PDA

View Full Version : Multiple users on same computer

Ring
2003-Mar-18, 04:32 PM
I was going to post this in “About the BABB” but it says, “Only Moderators and Administrators can post new topics and replies to this forum” so I guess I’ll post it here.

My nephew will be staying with me for awhile, and I would like for him to be able to ask questions at the BA forum. Since we will both be using the same computer I'm not sure what the accepted way of doing this is.

Should he post under my name with a note at the bottom that "this post is not by Ring" or should he register and post under his own user name? Keep in mind that he'll be using the same computer and have the same IP.

I just want him to ask his astronomy and relativity questions at the BABB instead of constantly asking me. Especially since I don't usually know the answers.

kilopi
2003-Mar-18, 04:46 PM
There's also the Bad Bad Astronomy forum (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=6&1180), in the Administration section, that's often used to make similar requests.

David Hall
2003-Mar-18, 04:58 PM
Rule #6 (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq-english.php#rules) states that you shouldn't be posting for other people. If someone wants to participate, he needs to have his own account.

Personally, that's what I'd have suggested anyway. You don't mention how old your nephew is, but I think letting him make up his own account would help to encourage him to speak up and ask questions. Going through an intermediary tends to stifle some peoples' expressiveness.

kilopi
2003-Mar-18, 05:07 PM
I know for a fact that having two registrations on a single computer is not a problem. Although I don't use GrapesOfWrath any longer to make new posts, I could if I wanted to. You just have to be up-front about it. In my case, I cleared it with the big guy.

Ring
2003-Mar-18, 07:19 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll tell him to go ahead and register, and if the BA doesn't like it, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for him to stop it.

On 2003-03-18 12:07, kilopi wrote:
Although I don't use GrapesOfWrath any longer to make new posts, I could if I wanted to. You just have to be up-front about it. In my case, I cleared it with the big guy.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to do here. I don't post here a lot because I don't know much about astronomy, but I'm glad I found out that you've transmogrified into Kilopi--I would never have figured that out. GoW has a certain ring to it though.

In fact, now that I think about it, "Grapes of Wrath" would make a hell of a title for a book.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ring on 2003-03-18 14:31 ]</font>

g99
2003-Mar-18, 10:08 PM
On 2003-03-18 14:19, Ring wrote:

In fact, now that I think about it, "Grapes of Wrath" would make a hell of a title for a book.

Oh the sarcasm just drips from that one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mainframes
2003-Mar-19, 10:21 AM
On 2003-03-18 17:08, g99 wrote:

On 2003-03-18 14:19, Ring wrote:

Oh the sarcasm just drips from that one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Maybe we should bottle it and sell it for a profit....

g99
2003-Mar-19, 09:27 PM
Nah. The cost to buying ratio for the product would give us a loss. It would be better to just drip it into the water supply. We need more sarcastic people. Some are way to serious. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

2003-Mar-20, 10:33 AM
<a name="JD2452719.TMC"> page JD2452719.TMC aka Three Man Crews
2:34 A.M. pst it seams to help me..
whenever i approach a computer screen
to have a concept in mind
of Captain First Mate and deck hand
kind of a 1-2-3 approach
C 1 D as viewed from behind looking tward
the computer screen.. Really it seams to help me
and i see more & more 3 man crews as time passeth
It helps with the diologue, If theres an organized approach to begin with.. Yes the deck hand winds up on the mouse & 1st mate on keyboard .. but it varies {alot}

Mainframes
2003-Mar-20, 10:49 AM
On 2003-03-19 16:27, g99 wrote:
Nah. The cost to buying ratio for the product would give us a loss. It would be better to just drip it into the water supply. We need more sarcastic people. Some are way to serious. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well while we're at it can we tap Jay for some intelligence and add that to the water. I know it's needed on campus here......

kilopi
2003-Mar-20, 11:27 AM
On 2003-03-19 16:27, g99 wrote:
We need more sarcastic people. Some are way to serious.
If you meant "Some are on the way", you mispelled "Sirius."