PDA

View Full Version : "Starfleet Academy" Rumor Resurfaces

SeanF
2006-Apr-21, 01:15 PM
Think it's true (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060421/en_nm/leisure_startrek_dc_2) this time?

I wasn't too fond of the idea of "young Kirk and Spock" when they first floated it a few years ago, and I'm still not impressed.

Fall 2008, by the way, will mark the point where The Next Generation is as old as the original Star Trek was when TNG premiered...

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Apr-21, 01:29 PM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erisi236
2006-Apr-21, 03:54 PM
ugh, can't they explore the FUTURE of Star Trek as opposed to it's past :P

ggremlin
2006-Apr-21, 05:49 PM
Wouldn't work anyway.

Spock had been in StarFleet for at least twenty years prior to Kirk showing up.

SolusLupus
2006-Apr-21, 05:52 PM
ugh, can't they explore the FUTURE of Star Trek as opposed to it's past :P

What, "The Next Generation" didn't do that?

erisi236
2006-Apr-21, 06:15 PM
What, "The Next Generation" didn't do that?

yes, and then DS9 was the future of NexGen, and Voyager was a bit more in the future, the next series should be another 10 years or so after that :)

Roy Batty
2006-Apr-21, 06:27 PM
yes, and then DS9 was the future of NexGen, and Voyager was a bit more in the future, the next series should be another 10 years or so after that :)
Hey! lets call it 'Star Generation Deep Voyager Enterprise: Academy'?:shifty:

antoniseb
2006-Apr-21, 06:31 PM
can't they explore the FUTURE of Star Trek as opposed to it's past

I seem to remember that in NextGen they had several stories that ended with things where fifteen or twenty years down the road, they would be privy to tremendous new knowledge and technology that would transform humanity. Of course the time travelers from the future didn't seem to support all that, but still, I think they've painted themselves into a corner for the future.

SeanF
2006-Apr-21, 06:58 PM
Well, it's on the official Star Trek website (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/15891.html) now, so there must be some truth to it.

SeanF
2006-Apr-21, 07:04 PM
Wouldn't work anyway.

Spock had been in StarFleet for at least twenty years prior to Kirk showing up.
Not according to the official website.

Spock (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/characters/TOS/bio/1112508.html) was in the Academy from 2249 to 2253, while Kirk (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/characters/TOS/bio/1112496.html) was in from 2250 to 2254.

Were there episodes that established a greater time difference than that?

pumpkinpie
2006-Apr-21, 07:14 PM
JJ Abrams = Good

Young Kirk and Spock = Not so good.

I think if there is something made about "Starfleet Academy," it should be a tv series, and set in the present time. Well, not our present, but Star Trek's present. Post Voyager, TNG, DS9 an appropriate number of years since they have been on. I think that would be exciting--to see what folks have to go through to get Starship Certified!

I agree, stop going into the past!!!

sidmel
2006-Apr-21, 08:10 PM
Yeah, young Kirk, young Spock, I don't think I could take it. But....and this is a big but (no disrespect to Finding Nemo intended), it might be interesting if they picked up Starfleet Academy shortly after the time of First Contact, just before the Enterprise series. We might get to see them put up the statue of Cochrane (sp?).

I did like the first few episodes of the Enterprise series and a number of the later episodes as well.

Van Rijn
2006-Apr-21, 09:46 PM
I like Star Trek but . . . this makes me think of Dracula in a Hammer film. Just make it stop!

Now I'm wondering what the final name for the series will be - Stardate 90210, perhaps?

Charly
2006-Apr-21, 10:37 PM
Sounds awful.

Shows how stale the show is that they keep having to do prequels.

The creative freedom by following on from DS9 and Voyager is just too much for them. They have truely lost the plot!!!

ggremlin
2006-Apr-22, 08:27 PM
Were there episodes that established a greater time difference than that?

I'm not that much of a trekkie, but based on the original material from Star Trek, particularly The Menagerie show".

Spock has been Star Fleet, a long time. "The Cage", pilot episode was set in a period twenty years prior and Spock was 3rd or 4th in line of command.

In other episodes, Kirk would talk about his days at the Academy and Spock would not know what he was talking about.

Off-line materials, make note of the fact that Spock and Kirk first meeting is the "Where no man has goes before" episode.

