PDA

View Full Version : self appointed star wars guru

starsage56
2006-Apr-13, 08:01 PM
hi everyone, i hope this isnt in bad taste, and since the search function doesnt seem to want to work ive resorted to actually posting this. since this is an astronomy oriented messageboard, and i havent seen much on star wars, of which i am a huge fan. so i am offering my services as general star wars knowledge guy. i know more about the story than the actual technology but i still know a lot about that. so if you have anything youve been wondering about star wars, hopefully nothing too much from ep 1-3, feel free to ask me or here, ill answer the best i can.

Musashi
2006-Apr-13, 09:16 PM
I've been trying to build a light saber, but so far no luck, any hints?

:P

Anyhow, welcome (belated) to the board.

Infinity Watcher
2006-Apr-13, 09:47 PM
Interesting (http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Films/b10015/9572254/?571) you should ask that Musashi as I found this only today (:shifty: alright its how to do the special effects for doing fan films). welcome to the board starsage56 enjoy your stay.

starsage56
2006-Apr-13, 09:54 PM
like a real one? or one that looks like a real one? it is imposible to make a real working lightsaber, at least with current technology. as for a home movie lightsaber, i wholly recomend the link provided in the above post. oh and disregard what ever george lucas has to say about colors, in my readings there are the following colors; red, blue, green, purple, yellow, silver, silver-white, and a couple others i cant remember. any other questions about light sabers can be answered by the aforementioned link, an excellent post.

Infinity Watcher
2006-Apr-13, 10:05 PM
Sorry for jumping in like that Starsage, thats my geek side ("...beware the geekside" or something like that anyway ) showing like I say I'd found that thread only today, from the smiley I suspect Musashi was just joking though, I probably better not start talking too much about star wars though otherwise its only a limited amount of time until I start ranting about making Greedo shoot first and then its liable to all go downhill from there since I've been told I can talk for far too long on random star wars, just out of interest have you seen the BA's site on some of the "bad astronomy" in star wars? makes for interesting reading.

starsage56
2006-Apr-14, 06:29 AM
thats perfectly ok, like i said, im not very knowledgeable about the tech and how to do it real life. oh i could do the same about all the screw ups in the prequels and the dvd editions of the orginal three. i almost taunt my friends into asking star wars questions just to i can rant and talk for a half hour on one or two things. i have read most of the ba stuff on star wars, i cant remember it all so ill go read it again.

starsage56
2006-Apr-14, 06:42 AM
ok, i know its been writen about numorous times, and i have a feeling some(s) will ask it here. the star wars movies have a special stupid illogical set of space physics. these are nothing more than hollywood bits. in the star wars universe, there is sound in space, there is air in space (things flare/move backwars while in motion, this would take place if the ship is accellerating though), ships move faster than light, but in what i understand as hyperspace, not real space different, thus enabling trans-galaxial travel in a day. im sure more questions like these will come up, and i promise to answer as best i can.

Lianachan
2006-Apr-14, 08:44 AM
I've been trying to build a light saber, but so far no luck, any hints?

:P

Anyhow, welcome (belated) to the board.
You can borrow mine if you like.

Here's a picture of it being haphazardly brandished by a drunken friend:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/Lianachan/Misc/th_friendsaber.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/Lianachan/Misc/friendsaber.jpg)

EricDerKonig
2006-Apr-14, 09:39 AM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/Lianachan/Misc/th_friendsaber.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/Lianachan/Misc/friendsaber.jpg)

Beer and lightsabers? Why, that's almost as bad as drinking and driving at the helm of the Death Star!

Certassar
2006-Apr-14, 03:56 PM
I once built a light sabre and it worked OK, it could even breach the force fields of battle droids. But I couldn't get the sound right, so I dropped it. And then some stupid Sith cut of my sword hand (what is it with these guys and cutting of hands?). Anyway, I dropped out of Jedi school and set up a small business of my own selling deodorants for tauntauns.

Roy Batty
2006-Apr-14, 05:14 PM

Aaaiiieee! that guy has no face! no face! anyone else find that scary? ;)

Lianachan
2006-Apr-28, 02:59 PM
I have a question for the Star Wars Guru..... The Sith, Jedi and Republic have a history that goes back thousands of years, and yet within that time there's been no significant technological advancement or progression. All those thousands of years ago, advanced technology such as lightsabers, easy and fairly swift interstellar travel via hyperspace, etc.. were commonplace and the Star Wars universe of those eras would look practically indistinguishable to the era the films are set in.

Tokien's Middle-earth displays a similar lack of technological progress, and over broadly similar timescales, but this explained by the fact that the major effect of the Rings of Power being to suppress change - to keep Middle-earth the way the Elves like it.

By what mechanism is technological advancement restrained in the Star Wars universe?

loglo
2006-Apr-28, 03:04 PM
By what mechanism is technological advancement restrained in the Star Wars universe?

Wan't the Death Star a new technological development?

Lianachan
2006-Apr-28, 03:12 PM
Wan't the Death Star a new technological development?
Bigger, certainly, but was there anything particularly new about it?

loglo
2006-Apr-28, 03:34 PM
Bigger, certainly, but was there anything particularly new about it?

Well, since we don't know how their blasters worked its quite possible it was new technology on the Death Star. :whistle:

It was certainly a new capability at least. If my memory serves me right it was Solo who said, referring to the destruction of Alderan, "Thats impossible. Not even a whole fleet of Star Destroyers could do that." And besides if it wan't new technology why didn't they build it when it was new technology?

