PDA

View Full Version : Swirling Feature on the Moon

Fraser
2006-Apr-08, 12:07 AM
SUMMARY: This image was taken by ESA's SMART-1 spacecraft, and shows a bright feature on the surface of the Moon called the Reiner Gamma Formation. This is a bright spot on the Moon which is totally flat, and surrounded by much darker "mare". Ground observations originally misidentified it as a crater, but when US and Russian spacecraft visited the Moon, they revealed this strange swirling morphology.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/reiner_gamma_swirl.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2006-Apr-08, 01:08 AM
Lots of unusual discoveries I get impressions right away aboutwhat cuased them. Granted a lot of these impressions are wrong, but I get them. In this case, I am not coming up with any gut feeling about how it could have formed.

Gerald Lukaniuk
2006-Apr-08, 08:06 PM
Interesting thing about geology,it a relentless clock powered by gravity. Water flowing down hill carves valley. So does ice and snow but much slower. Frozen gases could do the same but a lot,lot longer. Perhaps subtle flows of weak and sporatic fluidic forces over billions of years can create familiar structures.

Jerry
2006-Apr-10, 03:13 PM
Lunar swirls are associated with magnetic anomalies and some of these swirls – such as Mare Ingenii and Mare Marginis - are 'antipodal' to large impact structures (that is they are located right into opposite regions of the Moon globe).

An impact creates an incredible compression spike, and I think is is reasonable that the resulting compression waves could cause dust and loose stuff on the opposite side of the moon to form a distorted rebound pattern - just an opinion.

edit - really poor grammer!