PDA

View Full Version : Woman dies after riding Epcot ride

Titana
2006-Apr-14, 03:39 AM
HERE (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060413/ap_on_bi_ge/disney_world_death;_ylt=Akj2D0WA0f2nYDT5C6ErCmGs0N UE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-)

According to the article this ride is so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain also. The article also mentions that this ride has one warning sign posted in front that says:

For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure."

Those kind of rides seem really dangerous to me. And although there is a warning sign in front, I imagine their are people who may have certain heart conditions and not even know it .....:(

Titana

cjl
2006-Apr-14, 03:42 AM
According to the article, it only reaches 2 g's. I fail to see how this is "so intense that it causes chest pain." Many rides at amusement parks approach 4-5 g's, so either there is something unique about the ride, or the article overstates its intensity. Anyone know?

Titana
2006-Apr-14, 03:54 AM
According to the article, it only reaches 2 g's. I fail to see how this is "so intense that it causes chest pain." Many rides at amusement parks approach 4-5 g's, so either there is something unique about the ride, or the article overstates its intensity. Anyone know?

I searched for more info. on the ride and only found this:

HERE (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/attractionDetail?id=MissionSPACEAttractionPage)

This ultimate interactive thrill-packed adventure is as close as you can get to blasting off into space without leaving Earth. Each member of your astronaut team has a challenging role in a dynamic and daring cosmic mission dodging meteors and navigating nebula. Feel the force of lift-off and have an exhilarating, mystical rendezvous on another planet. It's out of this world! .........:think:

Titana

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Apr-14, 04:10 AM
I'm afraid I'm probably in the minority, but I fail to see the attraction for rides that are "thrill-packed adventures" and that are so intense as to need warning signs and motion sickness bags.

cjl
2006-Apr-14, 04:38 AM
Simple.

Adrenaline.

I see nothing wrong with them, and as long as you are in good shape, they should be no problem, and pose no hazard to your health. I personally have been on a ride that subjects riders to 5 gees with no ill effects. It has strict physical requirements, however to ensure riders safety. As long as these safety guidelines are met, I fail to see any need to hinder the operation of a very low risk ride.

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Apr-14, 04:53 AM
Simple.

Adrenaline.

I see nothing wrong with them, and as long as you are in good shape, they should be no problem, and pose no hazard to your health. I personally have been on a ride that subjects riders to 5 gees with no ill effects. It has strict physical requirements, however to ensure riders safety. As long as these safety guidelines are met, I fail to see any need to hinder the operation of a very low risk ride.

You're right of course. I admit, there's nothing quite like a good adrenaline rush. And I don't think there's anything wrong with them either. I just find them somewhat uncomfortable.

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-14, 06:36 AM
You're right of course. I admit, there's nothing quite like a good adrenaline rush. And I don't think there's anything wrong with them either. I just find them somewhat uncomfortable.

I find them uncomfortable too, and I've never been very fond of the "roller coaster" type of rides. They just aren't fun or interesting to me. Having said that, while I haven't been to Epcot in ages and Disneyland for several years, all of the Disney rides I've been on, even the "thrill rides," were quite wimpy. Unless they seriously upgraded this one, it wouldn't begin to compare to some of the rides I've been on.

Normandy6644
2006-Apr-14, 12:36 PM
Mission Space is definitely not like a roller coaster. My dad and sister love it as much as I do, and they hate roller coasters. It's without a doubt the best ride I've ever been on, but I suppose I could see where it would be difficult to bear if you were out of shape (severely) or had a heart condition.

Titana
2006-Apr-15, 04:31 PM
Mission Space is definitely not like a roller coaster. My dad and sister love it as much as I do, and they hate roller coasters.

I do not like roller coasters at all either. I only been on one and that was at Magic Mountain a very long time ago. I don't remember the name of the coaster, but I do remember it went backwards and that it scared the heck out of me. I have never ever been on another one since.

Titana

Stregone
2006-Apr-16, 12:06 AM
I don't like roller coasters either. Except the ones that shoot you out of the station. Those ones usualy have minimal negative G's, and more focus on a sense of speed.

Dragon Star
2006-Apr-16, 01:10 AM
I don't care how fast something is as long as it's not going upside down or spinning.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Apr-17, 01:54 PM
While the warning signs at rides are mostly there as a CYA for the owners/operators - people with serious conditions related to blood pressure, heart rate, release of stress hormones, etc should pay them heed. Most with these problems know they have them. If they do not, I don't see it as the ride operator's responsibility to find out for them. I guess events like these are to be expected when the general public has such easy access to stress inducing fun.

I love most of this stuff myself, with limits. I can no longer handle violently fast spinning. Tilt-a-Whirl is OK. The Round-Up is not (the one that spins you really fast and then the floor drops out). Also, post neck surgery, I now avoid roller-coasters that whip or jerk your head around violently. I like them steep, fast, and scary; but some just seem to ride too rough for my neck and back.

