PDA

View Full Version : Guest comments

sarongsong
2006-Apr-07, 08:05 AM
Perhaps this has already been addressed, if so, I missed it. BAUT attracts a lot of guests (e.g., just now: Currently Active Users: 182; 20 members and 162 guests). Some may have valuable information or questions to contribute, but for whatever reason[s] do not wish to register. I have seen other sites where guest comments are encouraged, and just wonder if this option has been considered here, or been tried in the past.

Fram
2006-Apr-07, 08:18 AM
Moderating members is already hard enough for the moderators. Moderating guests is next to impossible. You can block IP's, but that's not enough nowadays. Registering isn't a big deal, and I feel that the advantages of having guests are far outweighed by the disadvantages.

sarongsong
2006-Apr-07, 08:30 AM
Oh, I'm not suggesting they be allowed direct thread participation, just a way for them to comment anonymously somehow.

jkmccrann
2006-Apr-07, 10:19 AM
There did used to be a guest function - all one has to do is do some browsing of some of the more historic threads and one can find the contributions of many guests - well before my time. I think that UT used to allow guests to contribute/participate in the past, but that policy was obviously altered in the `reformation.'

Laguna
2006-Apr-07, 10:44 AM
To disable guest postings has a major advantage.
You keep almost all those spambots outside.

Tensor
2006-Apr-07, 02:28 PM
Of those 162 "guests", there are probably quite a few members who simply haven't signed in. If I'm just checking checking on a particular thread or two, I don't always sign in.

Wolverine
2006-Apr-07, 04:18 PM
Don't forget the bots & spiders.

Fraser
2006-Apr-07, 08:47 PM
I'm torn about allowing guests to post. We used to do it on the UT board in certain sections and it wasn't too much of a problem. It was a gentle way for some people to start using the forum. It was also great for professional astronomers to drop by and answer questions about their research. It's often too much work for them to actually register to join the discussion.

Doe, John
2006-Apr-07, 10:05 PM
I'm torn about allowing guests to post. We used to do it on the UT board in certain sections and it wasn't too much of a problem. It was a gentle way for some people to start using the forum. It was also great for professional astronomers to drop by and answer questions about their research. It's often too much work for them to actually register to join the discussion.

Boy them astronomers must be really busy to not be able to take less than five minutes to register. I don't even have to log on, the computers take care of that for me. :)

sarongsong
2006-Apr-07, 11:05 PM
I'm torn about allowing guests to post. We used to do it...Ah, OK then, it has been tried before, thanks. I suppose if anyone actually were sitting on any 'hot' insights they'd find some other way to air them.
Tensor's point that many 'guests' are in all probability mostly 'us' that just didn't sign in is a good one, too.

ToSeek
2006-Apr-10, 05:15 PM
Considering how often we get spam messages these days, I'd be kind of nervous about allowing guests to post. I think BAUT is a much bigger target than UT was.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Apr-10, 05:18 PM
Perhaps we could create a guest forum? Non-registered users could only post there, nowhere else.

Captain Kidd
2006-Apr-10, 06:02 PM
Then we'd have Guest Threads paralleling Registered Users Threads. That could get confusing as guests target particular posts in a RUT. You’d have to go hunt that thread down if no link and then you get odd disconnects where somebody posted in one thread but doesn’t want to repeat themselves in the other (or don’t have the time or knowledge of the other thread) so that those only following one of the threads misses out on what’s said.

Plus, with the anti-ATM notoriety this board has, I can’t help but feel that guest posting could quickly turn into flame sessions and/or pure weirdness a la GLP.

Kaptain K
2006-Apr-10, 06:18 PM
Agreed! GLP is a very strong argument against guest posting!

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Apr-10, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the concept. It was just an option to consider.

Swift
2006-Apr-10, 06:44 PM
Agreed! GLP is a very strong argument against guest posting!
Ditto. I think that particularly in ATM and Conspiracies we would get a lot of flame wars - it would be a chance for previously banned people to continue their fights.

hhEb09'1
2006-Apr-17, 05:15 PM
There did used to be a guest function - all one has to do is do some browsing of some of the more historic threads and one can find the contributions of many guests - well before my time. Some of the unattributed posts (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=3781&highlight=HUbbish#post3781) in old threads are the result of an incomplete or inaccurate transformation of posts when the conversions took place. A lot of HUb''s posts are in limbo.

mickal555
2006-Apr-18, 09:20 AM
Just like poor HUb' himself :)

I don't like the idea of guest posts...

Spam is all that gets you....

Astrono
2006-Apr-19, 04:04 PM
Greetings from Beautiful Beaufort South Carolina!

mickal555
2006-Apr-21, 01:37 AM
Hey! :D