PDA

View Full Version : The Bacardi Nebula discovered

Cylinder
2006-Apr-06, 01:51 PM
Alcohol cloud is 463 billion kilometres long (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060404/sc_afp/spaceastronomyoffbeat_060404000657)

Astronomers say they have spotted a cloud of alcohol in deep space that measures 463 billion kilometres (288 billion miles) across, a finding that could shed light on how giant stars are formed from primordial gas.

The vast bridge-shaped cloud of methyl alcohol has been spotted in a region of our galaxy, the Milky Way, that is called W3(OH), where stars are being formed by the gravitational collapse of concentrations of gas and dust, the discoverers said in a press release...

The cloud was spotted by astronomers based at Britain's Jodrell Bank Observatory led by Lisa Harvey-Smith. Their work was to be presented on Tuesday at a meeting in Leicester, central England, of the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS).

Yea - I know. Methanol is not ethanol. So sue me. :)

jlhredshift
2006-Apr-06, 02:22 PM
That puts an upper limit to its temperature.

John Kierein
2006-Apr-07, 08:16 PM
The solution to the fossil fuel shortage!

Lord Jubjub
2006-Apr-08, 01:12 AM
So. . .does that mean the UFOs we see are due to drunk aliens?

Tobin Dax
2006-Apr-08, 05:54 AM
Is there a nebula full of carbonic acid right next to it? ;)
*ducks*

Cougar
2006-Apr-08, 09:21 PM
Pagels wrote this in 1985...

"Twenty five years ago, astronomers thought the interstellar medium within our galaxy consisted of single atoms. But using radio telescopes and detectors sensitive to radiation emitted by molecules, "they found that 10 to 50 percent of the gas in our galaxy is molecular -- atoms stuck together -- and that it tends to cluster in giant clouds. About 99 percent of this gas is molecular hydrogen... but at least 53 other molecules have been detected, including ethyl alcohol, or vodka. The clouds of gas near the center of our galaxy contain enough vodka to fill more than 10,000 goblets the size of earth." [Heinz Pagels, Perfect Symmetry]

Arneb
2006-Apr-09, 02:18 AM
Alcohol cloud is 463 billion kilometres long (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060404/sc_afp/spaceastronomyoffbeat_060404000657)

Yea - I know. Methanol is not ethanol. So sue me. :)

I won't (cheers!), but Baccardi might. Insinuating that their terrible stuff is actually made from highly toxic, blindness-inducing methanol could harm their figures. :naughty:

On the other hand, it might explain the headache....:think:

Mr. Milton Banana
2006-Apr-09, 04:26 AM
Is there a nebula full of carbonic acid right next to it? ;)
*ducks*

Mr. Scott: "Does it go good with scotch?"

Bones McCoy: "It should."

Mr. Scott: "I'll yet ya know."

:p

Tobin Dax
2006-Apr-09, 05:41 AM
Mr. Scott: "Does it go good with scotch?"

Bones McCoy: "It should."

Mr. Scott: "I'll yet ya know."

:p

Touche.

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-09, 06:32 AM
I was curious about the distance and found this pdf:

http://www.oan.es/evn2004/WebPage/KHachisuka.pdf

It is a bit over 2000 parsecs or a bit more than 6500 light years away.

I haven't found the estimated density, but I'm pretty sure it is a very good vacuum.

So you're going to need a very long straw, lots of time and some Bussard ramscoops (or other effective collection system) to pick this stuff up, then a few metabolic adjustments for the toxicity. But we have the time for that before we get to drink, so . . . Yum!