Background is a slippery slope when talking about a fictional story so I'm probably wrong, but that was my impressions during the original TV series.

Swift
2006-Apr-23, 12:08 AM
I like Star Trek but . . . this makes me think of Dracula in a Hammer film. Just make it stop!

Now I'm wondering what the final name for the series will be - Stardate 90210, perhaps?
I was thinking along those lines too, especially if the series was on Fox. :(

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Apr-23, 05:21 PM
this is the same tired/cliched idea that they keep dredging up every 10 or so years....again....this just shows how bankrupt the franchise is of new ideas....

Glom
2006-Apr-23, 06:52 PM
It...

Won't...

Die!!!

Makgraf
2006-Apr-23, 07:13 PM
This is the worst thing to ever happen.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Apr-23, 07:36 PM
Ugh. Does anyone have 13 feet of rope they can send me? Preferably hemp. It slides where nylon would bind.

Gillianren
2006-Apr-23, 08:01 PM
This is the worst thing to ever happen.

If that's true in your life, you're very lucky. It is a pretty bad thing, though.

Weird Dave
2006-Apr-23, 08:44 PM
Here's an idea:

I'm sure you're all familiar with the Mirror Universe - where good guys from our universe (i.e. regular Star Trek) become evil and sprout goatees. Somehow, everybody in the real universe has an equivalent in the Mirror Universe. So what about the Borg?
http://qntm.org/mirrorborg

Makgraf
2006-Apr-23, 09:03 PM
If that's true in your life, you're very lucky. It is a pretty bad thing, though.
It's just an expression of mine :)

It's in George Stephanopoulos' book and comes from Clinton's 1993 State of Union. Someone had put the wrong speech in the Teleprompter:
"This is the worst thing that's ever happened," I muttered. "I dunno," replied Mike Feldman, the vice-president's aide, "the Holocaust was pretty bad."

I found it pretty funny and use some variety of that line.

Weird Dave,
The mirror universe isn't just a bad-is-good-and-good-is-bad thing. There are people who are "good" in both universes and people who are "bad" in both. So I highly doubt the Borg would be "good" in the mirror universe. More importantly the whole idea seems like a Dominion War redux but with bigger explosions. Kinda getting away from the point of Trek. Of course what do I know, as I'd want something about the political machinations on occupied Cardassia. Yeah, that'd be popular.

Weird Dave
2006-Apr-23, 09:39 PM
Of course what do I know, as I'd want something about the political machinations on occupied Cardassia. Yeah, that'd be popular. Maybe it wouldn't have visual spectacle for a TV series, but a decent writer could devote a few books to it.

I never really understood the point of the Mirror Universe (that wasn't my idea). I'd like to see one of these ideas:

Star Trek: Andromeda
Starfleet builds the fastest ship ever, for an epic voyage of exploration in the Andromeda Galaxy. Because the progenitor race (who seeded our galaxy with all the humanoid species) never went there, we will see no humanoid aliens. Let the writers' imaginations run wild! This would probably be most like the original series - good old fashioned exploring, with very little contact with home.

Star Trek: Borg
Seven of Nine proved that it is possible for drones to leave the collective. What if a whole cube broke free? By spontaneous failures, by deliberate rebellion, by sabotage, or some other reason. The drones (now crew) have to work hard to regain their individuality while maintaining all the benefits of being Borg - regeneration, tight teamwork etc. Some of them want to return home - how can they possibly persuade people to trust former Borg? And they continually seek contact with the Federation, Klingons, etc - anyone who might be able to liberate the rest of the collective. But all the while, the collective is hunting the rebels...

Maybe not the best ideas ever, but can't be worse than Nemesis:(.

PS Enterprise only ran for 4 seasons? It seemed to go on much longer than that..

erisi236
2006-Apr-24, 03:08 PM
I think they've painted themselves into a corner for the future.

Of course painting themselves into a corner means NOTHING to Trek writers :)

One of the reasons I hate Treks "past" is that they play so fast and loose with it's "history". I liked Enterprise, but damn, Klingons in the first episode? Foreheads of the week that are our good buddies on Enterprise and are never seen or heard from again in the other shows? the Borg for Gawds sake?!?

