PDA

View Full Version : Television is the cause of all sickness of eyes

suntrack2
2006-Apr-08, 02:53 PM
I am talking about the 100 s of chanels on television, 100 s of serials and different programmes, our eyes are getting much trouble with the dark colours of television, streep reading in the bottom of television is a difficult work for our eyes. listening and viewing ads on television means a great exercise to our eyes, number of news chanels giving common news with different faces on the screen. but today tv is become the part of our life style, the benefits and evils of viewing tv this will be a great chapter, but even kids are much like to see the cartoon show.

our eyes are baring all this show, and show is going on, this is the gift of science to view tv through sattelite that's nice. but the uses of television "how long our eyes bare the hundreds of chanels per day", the mind is just confused by overlooking chanels by pushing the remote buttons, our mind do not rest on any particular chanel, we are habitual to see couple of chanels at the same time.

so is tv useful for us? so tv increases our intelligence? tv is useful to update our general knowledge? tv is supporting for getting high number of lenses to our eyes? in the lonelyness tv is the best friend? to control childrens in the home tv is a best idol ? today childrens are looking a famous spectetors of tv programs but we can see water drops in their eyes due to the rediation from tv?

sunil ( quote your views)

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-08, 05:33 PM
TV is nothing more then entertainment Sunil, it doesn't increase our intelligence as much as it makes us more social I think.

Roy Batty
2006-Apr-08, 06:16 PM
Well it can increase knowledge, if used wisely like any other tool. Uh oh, gotta go, re-run of Frasier showing... ;)

suntrack2
2006-Apr-09, 05:11 PM
yes you are right dragon and roy betty, today particularly in the villages there is a vast need of modern education facility, but there are very rare universities all over the world who are teaching online on the television except few are doing so.

when there is a facility to see hundreds of chanels then how much of them educational? this is a big question, only commercial ads, banners, news, soap opera, dramas, horror serials, rare kind of programes based on science and technology and nothing more, and the political tycoons. how the general peoples are benefited, only entertainment is not suitable, educational, motivational, something beyond that. looking only chaos on television, and the today's generations dance, dialogues and so on.

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-09, 05:18 PM
Yea, another problem is increasing knowledge in a bad way, what I mean by this is shows like CSI, I mean, a criminal could watch the show and pull off the perfect murder, they share things like bleach removes all DNA evidence and things of the sort, which can be dangerous.

Oh, and so you know Sunil, it's Batty not Betty.;) :D

soylentgreen
2006-Apr-09, 06:01 PM
Yea, another problem is increasing knowledge in a bad way, what I mean by this is shows like CSI, I mean, a criminal could watch the show and pull off the perfect murder, they share things like bleach removes all DNA evidence and things of the sort, which can be dangerous.

Actually, it's worse than that. Shows like CSI put unrealistic expectations in crime solving technologies into the heads of impressionable viewers who later take those misconceptions with them to jury duty.

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-09, 06:03 PM
I was only using it as an example, there is a lot out there that doesn't need to be...

Gillianren
2006-Apr-09, 07:03 PM
Based on the thread title . . . no. Hence the eye diseases predating television.

And, no, television doesn't increase intelligence. Thinking increases intelligence.

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-09, 07:04 PM
But if your thinking because of TV then TV would be the underlying cause...:)

Cl1mh4224rd
2006-Apr-09, 07:32 PM
. . .our eyes are getting much trouble with the dark colours of television, streep reading in the bottom of television is a difficult work for our eyes. listening and viewing ads on television means a great exercise to our eyes, number of news chanels giving common news with different faces on the screen.
I'm not sure how this complexity is any different from walking down a city street, or even through a forest. In both situations there's great contrast of color and lots of things to look at, all with plenty of detail.

Disinfo Agent
2006-Apr-09, 10:10 PM
I am talking about the 100 s of chanels on television, 100 s of serials and different programmes, our eyes are getting much trouble with the dark colours of television, streep reading in the bottom of television is a difficult work for our eyes.Yes, but computer screens are much worse.

Cookie
2006-Apr-10, 04:56 AM
I agree with the statements about TV (in general) being a source of entertainment, and I'd like to add some more senarios to that.

~ Time spent in a Hospital as a Patient can pass more pleasantly with a good selection of programs to watch, so as not to dwell on why a Patient is in said hospital in the first place.

~ People with certian Physical Handicaps have more choices on how to spend their time at home.

