PDA

View Full Version : Bad Local News

Rodina
2003-Mar-18, 06:16 AM
I'm watching KTVU Channel 2 news here in the Bay Area, and Lesile Griffith, the evening cohost, was talking to their reporter in Kuwait City:

Would you tell us what the conditions are like in Kuwait? What the temperature is like? Whether there is a full moon?

Gee. There's a full moon here in California, but since Kuwait's on the other side of the planet.. maybe its a new moon.

AAARGH!

beskeptical
2003-Mar-18, 09:20 AM
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif Oh that's great.

Kiwi
2003-Mar-18, 11:19 AM
Well, it's full here in N.Z. too! Strange, that. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Was it actually night-time in Kuwait? Did the co-host expect that the full moon might have been visible in broad daylight?

gethen
2003-Mar-18, 02:10 PM
And we wonder why bad astronomy proliferates so quickly. I would like to know how many viewers are checking newspapers, etc. this a.m. to find out what phase the Iraqi moon is in.

calliarcale
2003-Mar-18, 03:29 PM
On 2003-03-18 06:19, Kiwi wrote:
Well, it's full here in N.Z. too! Strange, that. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Was it actually night-time in Kuwait? Did the co-host expect that the full moon might have been visible in broad daylight?

Well, of course! He/she was probably trying to show off this nifty new tidbit of knowledge they had learned: that the moon is sometimes visible during the day!

Which just goes to show: a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....

tracer
2003-Mar-18, 09:42 PM
While listening to a Contemporary Christian Music station, I heard a song where one of the lines is:

"And who told the moon where to hide 'til evening?"

My thought was, Well, whoever it was did a pretty lousy job of it, considering you can see the moon during the day half the time when it isn't full!

gethen
2003-Mar-19, 01:39 AM
And I know a guy with a postgraduate degree in biology, presumably a science-type, who was stunned at seeing the moon "in broad daylight" recently. Just never looked up before I guess.

Hale_Bopp
2003-Mar-19, 02:33 AM
Well, there always is the possibility that the reporter didn't know there was a full Moon ANYWHERE that day. Not everyone keeps close track of those things.

Rob

beskeptical
2003-Mar-19, 06:47 AM
On 2003-03-18 21:33, Hale_Bopp wrote:
Well, there always is the possibility that the reporter didn't know there was a full Moon ANYWHERE that day. Not everyone keeps close track of those things.

Rob

You mean like the reporter hadn't been outside in a few weeks? Or just hadn't noticed the Moon?

calliarcale
2003-Mar-20, 09:35 PM
Sadly, some people don't notice the Moon. Even on a cloudless night with a full moon, it can escape the notice of those disinterested in it. These are often the same folks who have never seen a sun halo, think that clouds are all puffy cumulus clouds, and who probably wouldn't notice if they fell asleep on the Northern Hemisphere and woke up on a clear night on the Southern.

I remember when Hale-Bopp was so brilliantly visible in the night sky. I was at college at the time, and I went out to look at it regularily, awed by its beauty. My roommate didn't understand the fascination, but since she just wasn't interested in anything science-related, I figured it just wasn't something she wanted to spend a lot of brain power on. What was shocking was when I went to Quiz Bowl practise and mentioned the comet and not one team-member of this highly trivia-obsessed group even knew there was a comet visible in the sky despite relatively heavy media coverage for what would otherwise be just another celestial object. All but one were very excited and came out to look at it with me, but the team captain was completely disinterested and couldn't understand why we cared.

That was the day I began to really realize that some folks aren't ignorant of the sky simply because they haven't looked at it -- some genuinely don't care even if they do look. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

sacrelicious
2003-Mar-20, 09:50 PM
didn't she realize that if the moon was not in the same phase there as it is here, then all modern theories regarding astrology would have to be thrown out?

