PDA

View Full Version : Water on Moon

Gareth56
2006-Apr-10, 08:02 PM
On page 163 of Bad Astronomy P.P. states that there is "virtually" no water on ther Moon. I was under the impression from recent Lunar missions that there was sufficient water to perhaps use the Moon as a staging post to the outer planet Mars and possibly colonize the Moon. That is use the trapped water-ice in the poles and convert it to hydrogen and oxygen.

Gareth

2006-Apr-10, 10:55 PM
Depends on which meaning of "virtually" was in use: "in fact" or "nearly".

Considering today's news stories, it could be either.

Reuters: NASA plans probe to blast into moon in water hunt (http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyID=2006-04-10T221434Z_01_N10391473_RTRIDST_0_SCIENCE-SPACE-MOON-DC.XML)

Two previous missions, the military's Clementine spacecraft and NASA's Lunar Prospector, determined the moon's south pole is particularly rich in hydrogen, which scientists suspect is bound with oxygen to form water.

But there are other theories to explain the hydrogen readings as well.

"What this mission buys us is an early attempt to get to know what the resources are," said Scott Horowitz, head of NASA's lunar exploration program. "We know for sure that for human exploration to succeed we're going to have to eventually live off the land."

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-11, 04:16 AM
The moon is dry, really dry. On earth, your average bit of rock has a decent amount of water in it. If we find rock with a little bit of water in a few dark craters on the moon, we're doing very well (most moon rock is incredibly dry). The evidence for lunar water is still pretty iffy.

This is an entire world. Saying that there might be a lake's worth of water here and there counts as "virtually dry." The Sahara desert would be the Pacific Ocean by comparison.

sun45114
2006-Apr-16, 01:16 PM
There is no rift valley on our Moon. Therefore, there couldn’t exist any water ice there. The impacting to the southern pole of the Moon in 1999 has testified it. The future impacting of LRO will testify it again! I suggest that NASA should declare with clear and open what’s lurking within permanently darkened craters after the impacting in 2008.

Tianxi Sun
Professorial Senior Engineer
P. R. of China
sun45114@yahoo.com.cn

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-16, 10:08 PM
There is no rift valley on our Moon. Therefore, there couldn’t exist any water ice there.

Care to explain your reasoning? There are some shaded craters at the pole that may contain water as ice and in rock, deposited by comet impacts, and there is some evidence for the presence of a limited amount of water. How do rift valleys apply?

sun45114
2006-Apr-17, 04:48 AM
:mad: An Open Letter to NASA

NASA:

I am writing you with much concern after having read news about your explorers, which named Phoenix that will be launched by NASA in August 2007 to land and scout the high northern latitudes of Mars to seek life in May 2008 [1] and named LRO that will impact again to the Moon to seek water ice there in 2008 [2].

I query the actual effects of your programs and advance some suggests for you as follows, according to one of the viewpoints of RIFT EVOLUTIONISM [3-6] (there is rift valley in one star, there could be water body and the life there, such as Mars):

1. Now that the main goal of Phoenix is to seek Mars life, it should land onto Mars’ rift valley directly. If there is some kind of lives on Mars, the Martian living beings should be first appeared in the area of the rift valley, such as Valles Marineris. So, I suggest that the landing site of Phoenix should be onto Mars' rift valley (for example, Valles Marineris).

2. There is no rift valley on our Moon. Therefore, there couldn’t exist any water ice there. The impacting to the southern pole of the Moon in 1999 has testified it. The future impacting of LRO will testify it again! I suggest that NASA should declare with clear and open what’s lurking within permanently darkened craters after the impacting in 2008.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely yours,

Tianxi Sun
Professorial Senior Engineer
P. R. of China
sun45114@yahoo.com.cn
Thu, 13 Apr 2006

[1] http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Mars/MarsExploration/MarsScout2007.html
[2] http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/main/index.html
[3] Sun Tianxi, 1987.On biologic evolution with plate breakup. In: International Symposium on Tectonic Evolution and Dynamics of Continental Lithosphere (Abstracts). Beijing, China, 2-143 (in English).
[4] Sun Tianxi, 1988. Living things and rift valleys. Nature journal, Shanghai, China, 6:430-434 (in Chinese).
[5] Sun Tianxi, 2001. Rift Evolutionism (Chinese traditional version). Hong Kong Tranfor Publishing Co. Limited, Hong Kong. ISBN: 962-85541-5-8 (in Chinese)
[6]. Sun Tianxi, 2004. Rift Evolutionism (Chinese simplified version). Sichuan Science and Technology Publishing House, Chengdu, China. ISBN: 7-5364-5411-2 (in Chinese).

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Apr-17, 05:08 AM
sun45114, please do not post the same thing in multiple threads. You posted this in Space Exploration as well (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=40495). I will lock this thread and refer others to the other thread.