They make Captain Archer to be pretty much the saviour of Humanity but is there even a ship named after him in TNG? (actual question BTW) At least if they continued on from Voyager they could make up stuff that wouldn't really muddle with what we already know (not MUCH anyway, see the Borg).

Demigrog
2006-Apr-24, 03:24 PM
I think they should completely ignore all Trek "history" except the original series and hire JMS to write them a real series. Of course, we've already had this discussion on this board way too many times. :)

aporetic_r
2006-Apr-24, 04:48 PM
Perhaps a new Star Trek series in which just a handful of crewmembers fly around on an old, small, beat-up ship, doing whatever they can to make money and keep flying as they try to avoid the overbearing encroachments of the technologically superior but authoritarian UFP. They could get Joss Whedon to write and direct it.

Aporetic

pumpkinpie
2006-Apr-24, 05:03 PM
Perhaps a new Star Trek series in which just a handful of crewmembers fly around on an old, small, beat-up ship, doing whatever they can to make money and keep flying as they try to avoid the overbearing encroachments of the technologically superior but authoritarian UFP. They could get Joss Whedon to write and direct it.

Aporetic

I'd watch that! ;)

NEOWatcher
2006-Apr-24, 05:23 PM

Aporetic

Oh, are you implying that Nog made admiral?

Trynn Allen
2006-Apr-24, 05:58 PM
Yeah Gods and Little Doggies...

Why don't we pursue the other idea that was floated around. The voyages of the Starship Excelsior under the Command of Captian Sulu.

Makgraf
2006-Apr-24, 06:11 PM
They make Captain Archer to be pretty much the saviour of Humanity but is there even a ship named after him in TNG? (actual question BTW)
There is a USS Archer that is mentioned in Nemesis and a planet Archer IV in TNG. (edit)

I don't think installing JMS as Vicar could hurt but after watching season 5, Crusade and the B5 movies I'm not the devotee I once was. Certainly if he gets put in he gets no control over the music.

Inferno
2006-Apr-26, 03:05 AM
Everybody loves prequels!

No we don't. This is an awful idea. For one, Kirk and Spock aren't just characters you can imitate. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy are Kirk and Spock. Anyone else will just seem like their doing a bad parody.

The best idea (other than a 10 year break) is to do a TNG and skip ahead 80 years after Voyager and start a new series with new characters. Maybe one that's not even aboard a starfleet vessel? Therefore no silly rule book to follow, no matching outfits, no annoying beeping touch screens?

antoniseb
2006-Apr-26, 03:19 PM
You could make Starfleet Academy a high tech animated feature film with Shatner and Nimoy as the voices.

IsaacKoi
2006-Apr-26, 04:04 PM
You could make Starfleet Academy a high tech animated feature film with Shatner and Nimoy as the voices.

Cringe...

That sounds almost as bad as "Star Trek : Enterprise"...

By the way, the Starfleet Academy film is mentioned at the end of the wikipedia article on the Academy. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet_Academy

Anyone know anything more about the Starfleet Academy motto discussed, at the end of that article:

"The Academy's motto is "Ex astris, scientia" - "from the stars, knowledge". This is a paraphrase of the Apollo 13 motto "Ex luna scientia," - "From the moon, knowledge." In turn, the Apollo 13 motto was a paraphrase of "Ex scientia tridens," the motto of the United States Naval Academy, meaning "From knowledge, seapower."

All the best,

Isaac

Demigrog
2006-Apr-26, 07:55 PM

No we don't. This is an awful idea. For one, Kirk and Spock aren't just characters you can imitate. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy are Kirk and Spock. Anyone else will just seem like their doing a bad parody.

I'd disagree; Shatner has been incapable of playing Kirk since about Star Trek III, IMO. He does not take the role seriously, and has let his own personality infect the character too much. Of course, I blame the directors (heh, Shatner himself in V) as much as him. He also looks very different from original series self; recasting the role would be a blessing.

teddyv
2006-Apr-26, 08:31 PM

The best idea (other than a 10 year break) is to do a TNG and skip ahead 80 years after Voyager and start a new series with new characters. Maybe one that's not even aboard a starfleet vessel? Therefore no silly rule book to follow, no matching outfits, no annoying beeping touch screens?

I like this idea as well.

I'm not really sure, but the few times I've seen Andromeda it suggests a very far into the future of the post-Federation (I base this on the common basis of both being Roddenberry creations-correct me if I'm wrong).

