PDA

View Full Version : laws of universe

pranab
2006-Apr-12, 01:15 PM
what is the laws of cosmos? There exist universal, mathematical laws which can be deduced and from which workings of cosmos can be deduced starting from elementary laws and building up the finaltheory of evry thing. This theory must be very unique, very simple and beutifull. One of such laws I observe is the symmetry. and this symmetry may be a) local symmetry b) Gauge symmetry C) Global Symmetry and d) supper symmetry-. In suppersymmetry unification of all laws is Possible? whereall laws have a common origin?. Do we require a new space time there?
Dr Pranab Kr Bhattacharya
Mr. Rupak Bhattacharya
Mr. Ritwik Bhattacharya
www.unipathos.com

antoniseb
2006-Apr-12, 01:58 PM
I wonder if I can get a job as a Universal Lawyer?

Sphinx
2006-Apr-12, 06:40 PM
In what context are you utilizing the term "symmetry"? The only symmetry I've seen in the universe is this balance between entropy and self-organization. This seems to produce a "symmetry" which allows for extreme diversity in smaller locals of space-time while still maintaining an asymptotic isotropic universe as scales larger than 100 M.au - my education in this area is severly lacking so my statement is more based on intuition than academic insight. I would be honored to have someone elses speculation on this interpretation of "universal balance" while operating within the parameters of the original poster's question.

Zamise
2006-Apr-12, 08:36 PM
Is that like 0 = 0 and 1 = 1 type symmetry? Seems like that would be pretty simple and symmetrical.

The Second Solipsist
2006-Apr-12, 10:06 PM
Sphinx - Symmetries are very important in physics - for every symmetry, there is a conservation law, and vice-versa. By "symmetry" is meant a transformation that doesn't change anything. For example, translational symmetry means that the laws of the universe are the same from place to place, and it implies the conservation of momentum. Gauge symmetry is another one of these. I'm not sure what's being meant by putting local and global symmetry in the list.

Supersymmetry by itself doesn't unify any force laws, but including it does make it look more likely that we could. I think what this is getting at is what's shown here (http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~noise/why.html) under "Coupling Constant Unification". No new space-time required, though.

Sphinx
2006-Apr-14, 06:58 AM
Your first paragraph is very helpful and gives me a lot to look into but the second is a bit above me. I'm finally getting around to bringing my math, astronomy and physics up to date but I think I'm just about at the high school level but with the capability to absorb pretty complex theories. But their is a difference between getting a grasp of what GR and SR mean in general but to truley understand it, you have to go through the math and to go through the math you have to teach yourself...no shortcuts...no quick reads (at least not for me anyway).

If you are willing, I would appreciate additional fundamental information regarding this topic.

The Second Solipsist
2006-Apr-14, 07:32 PM
Information on symmetries, you mean? It's a lot more in the area of particle physics than in SR or GR. The important theorem is Noether's theorem, that for every symmetry of nature, there is a conservation law, and for every conservation law, there is a symmetry of nature. David Griffiths's "Introduction to Elementary Particles" has a chapter on symmetry. He explains a symmetry as
Newton recognized that fundamental symmetries are revealed not in the motions of indvidual objects, but in the set of all possible motions - symmetries are manifest in the equations of motion rather than in particular solutions to those equations. Newton's law of universal gravitiation, for instance, exhibits spherical symmetry - the force is the same in all directions - yet planetary orbits are elliptical.

Symmetry is a really facinating topic. I'll see if I can find any good general discussions of it. A rigorous understanding of how symmetry is used in particle physics requires a bit beyond high school level math, I think, but there should be accessible presentations somewhere of time translation, space translation, and rotational symmetry.

Sphinx
2006-Apr-17, 10:16 PM
Again, thank you very much. This gives me a great deal to look into. Yes, symmetry does sound like a fascinating topic. Oh, and I was utilizing GR and SR merely to illustrate a point about different levels of comprehension about complex physics concepts which require a great deal of math proficiency to fully grasp its full effect on our understanding of reality and not as someothing which has some relationship with the concept of symmetry. I am not in a position to speculate in this manner. I will get David Griffith's book and do some reading. If needed, I'm sure the members of this forum will be happy to help me with the math.

The Second Solipsist
2006-Apr-18, 12:58 AM
I took a look through my books this weekend, and I think that "Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Second Edition)", by R. Shankar has a better discussion of symmetry from a mathematical perspective. Certainly more thorough than Griffiths. Even better, there's a large section at the beginning of the book where he goes over all the math you need to know. It's a good book for learning QM.

pranab
2006-May-01, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=. I'm not sure what's being meant by putting local and global symmetry in the list.
Bythe term Global symmetry I wanted to mean which are regulatories of laws of motion but are formulated in terms of physical events
Dr. pranab KrBhattacharya
www.unipathos.com

pranab
2006-May-01, 01:17 PM
By the term Global symmetry I wanted to mean Which are the regulatories of Laws of motion but are formulated in terms of physical events
Dr. Pranab Kr Bhattacharya
www.unipathos,com