions between neutron stars. A new simulation has calculated that in the moments after a collision, the explosion generates a magnetic field 1000 million million times more powerful than the Earth's magnetic field - the strongest magnetic fields in the Universe. The simulation took weeks on a supercomputer to calculate just a few milliseconds of a collision between neutron stars.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/exeter_magnetic_universe.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

trinitree88
2006-Apr-04, 12:22 AM
1.Some of these gamma ray bursts may be locally due to the Milky Way's halo of neutron stars...estimated to be ~ 10-100,000, at ~ 400 kiloparsecs, although the relatively isotropic distribution would argue for most of them being cosmological in origin.
2. Pulsar birth velocities exceeding ~250 km/sec are sufficient to eject them from the Milky Way...to parts unknown. Lower velocities (the majority) leaves them gravitationally bound with trajectories that carry them up from the disk, to the halo, and back down through the disk periodically.Talk about Nemesis.;)

Grand_Lunar
2006-Apr-04, 12:29 AM
I thought gamma ray bursts were caused by hypernova.

Or are these neutron star collisons yet another source of these bursts?

Though it doesn't mention it in the article, I assume the result after such a collison is a black hole?

antoniseb
2006-Apr-04, 11:26 AM
Look here for computer animations showing the intensity of the magnetic field when two co-rotating neutron stars collide.
http://www.astro.ex.ac.uk/people/dprice/research/nsmag/

Hamlet
2006-Apr-04, 02:08 PM
I thought gamma ray bursts were caused by hypernova.

Or are these neutron star collisons yet another source of these bursts?

Though it doesn't mention it in the article, I assume the result after such a collison is a black hole?

There are 2 types of GRBs, long-duration (> 2 secs) and short-duration (< 2 secs). The long-duration GRBs are thought to originate from some type of hypernova event where the energy from the explosion preferentialy flows from two jets along the rotation axis.

The short-duration bursts are thought to orginate from the merger of two neutron stars or from a black hole consuming a neutron star.

Drlove
2006-Apr-04, 06:37 PM
If the magnetic field is the strongest recorded, will the Gamma Ray Bursts be trapped by the same?

Gerald Lukaniuk
2006-Apr-04, 09:38 PM
If the magnetic field is the strongest recorded, will the Gamma Ray Bursts be trapped by the same?
You may have asked a the right question to point to where the fields unify as in "Unified Field Theory." How does a magnetic field escape a black hole while light can not or why does it not lose energy gravitationally through tidal interactions with other bodies.

Grand_Lunar
2006-Apr-04, 09:58 PM
There are 2 types of GRBs, long-duration (> 2 secs) and short-duration (< 2 secs). The long-duration GRBs are thought to originate from some type of hypernova event where the energy from the explosion preferentialy flows from two jets along the rotation axis.

The short-duration bursts are thought to orginate from the merger of two neutron stars or from a black hole consuming a neutron star.

Ah, yes. That clears it up.

I think they need to add that detail to that article.

Concerning hypernova; might the star Eta Carnarie (sp?) be large enough to form one?

Hamlet
2006-Apr-04, 10:33 PM
Ah, yes. That clears it up.

I think they need to add that detail to that article.

Concerning hypernova; might the star Eta Carnarie (sp?) be large enough to form one?

At about 100-120 Solar masses, it certainly has the mass to become one.

tadowe
2006-Apr-06, 11:40 AM
here we are with "two-dimensional" images *created* (not observed) to convince "science" that the largest magnetic fields ever discovered are created gravitationally!

Edit: oops hit the edit button instead of quote. I unintensionally removed part of the above post. I meant to say:
Did you look at the videos? They are clearly three dimensional models.
-Antoniseb