---this message brought to you by The Corporation For Fighting Bad Astronomy With Worse Astronomy---

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

kilopi
2003-Mar-21, 02:00 AM
I heard a dialogue on the radio this morning--the reporter in the field said he was across the river from where the bombs were falling, and the other reporter felt the need to clarify and mentioned that must mean he was on the East side of the river. He didn't know, but he'd check, as he had a compass somewhere. They broke to another reporter while he found his compass, and checked.

beskeptical
2003-Mar-21, 07:21 AM
On 2003-03-20 21:00, kilopi wrote:

I heard a dialogue on the radio this morning--the reporter in the field said he was across the river from where the bombs were falling, and the other reporter felt the need to clarify and mentioned that must mean he was on the East side of the river. He didn't know, but he'd check, as he had a compass somewhere. They broke to another reporter while he found his compass, and checked.

I suppose it's asking waaaay to much for someone to know which direction is which when the stupid Iraq map is on every news channel including floor models, table models, satellite fotos,.......

Chuck
2003-Mar-21, 05:47 PM
I just heard a newsman on ABC say that he can't see the full moon now and thinks it's gone into the new moon phase.

gethen
2003-Mar-21, 09:30 PM
On 2003-03-21 12:47, Chuck wrote:
I just heard a newsman on ABC say that he can't see the full moon now and thinks it's gone into the new moon phase.

O.K., that's it. No more ABC. I don't expect everyone to be savvy about astronomy, but people whose job is, ostensibly, to disseminate information do have some responsiblilty to prepare, to think, and to be marginally aware of the things they're talking about.

beskeptical
2003-Mar-22, 01:15 AM
On 2003-03-21 12:47, Chuck wrote:

No way! I just can't believe that. On the other hand, I guess, sadly, I can believe it.

sacrelicious
2003-Mar-22, 02:05 AM
as the name suggests, ABC is the remedial news channel /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

boppa
2003-Mar-31, 01:23 PM
a protest about a cellphone tower in the Northern Territory (here in Oz) had an interview with the ringleader of the group

her statement that `We wont stop protesting until the government bans ALL forms of electromagnetic radiation' (emphasis hers) left me -and the reporter- somewhat um stupified lol

gethen
2003-Mar-31, 03:28 PM
a protest about a cellphone tower in the Northern Territory (here in Oz) had an interview with the ringleader of the group

her statement that `We wont stop protesting until the government bans ALL forms of electromagnetic radiation' (emphasis hers) left me -and the reporter- somewhat um stupified lol

So, presumably, she wants the sun banned. O.K.

SouthofHeaven
2003-Mar-31, 07:13 PM
And all the Top 40 radio stations too.

daver
2003-Mar-31, 08:49 PM
And whatever TV stations aren't carrying her picture.

RichField
2003-Apr-02, 03:04 PM
A quick BOE calc shows she is emitting approximately
4.37 kW/km^2 of energy, predominantly in the infrared, to her surroundings I think it would show great devotion to her cause if she volunteered to be the first to go. They can probably have a rocket ready by noon.

oops, conversion error

gethen
2003-Apr-03, 02:25 PM
If you want bad local news, last week the news here announced that "A giant meteor crashed through the Earth to the surface, where it broke up into a few pieces and harmed personal property. Witnesses say that they thought they were under attack from Iraq, when a blue flash was seen through the atmosphere where it lasted many times over. (then the video came on)...And this clip shows the thing as it hit us, here on the planet which we live on, called our planet."

So, she couldn't even remember that we lived on Earth, along with numerous other bad astronomy statements.

The ignorance of astronomy and space exploration just never cease to amaze me.

I'm actually left wondering if the newsperson is a native English speaker. It's like listening to a bad translation of an Arabic newscast.

pulsar4529
2003-Apr-03, 04:04 PM
Shes from here. I just think that they had no idea what they were talking about.

tracer
2003-Apr-06, 07:53 PM
"... where it lasted many times over" ?!

That's not just bad science, that's bad English.