Perhaps a show set near the breakdown of the Federation.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Apr-27, 10:42 AM
I find it interesting that it is already being refuted somewhat-

http://www.trektoday.com/news/260406_02.shtml

I think it's a terrible idea anyway....so....

Doodler
2006-Apr-27, 10:12 PM
Star Trek: Andromeda
Starfleet builds the fastest ship ever, for an epic voyage of exploration in the Andromeda Galaxy. Because the progenitor race (who seeded our galaxy with all the humanoid species) never went there, we will see no humanoid aliens. Let the writers' imaginations run wild! This would probably be most like the original series - good old fashioned exploring, with very little contact with home.

Shatner's Trek series books are going to cover something like this. Should be interesting.

baselle
2006-Apr-28, 05:28 AM
I have no clue what you would call it, but how about this:

Meta-story the whole thing, make the whole ST franchise the story inside the story. Strand a Vulcan sociologist in say, late 1950s Earth (which if I remember they did on an episode of Enterprise), whose mission is studying/altering the cultural norms of Earth to ready them for first contact. He ends up as a TV writer working with Roddenberry, where he writes about "what he knows". Perhaps later on - many light years later on - when some of the original ST episodes hit Vulcan, he gets paid a visit.

It has the virtue of:
1.) being cheap - you can set the series in the present time;
2.) being universal - want to be in a Star Trek?..you are in one!;
3.) new twists on some of the stories about making the original series;
4.) are the aliens really alien or stereotypes of TV writing <insert grin here>; 5.) and if you want some thriller/chase episodes, you've got them.

Ara Pacis
2006-May-01, 12:18 AM
Yeah Gods and Little Doggies...

Why don't we pursue the other idea that was floated around. The voyages of the Starship Excelsior under the Command of Captian Sulu.

I think SNL explored that one...

How about a show where all the little empires and federations have to unite and fend off a series of political machinations and stealth attacks by a larger more ancient cosmic race.

Oh wait, that's Babylon 5.

I'd like to see a miniseries where the enterprise X is fighting the borg and finally beat them, only to pull out at the end and find out they are plugged into a borg Matrix and dreaming it all up. Either that or wake up and discover it was all a dream by Dave Newhart.

Swift
2006-May-01, 12:45 PM
I'd like to see a miniseries where the enterprise X is fighting the borg and finally beat them, only to pull out at the end and find out they are plugged into a borg Matrix and dreaming it all up. Either that or wake up and discover it was all a dream by Dave Newhart.
Bob Newhart?
And Susan Pleschette is Counselor Troi?

ggremlin
2006-May-01, 01:51 PM
Bob Newhart?
And Susan Pleschette is Counselor Troi?

Kirk steps out of the shower?

NEOWatcher
2006-May-01, 03:04 PM
How about Cap Cisco waking up to realize he really is a writer in a padded cell?

SeanF
2006-May-02, 04:30 PM
No. (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=51139) No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Metricyard
2006-May-02, 05:15 PM
I wish I could direct a Star Trek movie.

In the opening scene, the Borg come out of nowhere and totally anihlate the federation, earth, vulcan, kingons, etc. The end.

Of course, it would be a short movie, but at least you could have about 20 showings in one day.

Roy Batty
2006-May-02, 05:29 PM
I wish I could direct a Star Trek movie.

In the opening scene, the Borg come out of nowhere and totally anihlate the federation, earth, vulcan, kingons, etc. The end.

Of course, it would be a short movie, but at least you could have about 20 showings in one day.
Don't forget the director's cut showing an extra minute of footage at the end with the Vorlons/Shadows/OldOnes etc then annihilating the Borg ;)

ggremlin
2006-May-02, 06:26 PM
Talk about quiet on the set!

Swift
2006-May-02, 08:23 PM
It might be fun as an animated short - I've seen ones that short at various animation festivals. Bambi Meets Godzilla (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064064/) is one example

Metricyard
2006-May-02, 10:15 PM
Don't forget the director's cut showing an extra minute of footage at the end with the Vorlons/Shadows/OldOnes etc then annihilating the Borg ;)

:razz:

Just a nitpick, it should be the first ones, not old ones. It matters:shifty:

Really though, Star Trek should be shelved for at least 10 years. It just doesn't have the flair it once did. Too much of a good thing and all that.

