PDA

View Full Version : Lurkers not welcome?

NoXion
2006-Apr-09, 03:25 AM
I just noticed this little message that appears at the tope of every page:

Hello NoXion it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Are forum lurkers not welcome here?

hhEb09'1
2006-Apr-09, 03:29 AM
Are forum lurkers not welcome here?We just ignore them. :)

Edited to add emoticon. Of course, lurkers are welcome! The more the merrier

Fraser
2006-Apr-09, 05:14 AM
Lurkers are encouraged to post in the forum. If everybody lurked, then nobody would post anything. Think of it as an advertisement.

BenderBendingRodriguez
2006-Apr-09, 11:45 AM
Think of it as an advertisement.

Or an invitation. Sounds nicer ;)

Fraser
2006-Apr-09, 04:13 PM
Oh.. yeah, that's what I meant. :-) We invite you to post on the forum. Come on... please?

peteshimmon
2006-Apr-09, 04:28 PM
Actually considering some of the high
powered discussions here (not me) I
wonder if these forums are used as a resource
by physics students. Obvious questions are
put and (mostly) answered. Perhaps some site
hit statistics could be dressed up for
display.

hhEb09'1
2006-Apr-09, 04:49 PM
I
wonder if these forums are used as a resource
by physics students.Probably mostly utilized by them as soporifics :)

mickal555
2006-Apr-18, 09:25 AM
Perhaps some site
hit statistics could be dressed up for
display.

That would be cool :)

Mungascr
2006-Jun-05, 05:03 AM
Anyone relying on the internet for accurate information esp. when it comes to physics or other uni. papers as opposed to looking stuff up in a proper textbook is asking for trouble if you ask me ...

... But then if you do & see my answer here by definition above it's not reliable itself! ;)

Hmmmn ...

I don't mind answering qus & helping out, I don't mind asking questions & getting help. Its all voluntary and a matter of what you choose to do here.

But I do think there are some sources of info. that carry more weight & people need to be careful especially if relying on info. for accuracy and fullness.

Eg. who / what would you rate as the better source for a religion paper :

A) The textbook 'Bertrand Russell on God & Religion', edited by Al Seckel, (Prometheus Books, 1986)

B) A pamphlet dumped in your letterbox by the Mormons or suchlike group

C) A post on a net forum by somebody you don't know ...?

Ditto physics albeit you don't get too many equivalents of the Mormons there ...

Anyone here who is taking info. for papers I urge you to be careful & don't plagarise but attribute your source. All uni's take a VERY dim view of the former and if caught - as quite likely you'll risk strong punishment incl. expulsion.

If you really must or wish to use anything from this type of web forum... You can quote in your bibliography /references as individuals nam or web tag in inverted commas, 'Personal comunication' with the forum name, weblink and date you accessed.

I think - but check your own uni's policies for what they consider acceptable.

& No, I'm neither lecturer nor currently student myself and I've never done that myself.
I don't really recomned it but have quoted some e-mailed material using that method in my own Honours thesis - among many x many other sources.

Sp1ke
2006-Jun-05, 03:13 PM
Hey, Mungascr, I like the idea that physicists and other scientists should start distributing pamphlets.

"Have you invited Cosmology into your life...?"

agingjb
2006-Jun-06, 07:41 AM
I see that I'm being asked to start posting again. I'll think about it - still thinking.

agingjb
2006-Jul-03, 07:40 PM
Hmm. I see that modifying doesn't count as a contribution, so the admonitory banner is still present. Well, if one of the good threads provides me with an opportunity of something to say, then I'll say it. Until then I'll just read, if that's OK.

ToSeek
2006-Jul-03, 07:52 PM
We have a thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=43241) now just for people to post who primarily want to stop being pestered.

Lance
2006-Jul-03, 10:19 PM
Someone should do a study to see if it actually annoys more people than it prompts to make meaningful posts.

And I don't count: "I am only posting to get rid of the annoying banner." a meaningful post.

R.A.F.
2006-Jul-04, 11:35 AM
Perhaps it's because I post here "basically" all the time, but I don't understand why "lurkers" need to log in just to "lurk". Personally, I don't log in unless I'm going to post something.

Does it have something to do with being subscribed to different threads?

Tog
2006-Jul-04, 12:06 PM
It could. You can't see your subscribed threads unless you're logged in. If someone had an interest in reading all that went on about the Moon Hoax, or astrophotography, sifting throught the 200+ threads with new posts every few days would be a pain. Plus, in cases like mine where I'm the only one to use the computer, I set the bookmark to go to the page with me logged in, so everytime I'm here, even for a minute, I'm logged in.

R.A.F.
2006-Jul-04, 01:06 PM
If someone had an interest in reading all that went on about the Moon Hoax, or astrophotography, sifting throught the 200+ threads with new posts every few days would be a pain.

Most certainly...since I'm here "multiple" times per day, then looking at the new posts only isn't such a "pain".

Stealth Poster
2006-Jul-04, 09:49 PM
Lurkers are encouraged to post in the forum. If everybody lurked, then nobody would post anything. Think of it as an advertisement.

Can we put an advertisement to encourage posters to lurk?

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jul-05, 09:03 AM
Perhaps it's because I post here "basically" all the time, but I don't understand why "lurkers" need to log in just to "lurk". Personally, I don't log in unless I'm going to post something.

Also, as far as I remember, you need to be logged in to see attachments.

ToSeek
2006-Jul-05, 02:05 PM

I think it's also that the system can only keep track of which threads you have or haven't read if you have an account.