(This is why fiction is more popular than science, the answers only have to vaguely make sense!) :D

Lianachan
2006-Apr-28, 03:59 PM
It was certainly a new capability at least. If my memory serves me right it was Solo who said, referring to the destruction of Alderan, "Thats impossible. Not even a whole fleet of Star Destroyers could do that." And besides if it wan't new technology why didn't they build it when it was new technology?
Maybe it was a new requirement or, as you say, just a new capability. But blaster technology, hyperdrives, thick armour, shields, etc - the basic stuff of the Death Star was hardly new.

My point is that things like lightsabers, hyperdrives, etc.. were all in use thousands of years before the events of the films. You can hardly say that there's been a level of progress anything like we've experienced in the real world over a similar time period. Please don't say maybe they've ran out of things to invent or discover. It's possible that maybe the inhabitants of the Star Wars universe just aren't interested, but then you'd only expect that of non-technological societies, which is definately not the case with most of the species and organisations depicted in Star Wars.

My question - to the Star Wars Guru - was, is there any explanation for this, perhaps hidden away in the extended universe or something?

darkhunter
2006-Apr-29, 12:05 AM
Possibly the Star Wars univers hit the utmost limit of technology and science those thousands of years ago--it's just too expensive and difficult to even marginally advance technology.

Robert Andersson
2006-Apr-29, 08:05 AM
I have a question!

In The Empire, after Solo et al had been chased around the asteroid belt, their hyperdrive didn't work so they couldn't "make the jump into light-speed", implying they could only travel below the speed of light.

Therefor, they went to visit Lando on the "near-by" Bespin. Since I couldn't notice any significant age difference when they got there, is it safe to assume that Bespin inhabits the same Solar System as the asteroid belt? If not, please explain! :)

Ara Pacis
2006-Apr-30, 11:26 PM
I have a question.

Imperial class Star Destroyer v. EAS Omega class Destroyer

Who would win?

Chuck
2006-May-01, 01:21 AM
Are Star Wars VII, VIII, and IX going to be made and, if not, could you post short summaries of the scripts that would have been used? I mean, you are a guru, right?

KingNor
2006-May-01, 02:40 AM
Are Star Wars VII, VIII, and IX going to be made and, if not, could you post short summaries of the scripts that would have been used? I mean, you are a guru, right?

luke becomes darth lameicus and says NOOOOOO

Metricyard
2006-May-01, 02:54 AM

George Lucas managed to milk the first 3 movies for 25 years. Now with 3 more movies to his credit, he can have a super deluxe set, a whole new digitally remastered version where luke is really leia's sister, and Chewy gets to shoot Greedo first, later changed in a new 3d digitally remaster so that Chewy shoots second, and Luke is really Darth Vader, and a decade down the road we'll have an new analog remastered version, because by then, digital will be dead and analog will rule the world.

Or not.

herzeleid
2006-May-01, 07:23 PM
Therefor, they went to visit Lando on the "near-by" Bespin. Since I couldn't notice any significant age difference when they got there, is it safe to assume that Bespin inhabits the same Solar System as the asteroid belt? If not, please explain! :)

It's not necessary that Bespin be in the same system. Time dilation effects from traveling near the speed of light would drastically reduce the time they experience. For example, if they traveled four light years, accelerating at one thousand gravities for the first two light years then turning around and decelerating at the same rate for the last two, four years would pass for someone in a rest frame, but they would experience only six days. This also has the benefit of giving Luke a long period of time to train under Yoda, instead of him going from novice to "learning all he needs to know" in only a week or two.

Robert Andersson
2006-May-01, 07:41 PM
Good point herzeleid, not sure why I overlooked the time in their frame of reference. Although, if we allow time dilation in the Star Wars universe I'd guess we have a good deal of other problems...

Wouldn't it take just some 8.5 hours to get to c under a constant acceleration of 1000g? c / (9.82 m/s2 * 1000) / 3600 s/h = 8.48 h.

herzeleid
2006-May-01, 08:16 PM
Keep in mind that things always become more complicated (http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html) when dealing with near-c velocities. Using this equation:

v = a * t / sqrt[1 + (a * t / c)2]

a = 9820 m/s2
t = 30600 s (8.5 hours)
c = 299 792 458 m/s

gives a final velocity of 212 232 173 m/s, only .7 c.

Mellow
2006-May-04, 12:03 PM
Erm, chaps.... have we frightened Starsage56 away?

Maksutov
2006-May-04, 12:31 PM
Erm, chaps.... have we frightened Starsage56 away?Perhaps he guru tired of all the detailed questions...

Mellow
2006-May-04, 12:52 PM
Perhaps I could ask him about JarJar Binks' bouyancy, is it neutral in water?

Roy Batty
2006-May-04, 01:20 PM
Depends if somebodies released him from the tonne weight wrapped around his ankles...:)

Metricyard
2006-May-04, 03:26 PM
George Lucas managed to milk the first 3 movies for 25 years. Now with 3 more movies to his credit, he can have a super deluxe set, a whole new digitally remastered version where luke is really leia's sister, and Chewy gets to shoot Greedo first, later changed in a new 3d digitally remaster so that Chewy shoots second, and Luke is really Darth Vader, and a decade down the road we'll have an new analog remastered version, because by then, digital will be dead and analog will rule the world.

Or not.

Wow, who knew?

New star wars DVD (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html)

Need I say more?

Maksutov
2006-May-04, 05:02 PM
Depends if somebodies released him from the tonne weight wrapped around his ankles...:)Meesa swim wid yousa fishies, okie-dey? [drowns]

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/9248/jare21td.gif

Robert Andersson
2006-May-04, 09:55 PM
Meesa swim wid yousa fishies, okie-dey? [drowns]

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/9248/jare21td.gif
:clap: :clap: :clap: :boohoo: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mellow
2006-May-05, 08:45 AM
JarJar Sinks methinks?