PDA

View Full Version : "This call may be monitored..."

sarongsong
2006-Apr-05, 07:36 AM
...for quality control purposes."
This recording is turning into a daily telephone encounter...
"...Only about 2% of customer calls are monitored by an outside auditor, according to experts...without a monitor ever stepping foot inside a client's office. Software is set up to tap the phone line and even capture what's on an operator's computer screen...even on another continent..." Inc.com (http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050601/customer-service.html)

farmerjumperdon
2006-Apr-05, 12:34 PM
Right up my alley. Just wrapping up a project in which we installed call recording, as well as a bunch of tools for data capture and analysis. Pretty amazing stuff. Makes it very easy to identify problems - worlds bettter than the old method of live monitoring.

Cylinder
2006-Apr-05, 12:41 PM
When I worked a large call center in Houston, you could always hear the QA folks when they ghosted a call. The quality would go from crystal clear to dull with a faint echo.

Gillianren
2006-Apr-05, 09:46 PM
When I worked in a small call center in Tumwater, you knew you were in trouble if you got called into the next room. That was where the QA monitors took you if you screwed up.

ToSeek
2006-Apr-06, 03:28 PM
I seem to recall that it was part of Candy's job to monitor customer service calls at United.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Apr-06, 03:39 PM
When I worked in a small call center in Tumwater, you knew you were in trouble if you got called into the next room. That was where the QA monitors took you if you screwed up.

They didn't by any chance equip the room with soft cushions, comfy chairs, and other implements of torture?

Seriously though, some companies may employ relatively draconian measures as part of quality assurance, but it truly is an environment of coaching and training for us. If a person is genuinely incompetent or acting with malice, tough measures are called for (termination being the final measure), but it is too expensive too find and train good staff to allow abuse of staff to take place.

I have worked with organizations where their market niche of being the lowest cost provider dictates some unhealthy behavior, but most organizations seem to use these tools in a way that benefits everybody in the long run.

Gillianren
2006-Apr-06, 06:39 PM
This place considered people on the phone lines to be the cheapest, most easily replaced part of the process. If you were there six months, you were doing very well. Now, they've since been bought out by another company, so it might've changed, but man, I went through co-workers fast while I was there.

Moose
2006-Apr-06, 06:43 PM
Moncton, NB is a bit of a call center hub. And all of my friends, family and acquaintances who went in were chewed up repeatedly and recycled between the other call center jobs. Not fun.

Roy Batty
2006-Apr-06, 06:45 PM
What about the other side of the coin though.. staff having to put up with with over the top, verbally abusive callers, whilst trying to to keep their cool. I suppose that's considered part of the job, but they deserve merit (yes, I was on an IT help desk once;)).

farmerjumperdon
2006-Apr-06, 07:14 PM
This place considered people on the phone lines to be the cheapest, most easily replaced part of the process. If you were there six months, you were doing very well. Now, they've since been bought out by another company, so it might've changed, but man, I went through co-workers fast while I was there.

Well, that's one way to handle service; chew 'em up - spit 'em out - keep the line moving. And if you don't pay them squat, that's what you get.

On the other hand, at the call center where I've spent the most time, knowledge and tenure are rewarded very nicely. Because of the stresses of being on the front line, even in a healthy environment the average person is not expected to last more than 2 years. After that most move on to other parts of the company. (They have to do 1 year after the 10 week training). It's kind of like making your bones. And there is nothing like it for gaining product knowledge.

It is amazing however, how many long tenure people work there, and like it.

Like I said, it just depends on where a company wants to spend their money; on constant recruitment and training, or on decent wages and benefits (which includes a healthy environment). The former is like spending your carreer as a hamster on a wheel.