PDA

View Full Version : Galaxies Trapped in the Universe's Web

Fraser
2006-Apr-05, 03:49 AM
SUMMARY: Although the galaxies we see in the night sky seem randomly strewn across the heavens, they're actually organized into large scale structures that look like cosmic filaments. These filaments and walls surround huge bubble-like voids that lack any large structures at all. European astronomers measured the orientation of thousands of galaxies, and found that many are oriented in the direction of these linear filaments.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/trapped_in_web.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2006-Apr-05, 11:45 AM
I'd wondered if galaxies were aligned with the filiments (idle wondering). It's interesting to find that they are. It kind makes me imagine the filiments being pulled, and then the galaxies form as they pull material out of the linear concentrations of matter. The picture could be all wrong, but that's what this conjures up in my mind.

sol88
2006-Apr-06, 01:54 AM
Like the axiom:

As Above, So Below

We are all conected, like most of the older cultures knew. Like an eco-system on Earth, so there is one for the Soar system and on to the greater universe.

Nothing happens in isolation.

Jerry
2006-Apr-06, 01:51 PM
Alignment along the void planes makes the universe feel older: As pointed out in the introduction of the paper, in a young universe, there should be radial alignment. Since efforts to detect this alignment have failed, but a void alignment, at least in this study, appears evident, this would mean that the galactic clusters have existed long enough to preferentially bias galaxies away from the initial spatial alignment. That takes time.

Gerald Lukaniuk
2006-Apr-07, 09:15 PM
Even if 1 thrillionth of a sec is to fast for us to imagine it does not exclude a structured or fractal (feedback influenced) growth. The inside balloon scenario is to two dimensional. A rising dough ball scenerio I beleive is in the mainsteam accounting for a honey comb like universe. After about four passes its been demonstrated that regular geometric arrangements produced by independant precise factors when superimposed as strikingly similar to fractal or quantum fluctuation patterns. Could quantum effects be a perpetual "woobliness" imposed on a universe that started in a more defined state?

Gerald Lukaniuk
2006-Apr-07, 09:21 PM
Like the axiom:

As Above, So Below

We are all conected, like most of the older cultures knew. Like an eco-system on Earth, so there is one for the Soar system and on to the greater universe.

Nothing happens in isolation.
The mess(gauge.ruler) of the Universe is the Universe as de Chardin observed. If try to measure one part of a ruler with another we distort it.

Denni
2006-Apr-07, 11:46 PM
If the universe appears to be like a giant slab of sea foam, I wonder what plays the part of the air which comprises the bubbles. It seems to me form the images I've seen of the filamentary nature of the universe that *something* must be acting as a spacer between the filaments.

antoniseb
2006-Apr-07, 11:56 PM
*something* must be acting as a spacer between the filaments.

It is possible that the basic composition of the universe is pretty much the same and that the walls are just where the stuff from one zone is expanding into the stuff in the next zone.

This is not the mainstream explanation. I mention it as another model that sould explain what you're seeing without the need for a spacer.

Gerald Lukaniuk
2006-Apr-08, 01:35 AM
It is possible that the basic composition of the universe is pretty much the same and that the walls are just where the stuff from one zone is expanding into the stuff in the next zone.

This is not the mainstream explanation. I mention it as another model that sould explain what you're seeing without the need for a spacer.
Thue Linear field type influences that would acting alone produce regular shape like shperes or cubes from the outside in superimpose to produces fractal shapes like foamness,mountainousness,coastlines,leaves that only seem connected .