Reacher
2006-Apr-18, 12:09 PM
From Wikipedia:

"On April 12, 2006. Hiltrud Blümel, a 49-year-old woman from Schmitten, Germany, fell ill after riding the attraction and died at Celebration Hospital in nearby Celebration. It was later found out she died from a bleeding brain caused by high blood pressure, not by the ride."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Space

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-tourist041406,0,7767964.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

farmerjumperdon
2006-Apr-18, 01:29 PM
There you have it. I suppose if X number of people per 1,000 die of condition Y, eventually it will happen on a roller-coaster. (Or in bed or at the movies or standing in line at Walgreens).

Nicolas
2006-Apr-18, 10:17 PM
Simple.

Adrenaline.

5G? For how long? I've had sustained 2.6 G in a test plane and it was more than anything ever encountered in a rollercoaster by me - considering G forces.

Though the acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in less than 2 seconds in one coaster was kind of NUTS :D.

cjl
2006-Apr-18, 11:06 PM
5 g is not uncommon at the bottom of the first hill, or in sharply banked curves on a tall steel coaster. Not for longer than a second or two, but still incredible (example: Goliath at six flags magic mountain, Valencia, CA: final helix sustains about 4.5 g for a couple seconds). Most coasters peak at ~3 g's, perhaps a bit more, and only for a second or less. I have also experienced a coaster that accelerated you forward (out of the station) at 2g (0-38m/s in just under 2 seconds), and that was one of the most incredible experiences of speed I've ever had. It's amazing how different the acceleration feels depending on the direction it is in

Nicolas
2006-Apr-18, 11:14 PM
Negative G's are so nasty. Since I got used to them in parabolic flights I love them. Though it remains an attack on your directional organ, and to your stomach in some cases :).

Of course, as for positive G's there is an important difference between 4.5G's for 2 seconds or 2.6 G's for 8 seconds :). The latter makes your jaws separate, the former merely kicks you into your seat :).

cjl
2006-Apr-18, 11:25 PM
Absolutely agreed :)

I won't claim it pulls sustained g's nearly like an airplane (fighter or stunt) can, just that they can hit HARD for a couple of seconds.

I'm addicted to adrenaline, and although I hate negative g's, 0 g is an incredible feeling :)

Metricyard
2006-Apr-18, 11:30 PM
I can't do any of those rides anymore either. It messes me up bad. Anything over a turnstyle is off limits to me.

Captain Kidd
2006-Apr-19, 12:09 AM
My wife's love of roller coasters got cut short when she was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension (inability to maintain a steady blood pressure). Now she's one of those with "a heart condition" that technically prevents her from riding. Although she has ignored it and gotten on one or two. But the thrill for her has waned. I never really was into them.

I think every coaster has the heart condition warning so it's kinda misleading/unfair to call that out in the article.

Titana
2006-Apr-19, 01:48 AM
From Wikipedia:

"On April 12, 2006. Hiltrud Blümel, a 49-year-old woman from Schmitten, Germany, fell ill after riding the attraction and died at Celebration Hospital in nearby Celebration. It was later found out she died from a bleeding brain caused by high blood pressure, not by the ride."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Space

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-tourist041406,0,7767964.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

The death is the second within a year associated with the $100 million ride at Epcot.

Last June, Daudi Bamuwamye, 4, of Sellersville, Pa., died while riding with his mother and sister. An autopsy showed that he suffered from a rare and undiagnosed enlargement of his heart.

So it's the second death associated with this ride according to the article....:think:

Titana

hewhocaves
2006-Apr-19, 02:15 AM
I've been on this ride. It's a glorified centrifuge. And it's a mild 2Gs. (if that's possible). I could lift my back off the back wall with only moderate difficulty and I'm not in the world's greatest shape. (I'm about thirty pounds overweight). Turning my head wasn't that hard either.

One thing you have to understand about disney is that EVERYONE goes there. (statistically speaking). There are excessively overweight people there who get exhauseted walking to the rides. I forget how many people Disney passes through their turnstiles daily, but I'm honestly surprised that considering the shape our country is in (pear shaped) more people haven't died on things like the tea-cups. Given the number of people that do go on this ride, you will inevitably get those one or two statistical flukes.

Or to put it another way - compared to this, driving a car is downright suicidal.

Nicolas
2006-Apr-19, 09:40 AM
It's a bit like a festival where multiple people have died over the years.

How strange, they receive 400.000 people and once every few years one of them decides to die while being on the festival. (I'm not talking about people being stabbed or things like that).

If you apply general death statistics on the ride, is it remarkable that 2 people have died? If you compare it to a no-adrenaline thing where lots of people come, have people died there? How many people die while being inside a coach on their way to a holiday destination? Is that due to huge G forces ? Or statistics?

Gillianren
2006-Apr-19, 06:47 PM
I think every coaster has the heart condition warning so it's kinda misleading/unfair to call that out in the article.

Indeed. I know, for example, that Star Tours has a fairly lengthy disclaimer. I think that, at Magic Mountain, they pretty much just put one at the beginning of the park. ("Warning: if you're riding anything more strenuous than the merry-go-round, you shouldn't have List of Health Conditions Here.")