Māori
2006-Jul-05, 03:11 PM
This is a pretty funny statement. :shhh:

jkmccrann
2006-Jul-06, 10:32 AM

Have you drawn up a list of these Stealth?

Stealth Poster
2006-Jul-06, 10:36 PM
Have you drawn up a list of these Stealth?

I am forming one :D

mickal555
2006-Jul-07, 03:33 AM
Uh oh...

Lurker
2006-Jul-13, 01:57 AM
I feel welcome... :)

ToSeek
2006-Jul-13, 02:40 AM
Go away.

;)

Lurker
2006-Jul-13, 06:53 PM
Go away.

;)

I will tell a certain french maiden if you aren't nice to me!! :razz:

ToSeek
2006-Jul-13, 07:35 PM
Monique has many fine qualities, but being intimidating isn't one of them. ;)

Lurker
2006-Jul-13, 08:26 PM
Busted!! Damn.... :eh:

tkingdoll
2006-Jul-13, 11:03 PM
As a lurker and not a lurkee, I will confess that I am currently lurking until I learn enough to be able to contribute to the 90% of threads in which I don't yet have anything meaningful to say.

Carry on!

Moose
2006-Jul-13, 11:05 PM
*grin* TK, it's not like that's ever stopped me before.

Fraser
2006-Jul-14, 03:31 AM
As a lurker and not a lurkee, I will confess that I am currently lurking until I learn enough to be able to contribute to the 90% of threads in which I don't yet have anything meaningful to say.

Carry on!

Getting involved is the only way to learn. One of the best ways to ask questions, or get posters to go into more details with their answers. You'll learn and contribute.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-14, 03:42 AM

Carry on!

PFT...I don't contribute to anything other then reporting spam on this forum and I make all kinds of post, but I like to be involved. It goes like this, all of these people have nothing to do unless people like us who don't know, ask questions, and make mistakes. Familiar with the circle of Life? Well this is the circle of Forums. :D

Monique
2006-Jul-16, 08:47 PM
Ahhhh, but I have voice of sugar, no? I use "sweet talk" and people do what I wish. ;)

ToSeek
2006-Jul-16, 09:37 PM
Ahhhh, but I have voice of sugar, no? I use "sweet talk" and people do what I wish. ;)

We have a saying about honey attracting more flies than vinegar. Or something like that.

Monique
2006-Jul-16, 09:49 PM
We have a saying about honey attracting more flies than vinegar. Or something like that.
French do not choose to attract flies. Perhaps Americans desire such. :think:

;)

ToSeek
2006-Jul-16, 11:27 PM
French do not choose to attract flies. Perhaps Americans desire such. :think:

;)

It is kind of a strange saying, and in context it makes me a fly. Bzzzzz!

Gillianren
2006-Jul-17, 02:34 AM
Another variation on the saying is that you will catch more flies with honey, which is desirable in the sense that, if you catch them, you can get rid of them.

kimpatsu
2006-Jul-19, 11:56 AM
I lurk because, quite frankly, the Draconian rules make me terrified of being banned if I post. Not even the JREF website is this severe.

kimpatsu
2006-Jul-19, 11:57 AM
That's why there are no flies on me.

Sticks
2006-Jul-19, 12:21 PM
I have been out of the loop on account of being spammed out on a multi-media project.

This morning I was chaged 15 to reactivate an account because I had not dialed in for 35 days :(

So on seeing this I thought my account here was going to be revoked because I had been busy elsewhere.

:shifty:

ToSeek
2006-Jul-19, 12:25 PM
I lurk because, quite frankly, the Draconian rules make me terrified of being banned if I post. Not even the JREF website is this severe.

No one (well, no one who's sincere - spammers are an exception) gets banned from here for a single post. The first time you violate a rule, we'll warn you and explain why. The second time, you'll get a short-term ban. It's generally only with three or more violations that we dump someone. I guess I'm saying I don't really understand your concern - we have hundreds of posters on here who have managed to stay within the lines during their whole time here.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-19, 04:19 PM
Er...just fallow the rules, is it that hard?:eh:

That's like saying you can't live because their are too many laws. ;)

Sp1ke
2006-Jul-20, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't say the rules are at all draconian on this forum. I think they keep the discussions from descending into the mud-slinging and insults that plague other boards. I don't often post because real life gets in the way and it's quicker to browse and lurk than it is to compose messages. But I have no fears that my comments, however banal, will incur the wrath of the Baut :)

Post away, kimpatsu, it takes real effort to be banned here, really.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jul-20, 01:27 PM
Er...just fallow the rules, is it that hard?:eh:
You mean like, let them lie for a while without being used so they can recover?

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-20, 02:28 PM
You mean like, let them lie for a while without being used so they can recover?

Umm...apparently that went right over my head, as most things do, can you explain what your talking about, please?

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-20, 02:33 PM
Fallow (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fallow)
I thought it was funny, but then my sense of humour is a bit warped:)

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-20, 02:35 PM
Oh, thanks. :o

ToSeek
2006-Jul-20, 02:45 PM
Fallow (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fallow)
I thought it was funny, but then my sense of humour is a bit warped:)

Well I got the joke, at least.

Gillianren
2006-Jul-20, 06:14 PM
As did I.

That being said, I don't find it terribly difficult to follow the rules. Then again, I also don't generally find it easier to be rude just because I can't see you guys. As long as you're polite, and you avoid politics and religion, no problem.