SeanF
2006-Jun-22, 09:24 PM
No. (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=51139) No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
And again:

No. (http://insider.tv.yahoo.com/insidetrack/malkin/) No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

harlequin
2006-Jun-23, 03:15 AM
And again:

No. (http://insider.tv.yahoo.com/insidetrack/malkin/) No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Are you saying that James T. Kirk is not the role that Matt Damon was Bourne for?

SeanF
2006-Jun-23, 01:20 PM
Are you saying that James T. Kirk is not the role that Matt Damon was Bourne for?
Nope. I'm not nearly corny enough to say something like that. ;)

Gillianren
2006-Jun-23, 04:02 PM
That's just not okay. I mean, what, are they going to cast Ben Affleck as Spock next? (I hope not; Spock doesn't chew gum all the time.)

Swift
2006-Jun-23, 04:10 PM
That's just not okay. I mean, what, are they going to cast Ben Affleck as Spock next? (I hope not; Spock doesn't chew gum all the time.)
That is so evil. Now all I can hear in my head are various Spock lines about logic, but in Ben's thick Boston accent. :D

R.A.F.
2006-Jun-23, 04:49 PM
Shatner gave his blessing

It's good to see that Bill Shatner still has his sense of humor. :)

Matherly
2006-Jun-23, 07:14 PM
Just a nitpick, it should be the first ones, not old ones.

Actually, I think it would be freaking hilarious to watch Cthulu(sp?) eating the head off a Borg.

Ara Pacis
2006-Jun-23, 08:42 PM
Old Ones could refer to Heinlein's dead martians too. The Borg would never be able to harm them. It might take a few thousand years (or a few million) but the Old Ones might decide it's aesthetically pleasing to get rid of the Borg and they'd all disappear in the blink of an eye.

Doodler
2006-Jun-23, 10:00 PM

If they're smart, they'll get him to play Gary Mitchell, then we'll get to watch him die in a future flash. :D

Tobin Dax
2006-Jun-24, 05:33 AM
That's just not okay. I mean, what, are they going to cast Ben Affleck as Spock next?
Then there's Jason Mewes as Kang and Kevin Smith as Silent Kor. :D (Excuse my blasphemy.)

Chip
2006-Jun-24, 06:48 AM
How about a show about the cast of original show with actors who resemble and play the original actors? We'd see behind the scenes shenanigans as well as action on and off the set, and silly situations. For example, the actor who portrays William Shatner (as he appeared in 1966) arrives in his Maserati and walks into makeup reading today's script. We'd see them shooting parts of a familiar episode. Later Shatner is worried that Leonard Nimoy will find out that he, (Shatner) hid Leonard's bicycle while filming "The Corbomite Maneuver." Later he leaves and has to buy groceries for dinner that night but can't decide if it will be pizza or hamburgers. At the market, he runs into Nimoy who is suspicious of the missing bicycle, which he has since found and brought with him into the store. Shatner later tells his girlfriend that he feels that Leonard deliberately brought in the bike to intimidate Shatner into confessing. But he "won't give him the satisfaction." Next day, it boils over onto the set during the filming of Kirk's argument with Mr. Bailey in "The Corbomite Maneuver" as the actor who portrays Anthony Hall (who portrayed Bailey,) arrives on the set on Nimoy's barrowed bicycle! Despite all this minutia, the real story within the show is about how they came up with the name "Corbomite." The show would be filmed in front of a live audience. Gene Roddenberry could be played by Michael Richards. It could be written by Larry David.

Ara Pacis
2006-Jun-24, 07:40 AM
That would be so wrong on so many levels... I love it.

Demigrog
2006-Jun-28, 06:30 PM
I think they should completely ignore all Trek "history" except the original series and hire JMS to write them a real series. Of course, we've already had this discussion on this board way too many times. :)

Heh, JMS released the Star Trek treatment (http://trekweb.com/articles/2006/06/19/J-Michael-Straczynski-and-Bryce-Zabels.shtml) he and Bryce Zabels put together in 2004. It sounds pretty much like what I'd like to see, except that I would use some of the early Trek novels (A.C. Crispin's and Diane Duane's in particular) as source material. The basic story did seem to have a rather... B5ish... sound to it though.