~ Also, with the proper setup (multiple tuners and hard drives) in a HTPC, you can set up a sweet rig (as my brother puts it) to help a loved one who's addicted to Television to get some much needed sunlight.
:lol:

ToSeek
2006-Apr-10, 01:34 PM
I spent close to two weeks in the hospital this time last year. I would have been gnawing the fixtures without television.

Charly
2006-Apr-10, 09:28 PM
I spent close to two weeks in the hospital this time last year. I would have been gnawing the fixtures without television.

I spent three weeks in hospital a couple of years back without tv at all.

They had not installed the tvs in the ward I was in.

What was worse, they moved us in from a ward that did have tvs in.

I spent one night which had a marathon of series 2 of 24. I had missed virtually the whole series so I could watch it all when it came out on dvd. But I succumbed to temptation and watched 4 episodes, and then the next day they moved us to the tv-less ward. A lesson there.

Oh, and life is worthless without the telly, internet, and your own bed.

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-11, 04:33 AM
And from personal experience in the hospital, it is much easier watching TV than attempting to read a book when you are loaded with so much pain killer and muscle relaxant that your vision goes blurry . . .

Maksutov
2006-Apr-11, 05:13 AM
And from personal experience in the hospital, it is much easier watching TV than attempting to read a book when you are loaded with so much pain killer and muscle relaxant that your vision goes blurry . . .You got that right. About the only thing that helped recently was using "magnifier" type glasses that required the book to held a few inches from one's face. I must have looked kind of like Mr. Bemis in Time Enough at Last before he dropped his glasses. Of course sometimes the effects of the various drugs that caused blurry vision were helpful, such as while reading the complete works of Faulkner. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif Just kidding.

But the TV was useful for keeping up with sports per the networks and ESPN, especially at the end of NCAA regular season basketball. Too bad things such as The Science Channel weren't available, though.

Gillianren
2006-Apr-11, 07:33 PM
Of course sometimes the effects of the various drugs that caused blurry vision were helpful, such as while reading the complete works of Faulkner. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif Just kidding.

You are? (Then again, if you feel as I do about Faulkner, you wouldn't bother!)

Argos
2006-Apr-11, 09:32 PM
If I had my way TV would be the greatest of inventions. And as DA says, a computer monitor is a lot worse. I do have problems with it.

suntrack2
2006-Apr-13, 04:51 PM
the business of optholmologist grown up in the last 20 years, is it the gift of excessive "looking television", or seating infront of the computer screens?

Gillianren
2006-Apr-13, 07:10 PM
I read a theory once that, in fact, there aren't greater eye problems than there used to be. It's just that, now that people have to use their eyes for detail work, more eye problems are noticed.

suntrack2
2006-Apr-17, 12:08 PM
thanks for the replies you above. two personalities have quoted that during the sojourn of the hospital they found the suitablility of tv, it is true that in hospital like places there is no ulternate medium to watch or to see the outer world, tv may be the great and important tool found at such places, and the span of being hospitalized may be minimise as far as boring time or hospital sleeping positions are concerns, but tv at such places creates a sort of pleasure for the patients who are hospitalized. hence at these places the cause of eye-itching is waived.

Harvestar
2006-Apr-17, 09:27 PM
I find my computer *far* worse on my eyesight than my TV.

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-17, 09:42 PM
I find my computer *far* worse on my eyesight than my TV.

I did at first, but now it is harder for me to watch TV because it is farther away from me then my Monitor is. Also, LCD is easier on the eyes then CRT is.

suntrack2
2006-Apr-18, 11:27 AM
if we change the colour mode of the television in 'dark', so observing the images gives much stress to the eyes, if we look in the soft mode the picture become dull one for the eyes. big sound and the dark picture gives us a headache also, tears may also comes in the eyes due to which our concentration may also disturb, in this event many time we do either change in the chanel or we normally switch off our television. when vehicles going near by our home the tv starts disturbing the image and sound as well.

sarongsong
2008-Jan-08, 11:40 AM
Here, try this Organic Light Emitting Diode television (http://physorg.com/news118937494.html) http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
January 7, 2008
...“Not only does the technology change the form factor of television, it delivers flawless picture quality that will soon become the standard against which all TVs are measured.”...With its light-emitting structure, OLED displays can prevent light emission when reproducing shades of black, resulting in very deep blacks and a contrast ratio of over 1,000,000:1...
PHYSORG.com

suntrack2
2008-Jan-08, 05:10 PM
Here, try this Organic Light Emitting Diode television (http://physorg.com/news118937494.html) http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Oh!, that's great information here sarong, the links are too much informative.